The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Pocket Roulette (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1888 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Hey Green Room fam! Hope you’re all safe and well!

I got a little preview into this, studied all the supplied materials and made a quick snappy review so you can get most of the questions asked here on the cafe answered in under seven minutes.

If you’re curious on anything additional or just want to say “hi” then leave a comment and I’ll do my best to respond in a timely manner Smile

https://youtu.be/YezQWSAu2Ls?si=bMta7JV-8zQgvK-k

-Jake
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2899 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Hey Jacob, just out of curiosity: can you disclose your position in the industry? You don’t come across as a “normal” reviewer. Are you commercially involved?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Memorizing a card from a fan on steroids?
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, magicmind wrote:

There is no memorisation work involved in this routine.

Hope that helps.

- G
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1888 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Hey Jacob, just out of curiosity: can you disclose your position in the industry? You don’t come across as a “normal” reviewer. Are you commercially involved?

Sorry brother, just saw this!

I’m just a dude, but I like I disclose in the video, I’m a freelance filmmaker that occasionally works with Ellusionist and appears on some of their products.

Other than that, I’m a hard core hobbyist who used to work professionally before moving into my commercial production business.

Does that answer your question?

-Jake
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2899 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
It does, thank you!
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1888 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Quote:
On May 5, 2024, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
It does, thank you!

Absolutely, let me know if there’s any way I can help you Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4757 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Nice release that is definitely a worker. My only nit is the price. $44 including shipping and tax is too high IMO especially since you can do this with a regular deck and no gimmick. I think most seasoned workers will opt for the regular deck version. To each his own but this one seems better in the $15-20 range as a download to me.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
305 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Am I missing something here? I've performed the EXACT same effect for years using a regular deck and a top packet switch!
I can't pass judgement on how this one works as there doesn't appear to be any performances of this trick. I'll skip this one!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
If this uses what I think it does you could make this up yourself very easily and if it's not what I'm thinking of you could perform this effect the exact same way with it.... If You have The Richard Sanders Show dvd's or your a member of the netrix you'll know what I mean.... so for what it is I think it's over priced.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On May 6, 2024, markymarkmagicuk wrote:
Am I missing something here? I've performed the EXACT same effect for years using a regular deck and a top packet switch!
I can't pass judgement on how this one works as there doesn't appear to be any performances of this trick. I'll skip this one!

You're missing something, yes. It's not a top packet switch - once the packet is given to them, you don't need to touch it. So they can remember a card from their hands, mix it themselves and then experience the vanish from their pocket.

But you're not wrong, sleight of hand can achieve a similar effect (maybe not as clean, but similar). We teach a non-gimmicked version using a cop, which does work. However, I think it makes the appearance weaker (because now you're limited to where you can put it after copping it off) and the cleanliness of it feeling like it's all in their hands, is now weaker.

That's why the gimmick is sold. Because it now forces them a card in their own hands and makes it vanish from their own hands, which I feel increases the magic.

There is a performance on the product page if you scroll down.

- G
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On May 6, 2024, warren wrote:
If this uses what I think it does you could make this up yourself very easily and if it's not what I'm thinking of you could perform this effect the exact same way with it.... If You have The Richard Sanders Show dvd's or your a member of the netrix you'll know what I mean.... so for what it is I think it's over priced.

It doesn't use what you think it does. Although I like that gimmick you've hinted at and thoroughly recommend the Richard Sanders DVD's anyway.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3279 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2024, magicmind wrote:

There is no memorisation work involved in this routine.

Hope that helps.

- G

trying to speak in "code".....was referring to the effects where you have someone remember a card, in a fan or selected. Show it in a spread o a few cards and it vanishes...ghost card, princess card trick, etc. Your effect is a great use of these gimmicks.
Smile
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
305 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Thanks GeraintClarke for the reply. As they are holding the cards when they make a choice and never hand them over, now I'm impressed, sounds great. Shame no video demo of a performance, then I wouldn't need to ask so many questions!
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On May 6, 2024, markymarkmagicuk wrote:
Thanks GeraintClarke for the reply. As they are holding the cards when they make a choice and never hand them over, now I'm impressed, sounds great. Shame no video demo of a performance, then I wouldn't need to ask so many questions!

Quote:
On May 6, 2024, GeraintClarke wrote:
There is a performance on the product page if you scroll down.

Mike
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't use what you think it does. Although I like that gimmick you've hinted at and thoroughly recommend the Richard Sanders DVD's anyway.

That is interesting, although the same could be acheived using the gimmick I mentioned.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is interesting, although the same could be acheived using the gimmick I mentioned.

It couldn’t - mostly because of the thickness and open ends. A spectator may feel the difference in thickness or accidentally put their thumb in between the gimmick when fishing for cards in their pocket. It’s one of the first things we thought of in development of this - and those are the reasons we ditched that gimmick for the one we use now Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It couldn’t - mostly because of the thickness and open ends. A spectator may feel the difference in thickness or accidentally put their thumb in between the gimmick when fishing for cards in their pocket. It’s one of the first things we thought of in development of this - and those are the reasons we ditched that gimmick for the one we use now Smile

You can and I have given the spectator the whole deck which in theory could be put in their pocket make the magic happen and then have the spectator spread through the deck and see he card has vanished which kinda is the same.
I used to use that particular gimmick all the time and have the spectators spread through to try and find their card and never had any problems with it...That said I'm not taking anything away from Pocket Roulette as you say it's a different method so it does sound great.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
You can and I have given the spectator the whole deck which in theory could be put in their pocket make the magic happen and then have the spectator spread through the deck and see he card has vanished which kinda is the same.

Yep, we've used that too - and on the bonus section of this project, we discuss a full deck version. Seems like you're all set Warren. Magic is just about getting out there and doing it, so if you're happy with the way you do it now, that's all that matters Smile

- G
jb13
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of jb13
Are the gimmicks all the same value? It’s a concern for a social performer such as myself if the same people see me doing it more than once always with the same card.