The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building my first Modern Art Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I was with a professional magician having lunch with Dick Gustafson, he told me he gave the final remaining books to Greg Bordner owner of Abbott's Magic. He often appears at their 'Get-Together' convention in August.

I have just contacted Greg Bordner the owner of Abbott's Magic and he said the have them in stock and ready to ship, the books will be on the web site shortly.

The book is a great source for materials and building methods and should be on ever builder's bookshelf.

For those that are not familiar with the Famous Dick Gustafson, he is a full time professional magician that owns his own theater in Pennsylvania. He does trade shows as well. Dick and his wife have a fantasic Candle Act that they present at many magic conventions around the world. He builds his own illusions and has passed on what he has learned in his book.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Bill, is his candle act in his book? I have seen the act and it is superb.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Wmhegbli is absolutely correct about woods. Oak is far too expensive for something being painted over. I find pine a bit too soft (you'll dent it if you drop a screwdriver on it- I can practically scratch it with my fingernails) so when I want durability, I go for birch or poplar. Both of those also have much less visible grain, and will paint well.

For a zero-visible grain veneer, use MDF (medium-density fiberboard). It costs about the same as plywood. Keep in mind that it's really heavy, so you'll probably want to limit its use to veneers or panels- and mind the edges, they're soft. You may need an extra coat of primer on it before painting, too (if you sand the factory surface, it will soak up paint like crazy.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
James, No it is not, he uses what use to be standard magic props in his act. It is a very good act, regardless. James Rainho production candles, Lloyd Multiplying Candles, Harrison Silk Blow, Cut & Restored Silk and others. He produces a Candelabra as a finale to the his Silk Fountain. He has invented an Vanishing Candelabra as well.

The book is on making Box Illusions and the methods the methods and materials he has found helpful to construction of box illusions.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Bill.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I did order the book from Paul, not sure if it will make me change my bad ways, it is hard to teach a old dog a new tricks. Not sure if the top is Oak as I just got it out of my scrap wood pile, I do know it was a real real pain to cut so maybe it was hard wood. does anyone have info on the one man (magician) Modern Art, it apears at least one version uses a different table, 2 not one smaller gimmicks (more like the tickle box on the zig Zag) and a more Zig Zag concealment position of the person.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Personally, I don't care for the one-man version. Neither do I like the version where the top half slides by itself on a "magic gesture". To me, the primary effect is the magician sliding the assistant over the blade to supposedly cut her in half, so I think the other presentations remove a major part of the illusion.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 2009-11-18 13:30, jay leslie wrote

When you wheel that illusion on the stage is the little voice in the back of your head saying "This is the finest piece of equipment available" or is it saying "They will never know I made it myself.[/quote]
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I gave this a lot of though, I will go with option 2 , all long as it does not look home made and I get paid I am HAPPY.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 19:15, illusionman2 wrote:
Does anyone have info on the one man (magician) Modern Art, it apears at least one version uses a different table, 2 not one smaller gimmicks (more like the tickle box on the zig Zag) and a more Zig Zag concealment position of the person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is the version I am talking about
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......cd2d.jpg
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It is really taking shape and looks great. Thanks for the photos of your progress.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The only suggestion I would make is to use a more "open" material for the grille on the table.

Other than that - NICE JOB!
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2009-11-21 19:42, ClintonMagus wrote:
The only suggestion I would make is to use a more "open" material for the grille on the table.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks I will keep a eye out for some. Also many have said their is a mistake in the MA plans by steinmeyer, but I have not found it can someone give me a idea where to look.

Best
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Looks great, you should be proud of your achievement thus far. Now is the time you do not want to make any errors that screw the whole thing up.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 09:07, illusionman2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-21 19:42, ClintonMagus wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks I will keep a eye out for some. Also many have said their is a mistake in the MA plans by steinmeyer, but I have not found it can someone give me a idea where to look.

Best

Is there actually a mistake in the MA plan?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
There was in the original book. It might have been fixed in the new edition.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, ClintonMagus.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 18:08, ClintonMagus wrote:

What is the mistake? I just finished building from the original book and thought I didn't do things exactly the same, I didn't notice anything really strange in the plans.

Thanks,
Richard
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 00:46, rtgreen wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 18:08, ClintonMagus wrote:

What is the mistake? I just finished building from the original book and thought I didn't do things exactly the same, I didn't notice anything really strange in the plans.

Thanks,
Richard

It was minor. I think it was somewhere in the measurements for the width of the table. The individual measurements just didn't quite equal the total, if memory serves.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks. When I saw this post, I was thinking people were going to say something like the box was a couple of inches too narrow or something and I'd have to start over Smile

Thanks,
Richard