The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Haunted Key (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
As an after effect effect (wow double redundancy) I like to just leave it on the table. People at least most of them are afraid to touch it anyway. I proceed to use my L**ps and animate it one final time. By then they would be scampering away.

Try it fellas!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
After I use mine, I slip it across the table for all to examine. As my index finger contacts it, I use my Funkin ring.. Smile that creates a lot of mayhem and a very Fun positive ending. As for the aging of it? Well, I say it is a solid Gold Key from the temples in Burmah (or wherever). I had it Chrome Plated to protect the gold. Smile

A few months back Peter Maruci , published a nice story line in the LR using the Haunted key and a locking Card box
Keet
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I was inspired by this thread: I walked into an antique shop and foun many boxes filled with old style keys. I found a great coppper colored metal key for $8 which is perfect for the effect. In retrospect, I might have bargained with the owner for a lesser price.

:wavey:

Michael
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
You guys are rockin today with the ideas. All great and put a big smile on my face for sure!!! I love the Funkenring gag!! I bet they jump on that one. LOL That's a good finish Rennie!!! I bet they do run. How about a picture of that key, Michael. Sounds like a good idea and a great key. Can't wait to take a look at it. Im putting the stuff together to do some limited casting in pewter to start. It would be fun to have a collection of the repro great haunted keys. Each one would have a story.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Thanks Tabman. I hope you give it a try . Hope to see the collection in your site. I have a few of my own.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2005-02-23 13:37, rannie wrote: Thanks Tabman. I hope you give it a try . Hope to see the collection in your site. I have a few of my own.

Thanks Rennie, I'm gearing up to try to cast a few of them. I'm going to try them in pewter and see if I can get some nice ones. This is my first time to cast metal though I have been casting in polymers for about ten years; cold casting.

I am looking forward to trying the hot metal casting. First off I have to make a two part mold. I've ordered up what I think is the right stuff for hard rubber molding. If that doesn't work I might try lost wax. I can't find anyone to do a small run of say 50 keys for me without charging a ton to set it up. This key is just begging to be cloned!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Philippe
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Philippe
To all those that perform the Haunted Key. Does nobody ever guess the method? I first saw this on T.V. performed by Ali Bongo in an interview, it was the only effect he did and it was excellent but I feel that the meathod close up is visible?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-03-01 07:18, Philippe wrote:
To all those that perform the Haunted Key. Does nobody ever guess the method? I first saw this on T.V. performed by Ali Bongo in an interview, it was the only effect he did and it was excellent but I feel that the meathod close up is visible?

If it is then you are doing it wrong.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Try using it tied to the end of a piece of string as a lie detector. Try a real psychic experiment. Lay out three cards on the table and have someone think of one of the cards. Tell them that the key will reveal the card. A few experiments along this line with a few people will show you a world of possibilities.

It's great to have such a simple prop at our disposal. Now, this discussion has gotten me curious as to the origins of the haunted key effect. This has to date way back but I don't know the story.

Anyone???

-=tabman

Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2002 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
You guys have gotten me interested in this effect with all the talk on this thread. I am aware of the mechanical versions of the haunted key, but with you guys talking about finding keys to use in this effect, I have to assume there is another M.O.

My first question would be, where can I find/purchase the workings of this effect? Does the book linked above have the M.O.? My first thought was that this was an I.T. effect, but I'm thinking that may be incorrect. Any help via P.M. would be most appreciated.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
316 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Barry Richardson has a marvelous version of the Haunted Key where the key moves in very strange and mysterious ways while in the performer's hand. He used to sell this in his lectures.

A.J.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
If you really think about it, you almost move the key with your mind. If you have ever read Osterlind's e-book "Making Magic Real", you will note that he recommends that you keep your hand still. Find the right "point" on your hand where you place the key. Now concentrate. The key will start to move. This is almost as close to real magic as you can get. Also, as Tabman stated, if you have a piece of string tied to it, you could also use it as a makeshift "pendulum" where the key will move in the hands of the spectator with their minds controlling it. I have done this before and it never fails to get a great reaction. Like Rannie, I too have had people afraid to touch the key, but it was depending on the story I use. I once used a ghastly story behind it and the girl I performed it for would not touch it. It just had too many "bad vibes" coming from it according to her. Let's bring back this timeless classic. And Tabman, I would love to buy one of those keys from you if you can get some cast. Later my magi!

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
You're right, Phil, as far as I'm concerned, it's very close to real magic. You just think it over. I'm working on making the two piece mold right now to cast a few keys. As soon as I get some that I'm happy with I will post it here, and thanks.

-=tabman

johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I have quite a nice routine for this key as well...in all honesty, I hate creating patter for my routines and tricks, but this one trick is so much fun to patter with, it's in my pocket at all times now!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
History of the effect?

The earliest reference that I remember seeing is in THE PHOENIX. I'm sure that somebody can find something in print that predates this publication.

The version printed in THE PHOENIX actually has the key balancing on the fingertips. I use this as a "closer" to my key routine w/ the key, after it turns in the spectator's hand.

Chris
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Anyone ever try using a "spirit lock" with this routine? You could have the lock snap open by itself after the key has turned in your hand. I am thinking about adding that to the routine. Too cheesey? What do you think?
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Matthew Episcopo
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Matthew Episcopo
You can look in Eugene Burger's book SPIRIT THEATER. It has some very good information on the Haunted Key. I have a very large very old key that I purchased in an antique shop. I have a great comedy story that goes with it. I get a very big reaction with it. A nice set is going from haunted glass to key to deck. It knocks them out.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 21:20, Phil Thomas wrote: Anyone ever try using a "spirit lock" with this routine? You could have the lock snap open by itself after the key has turned in your hand. I am thinking about adding that to the routine. Too cheesey? What do you think?

I think it sounds like a killer idea, Phil. Good thinking.

-=tabman

A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
316 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Maddog has some interesting ideas on routining the Haunted key with the Haunted deck and the Haunted glass. With the right presentation to tie it all together that might make one heck of an eye-opening set. Of course, the right presentation to tie it all together is the key (no pun intended).

A.J.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Hmmm. That sounds great!!! We should all get together and collaborate on a book on the haunted key Smile

I still wish I could find some early references to it in the magic literature.

-=tabman