The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
jugagien
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jugagien
Looking for strangers in the US. Any takers? I'll more than happy to be yours

Thanks
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2020, Psy wrote:
Im still waiting for the feature that allows you to create your own recordings :/

You can't use your own for the reveal but you can do so for the convincers. It makes sense why this is if you think about it. There's no way to foolproof it if users were allowed to do their own reveals for the recorded mode and that would leave a bad taste for users as well as look bad from an audience's POV.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1541 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
New update to The Stranger app today (iOS only, so far, Android is coming soon). Now featuring integration with Cubesmith. That integration module is included for free (you must own or buy Cubesmith app, of course). Two additional new modules (in-app purchases). Both very nice but a bit pricey.

Basic sample routine capable with Cubesmith integration.... Spectator mixes up Rubik's Cube and sets it down. SPECTATOR picks up magician's phone, unlocks it, runs the phone app, and dials a random telephone number. Stranger answers and stranger is asked if he happens to have a Rubik's cube in the house. Call is switched to FaceTime while stranger is looking for his Rubik's Cube. Stranger finds the cube in a box of toys. Upon removing the cube from the box the magician notices something and asks the stranger to hold one side of the cube up to the camera. Magician picks up the cube that was mixed by the spectator and its corresponding side is an exact match. Then all 5 other sides are compared and they ALL match, 100%.

The magician never touches the phone!

Pretty darn clever!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
jugagien
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jugagien
I love the trick but to be honest, I think the update with the features aren't affordable. Maybe if you're a working magician, maybe? But for those who does magic for a hobby, it's pretty darn expensive.
It's just my opinion, please don't hate.

$200 for a lis***ing mode, and $320 with a discount (for a limited time) is pretty expensive. I'm not a programmer so I am ignorant to what it takes to make it but still. An added lis***ing mode feature is more expensive than the actual app itself ($150). For those who can afford, god bless you. For those who do tricks for family and friends for fun, I'll wait for a possible sale in the future on these features.

Still, I love Jon and his great customer support.
jugagien
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jugagien
Is there an Android version? Can't find one.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2207 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
I have the app but not paying for the extras. I think they are priced so high to keep out of the hands hobbyists?
It is a great app and simple to use but I have no need for add ons.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
Yeah I don't understand the addons I have diverter and have developed ways to give it way more features. If he did a sale on the stranger I would buy it but to me it isn't worth $150, and voila did the phone trick before this
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
I have the app but not paying for the extras. I think they are priced so high to keep out of the hands hobbyists?
It is a great app and simple to use but I have no need for add ons.

I think it's a combination of the constant work Jonathan puts into the app along with the modules actually giving you new and significant tools. I think the pricing for the new modules however is a bit too high imho. I think the price on them should be maybe $50 a piece but then again, Jonathan must price them the way he does because people still buy the modules so likely the pricing is still acceptable for folks on the module. I may get the numbers module down the line but so far, for my personal use, I've only purchased the mem deck component which I do enjoy using.
Patmagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Patmagic
Hello Strangers francophone who own THE STRANGER application! 🇫🇷
We have finally a WhatsApp group in French! I’ve been part of the US group from day one and I can confirm it’s a very cool place full of great guys! Everyone in this group is engaged and willing to help each other have successful performances. So good that I’ve agreed to take the lead to facilitate the WhatsApp group for France. I talked to Jonathan Levit and he’s very excited about it. If you’re interested in being part of that group, please send a DM. You can find me in the Stranger private FB group.
Looking forward to see you there! 😀

Patrick JOUAN
MagieLucas
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
93 Posts

Profile of MagieLucas
I still don't see the differents between this and the diverter app that I have from mark kerstein. Except diverter is much cheaper.
Why are there 2 of the same product?
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2020, MagieLucas wrote:
I still don't see the differents between this and the diverter app that I have from mark kerstein. Except diverter is much cheaper.
Why are there 2 of the same product?

