The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22..30~31~32 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
DFB is absolutely fine without having to resort to using yet another electronic device. And anyhow, why would you want to restrict the choice down to 50 percent? Utter madness imo.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
I was going to order but have requested refund now, unfortunately I can’t take a chance on a product where over time the batteries of the dice will weaken, its a lot of cash to splash out on and no clue as to the durability
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, can't remember what part of consumer law it is in the UK, but there is, in general terms, a fair use policy above and beyond any warranty. Where the price and object has an expectation. I think with laptops, it's around six years.
So via consumer law all goods have an innate lifespan and you'd be able to get a refund if something does in a couple of years.

1 gig will pay for these. And I think the video mentions the original die is still going from a few years back, five years I think?

But, if you're nervy and don't think it's worth a punt, then that's that.
I've asked to be banned
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
Yep just my opinion on it
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
As mentioned earlier, I got a letter through to pay duty...was just a little over £15. So I think I've saved around twenty quid from memory...
I've asked to be banned
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2930 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
So maskless magician, is your cup always half empty? Never mind, all too easy to tell from your posts.
Mark

Well Marky Mark, I was making a friendly joke... because c'mon, you ARE fanboying these dice. However, since you decided to answer with such hostility, please allow me to share some of my thoughts on this with you:

You more or less hijacked this thread after you received your package, posting every tiny particle of a hint of a thought you have on this. And what's worse: brushing off people that had valid, critical questions. And when you posted your "very strong" routine many people here cringed, as you described what is absolutely the most horrible way to use this great item. It was the most one-dimensional routine one can do, without any layering in the method at all and a horrible presentation to match:

"After appropriate looks of concentration on my face I announce that the White die is under cup #1. I continue to cup #2 and name the Blue die there. Then announce that leaves the Red die under cup #3."

This is exactly the kind of presentation that confirms the image of mentalism as being boring and of mentalists being boring smart***es. If you honestly think this procedure and your "look of concentration" is entertaining to an audience PLEASE, PLEASE go and find a theatre institute and ask a director for help... Jan Forster was kind enough to point out some of the aspects where you got it wrong. He said he hesitated to share his opinion. As did I. I think he worded it very well, I felt thankful he intervened in what essentially was boasting & bragging on your part. Gaz and videoman also had some great suggestions on layering and how to at least create some diversity in both the set-up and the reveal. But your reactions clearly showed you didn't get the issue. On the contrary: you just kept on boasting and bragging about yourself & your great dice.

You apparently assume people like your presentation. They don't. Really, they don't. They put up with it, because of the strength of the effect itself. It's a great pitfall of mentalism and magic, that is unique to this art. Please... start thinking about who you perform for. Google "audience-centric performing", read the articles and let that open your eyes.

You also apparently assume a lot about me, based on "my posts". I invite you to either read some more posts or listen to the Mystery Arts podcast no 12. If you still think I am a half-empty-cup-guy after that... well, I can't win 'em all... .

Please say hello to the Funky Bunch. Good vibrations into the New Year Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well said...
I've asked to be banned
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4219 Posts

Profile of JanForster
... thank you from my part as well ... exactly the feelings and thoughts I had ... talking to walls. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2019, pegasus wrote:
DFB is absolutely fine without having to resort to using yet another electronic device. And anyhow, why would you want to restrict the choice down to 50 percent? Utter madness imo.

Yes!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1556 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:

Good vibrations into the New Year Smile

Thank you! Some of those vibrations will come from the forthcoming Anverdi Thumper, I'm sure! Smile

My apologies for my smarta** comment yesterday, I guess I was having a bad day.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2930 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thank you. Apologies accepted. And please reconsider the advise of the people I mentioned. It holds great value.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2512 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Thanks, Unmasked, excellent post, it needed to be said. And Magic Marker, you've made it nauseating clear you want the thumper. We get it. No need to beat a dead horse.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1719 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, Daren wrote:

For this price you should not expect much.

Hilarious. Smile Smile

Murphys is not Promystic...

I highly doubt Murphys will exchange empty or faulty ones after more than 2+ years (like Marc Antoine does!).
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've asked to be banned
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2019, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, Daren wrote:

For this price you should not expect much.

Hilarious. Smile Smile

Murphys is not Promystic...

I highly doubt Murphys will exchange empty or faulty ones after more than 2+ years (like Marc Antoine does!).

Not for nothing, both Murphy's and Penguin has been my favorite customer service experiences for exchanges. I think this has more to do with scale of operations than anything else. It's like exchanging things at Best Buy, it's the most resistance free exchanges there bar none.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2032 Posts

Profile of Platt
Message from other thread. I didn't even realize there were two. Very confused:

I've read about half of this thread and still can't make out with certainty the lineage of this effect. It appears that:

1. A guy named Tony Averdi created the first version of this in the 70s.
2. Murphy's bought the rights (in the 90s? Is Tony still with us?)
3. My old friend Craig Filicetti put out an enclosed/examinable single die version in the 2000s
3. A guy named Marc-Antoine put out a 3 dice version in 2017 which is now discontinued (at least at Penguin)
4. Murphy's re-released Marc-Antoine's version as "Mental Dice by Tony Averdi" a few months ago with the bonus of it being rechargeable (is Marc-Antoine connected to this?)
5. Saturn Magic just now re-released Marc-Antoine's version with the option of one die and thumper.

Do I have this right? Thanks.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Sounds about right , I had a wooden larger one I bought from Mark Mason ( JB magic ) a good 2 years before I bought Craig’s version Gaz 🙂
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2019, Platt wrote:

I've read about half of this thread and still can't make out with certainty the lineage of this effect. It appears that:

3. My old friend Craig Filicetti put out an enclosed/examinable single die version in the 2000s
3. A guy named Marc-Antoine put out a 3 dice version in 2017 which is now discontinued (at least at Penguin)
4. Murphy's re-released Marc-Antoine's version as "Mental Dice by Tony Averdi" a few months ago with the bonus of it being rechargeable (is Marc-Antoine connected to this?)
5. Saturn Magic just now re-released Marc-Antoine's version with the option of one die and thumper.

If you reread just three pages on this thread, starting from Pages 5 (last post on page 5) to 7, all should be reasonably clear.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1556 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:

Murphy's bought the rights to Anverdi's creations in September 2010, not 1990s.

Marc Antoine is NOT connected to Murhpy's Anverdi Mental Dice release. HIs version is NOT discontinued, he still sells it on his own website and, reportedly, has other irmprovements coming. (Whether or not the Murphy's release took the wind out of his sails remains to be seen.)

Marc Antoine made some improvements to his Mental Dice a little bit BEFORE Murphy's released their version. That is the version that Saturn is now selling (but the same version is also available on Marc Antoine's site).

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2032 Posts

Profile of Platt
Thanks. Strange saga.

Quote:
On Dec 30, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:

Murphy's bought the rights to Anverdi's creations in September 2010, not 1990s.

Marc Antoine is NOT connected to Murhpy's Anverdi Mental Dice release. HIs version is NOT discontinued, he still sells it on his own website and, reportedly, has other irmprovements coming. (Whether or not the Murphy's release took the wind out of his sails remains to be seen.)

Marc Antoine made some improvements to his Mental Dice a little bit BEFORE Murphy's released their version. That is the version that Saturn is now selling (but the same version is also available on Marc Antoine's site).

Mark
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com