The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Decided to 3D print a set of cups for cups and balls (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
Jessie,

Thank you for the detailed information, once again.

I am among that group that would need a lot more knowledge before forging ahead, especially before considering any serious purchase of equipment. My curiosity needs to be converted to actual thinking about how it can best be utilized.

Your posts have pointed me (and I'm sure others) in the right direction. While there are mass marketed tricks, most of us here are cottage industries with a very niche clientele. They appreciate high quality and are willing to spend money for it. We are happy to accommodate them. But, it is a narrow market.

At this point, I can think of 3 or 4 projects that would be worth pursuing, but given the quantities likely before saturating the market, the volume would hardly justify a significant investment. If I have a chance to someday see the results of one or two of these, then it might encourage me to think of ways to expand the possibilities. Until then, I fear it would be an expensive toy that I would wear out on useless, frivolous ideas before making it work for me. Ha!

If I can locate one of the groups that you mentioned, I may be lucky enough to find someone in the area who has the knowledge and equipment, but is craving ideas. It would also help if they have a proclivity for being a magic nerd! LOL!

In the meantime, I'll have to put more consideration into investing in tools that I will get major use from, and that I already know enough about to get that use.

~michael

Oh, I wasn't trying to sell you tools ^^

but if you have a pc or mac, 123D is free ( http://www.123dapp.com/design ) and then after you are happy with a design, you can get it printed using 3D hub or one of the other services that are around. I can say from first hand experience that before I received this printer, I couldn't think of uses for it. I used to make everything the old fashioned way, wood and if I needed metal, I would carve the item out of foam and then sand cast it with melted soda cans.

Now... it is just too convenient for rapid prototyping of ideas.

Anyway, we have gone way off topic of the original post now LOL... Still, I hope someone who has an idea but no idea how to go about making the object reads this and goes "hey, that might work!" and does one of the most magical things of all... turning an idea into a reality.

Cheers!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Jessie. I will play with the program and see if I can make use of it. You've really been a great help and I know you weren't trying to sell me any tools.

I am really fascinated with how deep the rabbit hole goes. It's like the study of magic itself. I've been doing this over 50 years, and the more I learn, the more I realize there is yet to learn.

Thanks!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Im of the same opinion as Michael. I cant see spending the money to buy the actual printer. Stuff like this never seems to work out in the long run for me. This will show my age....Bought a pin plotter several years ago so I could print full size plans in the office. Never could get the thing to work on a reliable basis. It set in the corner for 20 years until I payed to have it hauled off. experiences like this have made me anti tech, Heck I don't even have a cell phone. However with the ability to design in 3D on free software and have it printed by others there is no downside. It would take some time to learn to use the program but at least you don't have to spend any money to try. Might even be fun.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Well, I do have a 3D printer, albeit a cheap one. I got it for use with my school's robotics club, for fabricating gears etc. This thread has opened up a new dimension for me. Great stuff. Thanks Jessie!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, gimpy2 wrote:
Im of the same opinion as Michael. I cant see spending the money to buy the actual printer. Stuff like this never seems to work out in the long run for me. This will show my age....Bought a pin plotter several years ago so I could print full size plans in the office. Never could get the thing to work on a reliable basis. It set in the corner for 20 years until I payed to have it hauled off. experiences like this have made me anti tech, Heck I don't even have a cell phone. However with the ability to design in 3D on free software and have it printed by others there is no downside. It would take some time to learn to use the program but at least you don't have to spend any money to try. Might even be fun.

I won't say I'm anti-tech as much as tech-illiterate. My real hesitation is that I know that I need to have more justification before jumping in with any new equipment.

Reason #1: There can be a cash outlay, and I have to treat such investments as a business expense. I have enough hobbies.

Reason #2: My house is my workspace, and it is small. An electronic device would have to be inside my living quarters, and not in the workshop where it would be subject to brutal temperature fluctuation, sawdust, etc.

Reason #3: I have to have a clear plan. I know there are some projects where this would likely be a viable option. I already have a few in mind.

I don't want to waste a tree to make a toothpick. In other words, I want to know it would be a resource that I would get maximum use from. I don't want to exhaust those needs before the machine wears out. Workshops are already full of tool that have very limited applications.

Reason #4: There are other methods to accomplish what I am thinking a 3D printed might do for me. I simply need to weigh the pros and cons of all options.
----

My curiosity in this field is not diminished in the least. In fact it has been heightened because I now feel like I know more. Knowledge is power and all that, eh??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1188 Posts

Profile of Chris
Jessie, very cool to see somebody 3D printing magic tricks. One suggestion for your cups. Print them from brass/copper/bronze-fill material. Then they will be much heavier, and you will not need those rings in the middle anymore. Additionally you can polish this material to a pretty good sheen or tarnish it as one would tarnish bronze or copper.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, Chris wrote:
Jessie, very cool to see somebody 3D printing magic tricks. One suggestion for your cups. Print them from brass/copper/bronze-fill material. Then they will be much heavier, and you will not need those rings in the middle anymore. Additionally you can polish this material to a pretty good sheen or tarnish it as one would tarnish bronze or copper.

