The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..31..37..43..49..55..57~58~59 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2965 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Here's a piece I've been working on for the last year, about:

http://youtu.be/deHDdqgQDRI

Laurie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hi Laurie.

Looks great, I couldn't hear it too well but I got the gist.

I like your black cat in the monkey fist video.

Mary Mowder
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Hi Laurie, I couldn't hear it very well, and I "didn't" get the gist. I'm sorry. I do however, REALLY like "Franklin takes flight"!

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2965 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks for your comments. Cash, named after the Man in Black himself, is my monkey fist quality control supervisor. Smile I'll pass your comment along to him, Mary. He'll appreciate it. Smile
Apologies for the muddy audio- the camera mic's not the greatest. I might get a chance to reshoot. Not to spell it out for you, Jorey, but I'll give you the script here:
"This fawn is protected by her pretty white spots... When she's left alone in the wild by her mother, and the sun shines between the trees, and the wind rustles the grass and leaves... to her predators... she becomes invisible..."

Laurie
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Very nice. Well done Laurie.

Hudson
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Now I get it. Thanks, Laurie. ' appreciate that.
Jorey

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Hi all, The Burt/Scarne ball vanish is coming along rather nicely. I want to share about some subtleties I'm working on with this, but I assume this open forum is not the place.

Jorey

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jorey,

You can post about this in the "Secret Sessions" forum area in the "Who Will Stand (in Deep Stuff) with Me" thread.

-Mary
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Thanks, Mary!

Jorey

Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Laurie,

Nice! Definitely I can relate to in my work!

Pete
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2965 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You're welcome, Jorey. And thankyou Hudson, and Pete.
Hope to get some video of the rabbits next.
:magicrabbit:
Laurie
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Hi all - just wanted to pop in and say I haven't forgotten about magic completely. As some of you know, I've been dealing with some family health issues here in Seattle. I had JUST relocated to Los Angeles when I had to fly back up here with just a few hours notice, and therefore left all of my coins, cups and balls and other goodies in L.A. as I had no time to pack them. I managed to bring Michael Skinner's 3 card monte (which I've been doing so long it really doesn't need the practice) and I picked up a deck of cards, and Rattled came a few days ago and I've already performed that and had good reactions with the very basic routine. Hoping I can get a few items sent up here to keep me busy while I play care taker...mom keeps referring to me as "Dr. Zuber" since I'm all about dispensing medication and medical advice these days.

Glad to see the thread is alive and people are continuing to rehearse!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Hi, Andrew-

Really sorry to hear your family is having some medical issues. All these other "pastimes" kinda slip to the back when real stuff rears its head. Hope all goes well for you. Want me so send you some stuff to work on? Likely your mother would appreciate it. Monte can get a little much after about 200 rounds...

Take care and keep in touch! Yes, I am serious about sending you some stuff!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I've been working on NewsFlash 2.0 maybe 20 min a day for a week. I had stopped practice for a while and my hands aren't really strong enough yet. The 2.0 is faster to set up and is better for US "thin" format papers.

I still have a couple of problems. 2 patter lines plus silent to music. I think silent to music is my favorite at this time. Trying to do 15 min a day till August 18.

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Mary - did you own the first version of Newsflash? I have it and would be interested in the comparison between the two to determine if 2.0 is worth the money at some point. Also, any thoughts on the quick setup (the two minute version?)

Back to stack memorization for me!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes, I do own both. I love the new one. The set-up for the restore-al paper is faster and more flat. I was getting a great response from the first version and THE EFFECT IS THE SAME so it's really about your budget and if you're comfortable with the occasional harder process of making the restore-al paper.

There are some good variations in the 2.0 (A no tear poster version, a mis-made and no glue version as well as a tabloid version but I haven't tried them) and the instructions include a template for marking exactly where to fold US "thin" format papers although what makes the 2.0 the best is that the folding process is referenced to the paper itself, that is to say that once you know the fold you can do it quickly using only the paper itself as a measure.

All in all, I'm glad I was able to get the 2.0. It surely makes practice easier for me. My only problem with 2.0 is that it makes the effect more accessible to more Magicians. With the first version I felt assured that most would not go to the trouble of perfecting their performance. Now many more WILL.

-Mary Mowder
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Andrew,

Thoughts and prayers go out to you!

Everyone,
I've been more in an exploratory phase. I've been going through lots of closeup options to put together my routine sets for Hocus Pocus Party in November for our Ring. Lots of rubberband, matchbox, ropes, and coin stuff. Once I have figured out my direction I will focus on the practice of these.

Pete
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I highly recommend "The Dennis Loomis Knot Routine Plus" DVD and not just because I have a cameo on it. The effects can be in a routine or done one at a time which makes it very versatile. I did a few rope effects before my friend Dennis started working up the Material (other than his routine) and how to teach it. His interest was so infectious that I got a renewed interest in Rope Magic. Now I'd say I have more Rope Magic than any other kind. There is lots to choose from here and easy to fit in Close-Up, MC, Stage, Birthday Parties etc... Well taught from the "performers view" as well.

Super fun to practice, alone or with Magic friends!

http://www.loomismagic.com

This site also has Dennis' Mem. Deck articles. I'd say Dennis is an authority on the Mem. Deck, esp. Aronson.

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Peter - thank you!

Mary - appreciate the thoughts on Newsflash! Once I have the money some day I'll certainly invest in it, as I got great reactions with the initial version but did find the setup to be rather intense. Definitely worth the reactions but still a fair amount of time and labor.

Stack memorization is more difficult than I thought! I need note cards Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Try searching the "Shuffled not Stirred" forum for free downloadable drills for Aronson Stack. I'm not sure which technology they work with but I know some are available.

There is always the tried and true tape it up in the bathroom. One of the suggestions was backwards behind the mirror so it is visible over your shoulder while shaving. I haven't tried that myself.

-Mary Mowder