The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Hemispheres by Jay Sankey (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1482 Posts

Profile of jstone
Yeah. I had a hard time find a doll's eye too, so I actually use an old photograph of my father "who showed me my very first card trick with this very deck of cards"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You can find the doll eyes at big hobby stores. The one I use to get them from was in San Jose, D and H Hobby I think it was.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Although I haven't watched all the explanations yet, I did watch all of the performances and I have to say that there is some really, really strong stuff on here. And, I have to admit, a couple of the routines fooled me.

Although some of the moves are standard Sankey moves and a few of the routines have appeared other places, there is plenty of fresh, really good material on this dvd.

For those that have not purchased a Sankey dvd in while, you might want to consider picking this one up.

Off to watch the explanations...
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Oddly enough, the one that fooled me the most was the one with a principle used in one of the very first tricks I new. Presentation is everything. The effect by the way is Third Eye. I honestly did not know how he knew the cards.

DOnny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

That actually fooled me at first too! I had to think about it for a few moments before I slapped my forehead and said, "Doh!"
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Terrible review, you just cost me money! Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2007-12-18 10:16, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Photo Finish was worth the price of the DVD. I'm going to take my own photo and keep it in my wallet.

I won't do it like Jay and will come up with my own handling ( you can do a sort of HEIRLOOM type effect with it ).

Never ordered from Sankey before directly, do you have to be a member? I do not see the special, but maybe is it not posted eastern time?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1482 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-01-11 01:04, sirbrad wrote:

Never ordered from Sankey before directly, do you have to be a member? I do not see the special, but maybe is it not posted eastern time?

You don't have to be a member, but if you are you get a 15% discount. Plus you get a free DVD with your first order. Membership is $20.00 per year.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Nice. How do I access this 24 hour discount thing?
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1482 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-01-11 04:29, sirbrad wrote:
Nice. How do I access this 24 hour discount thing?

That 24 hour discount was a month ago.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-12-18 10:16, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Photo Finish was worth the price of the DVD. I'm going to take my own photo and keep it in my wallet.

I won't do it like Jay and will come up with my own handling ( you can do a sort of HEIRLOOM type effect with it ).

This effect is essentially a slightly different application of Jay's Nailed!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Actually, I think it's very different than "Nailed!"

I love "Photo Finish" as it's such a great application of... Well, I don't want to give the trick away. But it's very strong.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1482 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 20:13, evolve629 wrote:
This effect is essentially a slightly different application of Jay's Nailed!

Um.... no it isn't.... It's nothing like nailed at all actually. The two tricks couldn't be further from each other.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Jeff,

I think you "Nailed" that one.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 23:00, Donny Orbit wrote:
I went into the Goodwill and bought a doll for a 1.50 and smashed its head in and took the eye.

And with that, the gateway to Hell was sealed and the dark one was cast back to the fiery depths from wence he came!

Nice Donny - nice!

Dave.
thefliss
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of thefliss
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 16:57, jstone wrote:
Seriously... no exaggeration, this could be THE best Sankey DVD ever. I absolutely love it.

Quote:
On 2007-12-30 22:18, jstone wrote:
Yeah, I'm in the credits on this one, but I gave an honest review.

A little disclosure before posting your review would probably have given it a little more weight. The conflict of interest is something that should have been mentioned earlier. I did enjoy reading your review, though.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 21:48, Cameron Francis wrote:
Actually, I think it's very different than "Nailed!"

I love "Photo Finish" as it's such a great application of... Well, I don't want to give the trick away. But it's very strong.

I own both Nailed and Hemispheres DVDs and both share correlative in conceptualization and even the patter that Jay talked about on Photo Finish are similar in "Nailed." Certainly the method is different, I agree.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I highly disagree with the statement about a conflict of interest. Jeff is a worker. He knows commercial magic when he sees it. If you knew Jeff personally (which over the past couple of weeks I have talked to him fairly extensively) you would see that he is all about integrity. He's not going to come on here and pimp a product he doesn't stand beside.

Who cares if Jeff has any "weight" as you put it with Jay. If he had input on the dvd and stands by its quality, then his review is accurate. It would be different if Jay was on here talking about his latest dvd being the best, but to have someone who has one or two presentational ideas mentioned in the crediting, it is totally different.

Based on Jeff's review I picked up Hemispheres and found that his review is spot on.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Photo Finish could have been marketted seperately. If you like Heirloom
and want to make it stronger without having all those cards in your wallet, check out photo finish and combine the two ideas.

It comes with a photo card, but I made my own.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1482 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 11:30, thefliss wrote:
A little disclosure before posting your review would probably have given it a little more weight. The conflict of interest is something that should have been mentioned earlier. I did enjoy reading your review, though.

I'm not sure I follow. Just because he said thank you in the credits, doesn't mean my review is wrong. There is no conflict of interest. I don't get any money or anything from the sales of the DVD.

Had I started the review by saying, "here's a review of a DVD that Jay mentions my name on" Then followed that statement with the review, I believe that the review would not have been perceived as accurate but rather as a bias.

Maybe that would have been a good thing because then less people would have bought the DVD, thus allowing less people to be doing these effects... Less competition for me.

Whether I was credited for helping with an effect or not, the review is honest. Those who own the DVD will vouch for that.