The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..31..38..45..52..57~58~59 [Next]
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Agree with Mary that the only issue on planes are knives. Plan for a little extra time to get through security - I did once get stopped and questioned about a two-piece wand. Got through, but just took a little longer.

The only practice I do on planes is with cards - not tricks, but card skills like false shuffles and controls.

Enjoy the trip!

Hudson
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Thanks Hudson! I don't do cards, but practicing palming coins is always on my itinerary!

Pete
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I generally avoid practice on planes, as the chance of exposure is too great. Doubt I need to say it, but avoiding anything liquid, pointy, smoke. fire, flash, or Randi Rain's dynamite sticks would be good...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hello all,

I did my first Library show yesterday. Pretty good for a first show. My CD player skipped a little (my Ipod just broke) and my rice suspension took more than one try (not obvious to the crowd) but terrifying to perform since my container is glass and it holds more than a quart of rice. One flash but I don't think more than two saw it. Other than that just fine.

I know it will get better with live work. I have a show tomorrow and two more next week. My saving grace is that I panic early enough to come through when I'm in over my head.

I know I need to get a new plastic rice jug pronto.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Hi, Mary. What is the theme of a rice suspension? Never heard of it...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'll tell you in secret sessions this evening.

-Mary
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Thanks everybody! I had a great time. I got back today. I worked on some rubberband and ring routines, handling for Professor's Nightmare and did some reading on coins. Everyone around me was asleep and all was good.

Pete
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
WOW Pete, you must be quite the entertainer LOL!

Glad you had fun.

-Mary
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Mary,

NICE! I'm performing for my club on Monday. I am doing the Professor's Nightmare with a Goldilocks intervention patter I came up with. How did your show go yesterday?

Pete
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It went well, especially since it was an out door show and I decided to use my jet set back drop curtain ( a recipe for disaster a which did not occur). A train went by at least 3 times during the show but I guess they are used to it because they were attentive throughout. The order of the show needs some work though.

I still have not replaced my Ipod so I'm using a CD player for Music. I'm going to skip the remote control, it just doesn't work. I'd be better off to just go push the buttons.

I've hurt my back a bit so Tom came to load the Tables (which are quite heavy) and I enjoy having Tom come along.

I also had an indoor Close-Up show for the Teens. That went very well and especially well because a ten year old boy came to the show. He was not a particularly good child but a perfect foil, like demanding to see the knot just before I was going to "pop" it off the Rope. Then after I handed him the knot he threw it back at me hitting me (softly) on my cheek. I caught it on the rebound and said "Don't be knotty" and got a big laugh. Of corse the Teens were amazed by the Magic but I think having the younger (Dalyn) there took the pressure off of them to be cool in the face of Magic. They were a very friendly and reactive group.

Thanks for asking, Pete. Good luck on your show Monday. The patter line sounds fun!

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Hope you are OK with the back, Mary, be careful- I chopped wood after a back problem, and have been paying for that error ever since...

Jim
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Mary,

Quick wit with that child's PUNishment! I hope your back recovers soon. Glad things are going well with the show. Did your rice suspension hold up fo rthis one? The order will come. Keep producing smiles!

Pete
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yep, it suspended and I was in suspense.

-Mary
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Check out Nature's Magic under Little Darlings. Mary you may have some ideas for Silvertongue.

Pete
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Jim, I'm in. Can we go over the criteria again for us newbies?

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Here you go. The thread has not worked out quite like this but it is very supportive and inspiring.

[qoute]
On 2009-10-04 17:45, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
OK- I am way better with resolve in the fall and winter. Who knows why...

Many of us simply DO NOT practice enough! And while I thank Steve for the Café, it is up to US to use it for the betterment of ourselves and magic. So, I propose the following:

1, Anyone who wants can add their name and goal to the list I am about to create.

2. Anyone can change their goals at any time.

3. We meet back here to discuss progress and help each other stay on target.

4. No fibs, do it or admit it, but no fibs.

5. Entry fee for a post on this thread is 30 minutes of REAL practice, No matter if for an audience, a real show, in your basement all alone... it is ALL better than just reading about it...

6. Perhaps video will be in order later...

FORMAT:

Your name or identifier

Your goal (the effect or sleight or routine you want to master - ONLY one.

How much time devoted to it each session

Sessions per week

Projected Date of Competency

NO CRITICS - only encouragement and help here

This is a self-help group, and I think it could be a lot of fun. Care to Join?

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 5:49pm
Hey- GREAT IDEA - I am in!!!

1. Jim Rogers

2. Harbottle's 4 coin vanish

3. 30 minutes

4. 5

5. June 1st

My thumbs hurt already...
[/quote]

I'd like to thank Jim for forming a great group.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Okee-doekee,

1. Jorey (afinemesh).

2. Brad Burt/John Scarne "roll" vanish (for chop cup or C&B's).

3. 30 mins.

4. 7

5. Not sure. I keep raising the bar.

I gotta go practice!
Jorey

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Welcome Jorey! Look forward to hearing about your progress!

Hudson
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Thanks, Hudson. My new favorite thread!

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

So, how is everyone doing? As for me, I am back in the groove, with another challenge for me as follows:

Your name or identifier: Jim

Your goal (the effect or sleight or routine you want to master) - ONLY one: Ring and String

How much time devoted to it each session: 30 minutes

Sessions per week: 5

Projected Date of Competency: Labor day

Welcome, Afinemesh! Glad to have you with us! You will find we are all committed to mastering some fine magic, one thing at a time. The common goal is, keep at it with some kind of regular schedule. Even 5 minutes a day works wonders in just a few weeks. It is rather amazing! Good luck to you with your practice, and keep us informed as to how you are doing. I, for one, get a lot of inspiration from hearing what others are doing. Many the time I hit the practice tee after reading how someone else would not give up!

Mary, thank you! You are a sweetheart, and truly my best inspiration!!!

Jim