Yep, though I sort of like the rings, makes for easy grip and looks sort of neat. I was considering having them printed by a company that can print in metals.

In other news... someone sniped the Ammar cups and balls book out from under me on ebay >< Now to wait another 10 years for one to show up at a decent price. I know I can buy the ebook, but I prefer hardbound books when possible :/
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1188 Posts

Profile of Chris
Certainly you can leave the rings. Either way the cups would have a much nicer weight with one of these specialty filaments. I printed last week with them for the first time and the objects are surprisingly heavy. They don't feel like they are made from plastic.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Smile I could print them in the wood filament and then stain them ^^ the way they are now, you can stop the print at the top of the rings and put something like sand into the ring, then start the print again. The rings are hollow
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1188 Posts

Profile of Chris
The wood filaments do not stain well because the wooden particles are already saturated with plastic. Filling it with sand is an interesting idea. I have to check and see if I can stop my printer and continue from where it left off.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Yeah, the software I use with my printer (unfortunately it is proprietary to the printer) has a pause function, so I can stop a print, do something, then resume with no issues. I really like that feature and has saved me on several large prints when something goes a bit off. The printer is a cel robox.

With as much interest as this thread got for my first thread, maybe I should start a 3D printing Q&A thread XD
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Jessie, your post and photos on the acetone vapor bath were awesome. Those striations are one thing that's bothered me about the idea of getting a 3D printer, and now I know a way of making them disappear! Thank you, and welcome to the Café.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2016, George Ledo wrote:
Jessie, your post and photos on the acetone vapor bath were awesome. Those striations are one thing that's bothered me about the idea of getting a 3D printer, and now I know a way of making them disappear! Thank you, and welcome to the Café.

A slightly safer method of doing the vapor bath (remember ABS plastics only) is to use a glass jar or other container that is not reactive to acetone. Then you put some acetone on some cotton balls, and put them in the bottom of the container, place your part on a small wood block ( perhaps on some wax paper) or away from the cotton balls. Then close the lid and wait, best to use a clear container so you can keep an eye on it. It can take 3-8 hours, the sides of the container may fog up a bit as the acetone evaporates off the cotton balls.

I recommend again to do this outside to avoid fumes.

Then when you are happy with how smooth it is, remove the lid and be careful, the outer layer of the plastic object will be soft, and thin parts may bend over depending how long it was in the vapor.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1188 Posts

Profile of Chris
The problem with ABS is that it warps easily and releases fumes during printing which are not pleasant. I have printed a lot with ABS in the past, but have for the most part moved to newer materials. One of my favorite is XT-CF20 a co-polymer with carbon fibers added. It is the strongest and mechanically best material I have printed so far and it does not warp a bit. Nylon is also pretty good. I still have to try polycarbonate which I hear is also very good.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2016, Chris wrote:
The problem with ABS is that it warps easily and releases fumes during printing which are not pleasant. I have printed a lot with ABS in the past, but have for the most part moved to newer materials. One of my favorite is XT-CF20 a co-polymer with carbon fibers added. It is the strongest and mechanically best material I have printed so far and it does not warp a bit. Nylon is also pretty good. I still have to try polycarbonate which I hear is also very good.

Yep, same, but for the most part many of the newer materials require much harsher chemicals to smooth. This is why I suggested ABS for this purpose.

I print things easily with ABS but then my printer has a heated enclosed build chamber, this minimizes warping. Personally I use a lot of PLA or Nylon. Smile
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1188 Posts

Profile of Chris
What bed temperatures and enclosure temperatures do you use for ABS?

When I started 3D printing, now more than 10 years ago, I also thought that these ridges and layers are a mayor problem. But later I realized that in most cases they are not a problem. For one, the layer thicknesses have come down to a point where you can't see them anymore with the naked eye. The surface takes on a sort of matte finish. But even for layers above 0.1 mm (I typically print with 0.25 mm) the look of the objects is great. It also depends on the material. With the XT-CF20, because it is jet black, the layers are much less visible. The only time where I have found smoothing is necessary is if one wants to achieve clear transparency. For glass clear transparency one needs to use some kind of surface smoothing process.
Fazzio
View Profile
New user
Brazil
12 Posts

Profile of Fazzio
I love the cups. What about a Chop Cup?
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
I am currently working on a dedicated chop cup right now. It is on the printer Smile. I will make a new thread about that later.
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Could these cups be gaffed?
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, majik_1 wrote:
Could these cups be gaffed?

yes, but then so can any cup if done right.