I agree that they are pretty close and even use the same method to look like you’re calling a random number and that they definitely should’ve gotten Marc’s permission to do it but there are a few differences. There are recordings that you can use if you don’t have an assistant to call, there are integrations with WikiTest or CubeSmith, And if you want to spend the extra money which is a lot there are some extra add-ons. So I think that the app does a lot but the idea and the method Aren’t original.
tleong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
22 Posts

Profile of tleong
Hi, I am from Malaysia and I am very impressed with that this app can actually do miracle. Let me share what I think about this app, if you are a iphone user and from countries which have their own local recorded conversation then it worth to pay for it. As for Android user myself, I wont be able to intergrade with WikiTest or iThump since those app only works on IOS. And if you from countries without local recorded conversation, then you will not be able to use it as well. It doesn't make any sense if I pretending to talk to someone from US when I'm in Malaysia, Meaning for me, I only have one option, I can only perform for live stranger. Therefore I wont be able to utilise the full ability of the app but still require to pay the same price.
Conclusion : If you are a iphone user and you are from the countries which have the local recorder conversation - it is a perfect mentalism app and worth to buy. But if you are a Android user and you are from countries which doesn't have local recorded conversation to download, then not worth the buy.
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2020, tleong wrote:
If you are a iphone user and you are from the countries which have the local recorder conversation - it is a perfect mentalism app and worth to buy. But if you are a Android user and you are from countries which doesn't have local recorded conversation to download, then not worth the buy.

Wikitest and iThump are not primary features of The Stranger -- they're more like bonuses. Lots of people were happily paying for The Stranger before these integrations were created. As an Android user, I wish I could use them, but The Stranger has so many other features to make the app worth it.

As for language, Jonathan Levit (the creator) is happy to talk with anyone about adding languages and has done so many times. But in the meantime, there's a worldwide network of live Strangers available to help with your performances if you don't want to pretend to call a country with a recorded message.
tleong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
22 Posts

Profile of tleong
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2020, novasteeple wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2020, tleong wrote:
If you are a iphone user and you are from the countries which have the local recorder conversation - it is a perfect mentalism app and worth to buy. But if you are a Android user and you are from countries which doesn't have local recorded conversation to download, then not worth the buy.

Wikitest and iThump are not primary features of The Stranger -- they're more like bonuses. Lots of people were happily paying for The Stranger before these integrations were created. As an Android user, I wish I could use them, but The Stranger has so many other features to make the app worth it.

As for language, Jonathan Levit (the creator) is happy to talk with anyone about adding languages and has done so many times. But in the meantime, there's a worldwide network of live Strangers available to help with your performances if you don't want to pretend to call a country with a recorded message.

Thanks for your sharing. Maybe just that my country wasn't or haven't been integrated with our local English recorded conversation, therefore I tend to compare. Well, I can't complain much too as I don't think the market here is big enough for Jonathan to invest into the recording. Just consider unlucky for magicians in Malaysia, So for me, if I decided to purchase, I can only use the live stranger feature.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2207 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Still haven't had the chance to use this yet Smile
Most expensive magic trick I haven't used.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
362 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
For me, Diverter by Mark Kerstein is an excellent option. Much cheaper and offers the exact same effect, your audience can’t tell the difference. I’ve been loving it in the zooms.
tleong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
22 Posts

Profile of tleong
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2020, simon hughes wrote:
For me, Diverter by Mark Kerstein is an excellent option. Much cheaper and offers the exact same effect, your audience can’t tell the difference. I’ve been loving it in the zooms.

I knew about this and how much I wanted this....but unfortunately it only for IOS. How sad :-(
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
Still haven't had the chance to use this yet Smile
Most expensive magic trick I haven't used.

Same here. At least I got a 'deal' on it...
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Same here too. What a bummer of a year it's been. The bright side, I suppose, is that since none of us are performing it, it's still totally unknown to our spectators!

Since this topic has been resurrected, I figure I'll bring up another point that's been concerning me lately. I recently permanently deleted my Facebook account, and I don't ever wish to sign up for Facebook again. Maybe Johnathan could ensure there's a way for principled "No Facebook" users to still stay updated on the latest info for the app?
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2207 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2020, AutarchicFlux wrote:
Same here too. What a bummer of a year it's been. The bright side, I suppose, is that since none of us are performing it, it's still totally unknown to our spectators!

Since this topic has been resurrected, I figure I'll bring up another point that's been concerning me lately. I recently permanently deleted my Facebook account, and I don't ever wish to sign up for Facebook again. Maybe Johnathan could ensure there's a way for principled "No Facebook" users to still stay updated on the latest info for the app?

I’m sure all the videos are posted on the website as well?