The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Best packet trick of all time (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..24~25~26 [Next]
BitterBrewerAZ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ
65 Posts

Profile of BitterBrewerAZ
While I probably havn't seen a large fraction of the packet tricks that you guys have, I do own a few and my absolute favorite is NFW by Gary Freed. This was also the first packet trick to teach me the Elmsley count so not only was I getting great reactions, I was learning an important slight. I just purchased John Bannon's newer book and look forward to the packet tricks contained in it. Any recommendations?
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
I know it was mentioned a while ago on this long thread. But I have to say the amazing Tommy Wonder version to wild card (tamed card) not only is a great packet trick I have been using for years, it also adds a lot of psychology and "out of the frame" thinking that I think a lot more magicians should be working. Not just perfecting a trick but making a whole experience for not only your direct spectators but others who could be watching that you are unaware of.

Also to the response of the canned crowd on the DVD of Tommy wonder...yes it is a lot of the same people in the LL dvds. But having watched a LOT of these dvds, you can still tell which routines really fry this canned crowd. Tamed card is one of them
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
tobajer
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of tobajer
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2013, sohaib wrote:
This thread has come so far!

still Dazzle by Alex Elmsley for me!

I'm working on a version where the cards can be examined

Where can you get Dazzle from - online with international postage ?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2369 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2014, BitterBrewerAZ wrote:
I just purchased John Bannon's newer book and look forward to the packet tricks contained in it. Any recommendations?

Which "newer" Bannon book? High Caliber? Two of my current Bannon favorites that are in there are Royal Scam and B'rainiac.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2014, BitterBrewerAZ wrote:
I just purchased John Bannon's newer book and look forward to the packet tricks contained in it. Any recommendations?

Which "newer" Bannon book? High Caliber? Two of my current Bannon favorites that are in there are Royal Scam and B'rainiac.

And add Short Attention Spin and Spin Doctor to the list.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Twisting the Aces and Twisted Sisters are my two candidates. Great audience response to both.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I've been doing Twisting The Aces quite exclusively a bit lately and it's been playing rather well for me, all the card trick I need. Why?

Well, it's just the perfect little gaffless effect. Easy to do, and lends itself greatly to your own good presentation of the little trick, plus some nice-enough moves to it. People are always progressively amazed by it with every turn of the cards. Wonder how The Professor came up with such a trick. Must've taken a lot of figurin' back then, but he sure figured it out to become a classic, still to this day. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
I get the best reactions with Panic by Aaron Fisher and Double Back by Jon Alan.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
705 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Panic is an awesome effect, but it is not considered a packet effect.
DigaMag
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
308 Posts

Profile of DigaMag
Simplex monte by alakazam is absolutely a winner for me....
AlexanderS
View Profile
New user
Austria
16 Posts

Profile of AlexanderS
If the pack of cards is gaffed I would go for:
- Strange Travelers
- Druck Zuck by Card Shark (basically a wild card routine where you print cards in the funniest way possible - I am really in love with this one Smile )
or - Do As I Do

If the there are only a few cards and they are ungaffed, I would take four cards and go for a coin matrix! Smile

Your's,
Alexander
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, DigaMag wrote:
Simplex monte by alakazam is absolutely a winner for me....

This is truly a powerful effect, especially when done with the 4 Card presentation in the video. I've seen it done that way live and it is just impossible looking and really clean. The other presentations of it are more eye-candy-ish, but a bit too magical as to drawing unnecessary attention. Wish it was cheaper. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
john oleson
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of john oleson
Is there a list of all these effects like in other discussions? Couldn't find.

Thx .. john oleson from tropical Michigan
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
John Bannons is the don when it come to packet tricks. They are all dynamite but my favourite is probably Royal Scam, which is my most used one.

A great packet trick I recently got which has joined it in my set is The Full Monty by Liam Montier. This is certainly in my top two along with Royal Scam, it's that good!!

http://www.tricktastic.com/product-p/trick015.htm
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
705 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I mentioned this before in one of these threads, but has anyone ever heard of "Four Times A Charm" from Martini's Magic? I have only seen it sold on his website, not sure if it is made by him....I am at work right now and do not have it in front of me but I believe it says it's from "ZAP Magic". Anyway, it is probably one of my favorites, and I have well over 100 packet effects, maybe more. It involves an envelope with a hole in it, some of the cards are gaffed, and it is self-working.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
I don't own much packet tricks. For gaff and un-gaff packet tricks, I would say my favorite ungaff trick is Jumping Geminis and my favorite gaff trick is Poker Test. The reaction from these packet tricks are unbelievable.
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
Oil and water ungaffed.
color diffusion for a quick laugh
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Is anyone familiar with Paul Diamonds "Caged Lion?"

The basic effect is a selected animal card (a lion) disappears and reappears inside a previously shown empty cage card. (Similar to Tenyo 's Wild Wallet).
I found this trick on the big auction site and was wondering if anyone knew when this trick was first releast.

Thanks,
Kirk
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
I will always have a soft spot for two packet effects published in 1979 by Phil Goldstein...Snow and Cycle. I was just getting serious about learning back then and these two $4 packet tricks (purchased at a local magic shop) opened doors in my mind. They introduced me to counts (EC and JC) and spreads (AS). I quickly figured out that mastering these three techniques allowed me to amaze my friends and family with cards taken from any deck of cards in almost any sitting. After that I turned to books over packets, but I did buy a few more over the years...I recall Jokers Wild and Color Monte, the latter purchased in person from Jim Temple himself...he was at the before mentioned magic shop giving a lecture. It was a privilege to meet him...but that's another story for another time I suppose. Anyways...I was so fond of Color Monte that I did repurchase it when the Bicycle version came out.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
Doug Conn's Plastic Surgery, without a doubt. It's the coolest thing I've ever had the pleasure of seeing and performing. I thought I knew how magic worked (I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now), and he destroyed me with this.

If I were stuck in the middle of nowhere with a choice of only one card trick, this would have to be be it.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine