The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Mel Mellers' Undiscovered Wonder DVD (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Is the boquet produciton the opener the dvd pitches?

Anton
CinChiller
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
404 Posts

Profile of CinChiller
Meanwhile I recieved the dvd from steve spill and his mindreading goose is very similar with the mindreading duck.
But anyway, I like both and I´m still interested in that kind of animated stuffed puppet. So, if anybody knows where I can get it, please post it or send me an pm.
The Gaff Book Collection - the right tool for your booktest.
Music for mentalism and psychic entertainment.
Visit: http://stores.lulu.com/dankworth01
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I know the duck is available somewhere! Any ideas where would be great! Same duck as Steve Spill uses and Pasquale. Mellers is pretty much the same. But so much more potential you can do with the duck...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-02-25 19:37, Woodfield wrote:
Can somebody describe the duck puppet routine?
-Woodfield

Yes,

It was stolen from Steve Spill.

Here is a video of Steve performing it about 20 years ago on national TV.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=junV6itsSf4

It appears as if Mr. Meller's lifted it hook, line, and boon writer. He gave NO CREDIT to Mr. Spill. I was shocked and really saddened as I thought Mr. Meller's first two DVDs were great. Now I wonder how much of that material may have also been 'borrowed'. Seeing this just broke my heart.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Busted.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
I have to agree Danny. He could have at least used a different animal as the puppet!!

Tony Brent
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I do hope you're joking.
Steve33
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Steve33
I have just bought the Undiscovered Wonder dvd from my local dealer and the Duck routine isn't on it ?
Steve
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Steve:

They removed it after Russ heard about the issue.

Tony
Steve33
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Steve33
I just bought a copy of Undiscovered Wonder from my local dealer and found that the Goose or Mindreading Duck routine is not on it . I !@#ume that they have re releleased the DVD . Its a pity because the June issue of genii reveiws the old or original version including the duck. My local dealer has offered to give me full credit.
Steve
Steve33
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Steve33
In Mel Mellors version of Confabulation, Agony Aunt he credits Alan Shaxon and Ron Wilson's book Uncanny Scot [although he calls him Scot Wilson,]
I think from this excusable mistake and a few more on Tickling the Mind that Mel is not all that widely read in the Magic field but watches a lot of performances which probably also accounts for his refreshing presentations. His Agony Aunt presentation would appear to me to have at least some of its inspiration from a Confabulation routine Jeff Hobson did on an English TV show called "The Comic Strip" if I recall correctly . It was one of the funniest routines I've ever seen Hobson do, and I'm a big fan of Jeffs.
The Holiday destination and other details were determined as he sat on a Guy;s Knee,the tag to the letter from his mother was,I hope the rash has healed up"
Steve
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
247 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
I have never heard of Mel until now. Yes, you are right. I did a Confabulation routine on Magic Comedy Strip on Thames back in early 90's. It was a campy presentation (of course) with the letter from my "mother" with lots of flirting with a guy from the audience. The rash line was the closing joke of my routine. It would be interested to have someone tell me if what I'm hearing is correct and did indeed get most - or all - of the routine from TV. That would be very sad, mostly in that rsvpmagic and Mr. Mellers are making money off of selling other magician's routines. If so, the DVDs should come off of the market immediately.
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Jeff,

I think there's some confusion here regarding Mel's Agony Aunt routine, which sounds completely different to yours. I've put the routine up on YouTube, so you can watch it for yourself. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH688I-kHl4

Best,
Russ Stevens
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
I remember watching Jeff Hobsons excellent routine back in the early 1990's and have to say the two themes are different in my opinion. Jeff's routine was about his ideal man / date, hair colour etc.

Mels routine is about picking up a rash abroad, they clearly are not the same, I do a confabulation based on passed life regression (Thanks TA Waters) it is like comparing my routine with a dream car.

The only thing that Mel and Jeff have in common is their camp approaches which I love. Jeff is camp, hilarious and one of the funniest guys I have ever seen and it was a pleasure meeting him in Vegas last year..
Jeff is camp on steroids where as Mel is camp in a slightly British middle class way. Which I know he based on a famous character from a television show called 'Are You Being Served' from the 1970's called Mr Humphries. UK people over 30 will know who I mean.

Just my opinion..

Marc Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 14:55, Marc Spelmann wrote:
I remember watching Jeff Hobsons excellent routine back in the early 1990's and have to say the two themes are different in my opinion. Jeff's routine was about his ideal man / date, hair colour etc.

Mels routine is about picking up a rash abroad, they clearly are not the same, I do a confabulation based on passed life regression (Thanks TA Waters) it is like comparing my routine with a dream car.

The only thing that Mel and Jeff have in common is their camp approaches which I love. Jeff is camp, hilarious and one of the funniest guys I have ever seen and it was a pleasure meeting him in Vegas last year..
Jeff is camp on steroids where as Mel is camp in a slightly British middle class way. Which I know he based on a famous character from a television show called 'Are You Being Served' from the 1970's called Mr Humphries. UK people over 30 will know who I mean.

Just my opinion..

Marc Spelmann

I'm not over 30, but know who you mean Marc, and I agree with you. Everyone can get inspired from somewhere. Has anyone emailed Mel about any of their issues? I don't think it is fair to say some of the things here without at least asking Mel for his side...just my thoughts
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Marc
Some of us on this side of the pond know who you mean as well. My first though after seeing Mel was, "My God, Mr. Humphries has learned magic."

On a related note, John Inman was a regular visitor to us here in Boston and supported our public televison by appearing on the pledge drives for PBS channel 2. He will be missed.

Tony Iacoviello
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Hi Tony,

I'm glad you guys got to experience John Inman, he was certainly one of a kind and you're right he will be missed as he was an iconic comedy figure who broke the mold with 'camp' comedy at a time when it was not so easily accepted.

Mel is very much like Mr Humphries, where as Jeff is the absolute ultimate in camp and as a result one of my favorite performers as you never know what to expect. When I was in Vegas Jeff spoke about his development of his character and lets just say he should thank his wife everyday for the sparkly thing that she got him..

Good thoughts as always

Marc Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Jeff,
After your initial post regarding us taking Mel’s DVD off the market, I was wondering if you had looked at the Agony Aunt clip that was placed up on YouTube?

I guess that what you heard was incorrect as we haven’t had a response from you, but it would have been fair to point that out after your initial post. Professionally I also think it would have been better to contact me privately and express your concerns, rather than post on a pubic forum before you knew the facts.

Best,
Russ
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Anyone got mel mellers tickling the mind vol-1/2, I will trade dvds, thanks. I live in uk. sorry if this is in the wrong forum. pm me.
Jarod
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
226 Posts

Profile of Jarod
Where can I get the "Tickling the Mind" DVD's? I checked at Alakazam but didn't find it :-(
It's not the Trick. It's the Magician!

Harry Houdini