The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Best packet trick of all time (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..24~25~26 [Next]
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1276 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-07-12 17:05, Paul wrote:
Isn't Jesters Peter Kane's? Where they change color?

I learned it off of Aldo Colombini's "True Magic". It;s the second effect on the DVD I dvd I believe. Extremely visual color changes. Love it.
[/quote]

Yes, it's Peter's. Sometimes called The Court Jesters or Blushing Jokers. One place it can be found is his book "Kane". J. K. Hartman also has a variation which is either in Card Craft or Trickery Treats. Before the book publication I think it appeared in The Last Heirophant with some further thoughts by Jon Racherbaumer. the exact references are probably in that book "Small But Deadly". :0
[/quote]

Wow! Great references. I'll definitely delve in to those. Aldo Colombini says it's one of the few effects with cards that he performs with music. No need for patter due to the exquisite visual element. I combine other effects utilizing jokers such as "prior commitment" (Aronson), "ACE" (Sanders new one), "Full Lotus" (Sankey's "Front Row Sankey" - think paperclipped on steroids using jokers) and currently working on including Colombini's "Jokers Dilemma". "Jesters" is one of my favorite openers at any event.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Error in my last post, I referred to The Last Heirophant when I actually meant "Kabbala" Vol. 3
J.K.'s variant IS in "Card Craft" it's called "Second Blush" on p.610.
The original appeared on p. 145 of "Kane".

It is a great packet trick, I used to use it.

Paul.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1276 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 13:36, Paul wrote:
Error in my last post, I referred to The Last Heirophant when I actually meant "Kabbala" Vol. 3
J.K.'s variant IS in "Card Craft" it's called "Second Blush" on p.610.
The original appeared on p. 145 of "Kane".

It is a great packet trick, I used to use it.

Paul.

For some reason I just cant get enough of it. I start with a bit of history about the joker such as how they used to be called "Juker", which comes from the German term "Euchre" back in the 1860's. I go on about how they, for the most part are the most neglected card in the deck (not very popular in card games, etc). This provides the Jesters time to practice their magic. Showing all 4 red jokers (both faces), I ask them to say a magic word to turn each card blue one at a time. I adore turning all of them back to the original colors all at once at the end. Visual, majestic material there. It's got one of those handling's that is so fun that it becomes addictive. Also, what a stunning, visual,jaw dropping opener.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1276 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Today I was at a coffee shop and decided to break out my cards. I did Jesters, then ÀCE (Sanders) continuing a storyline and for the finale I busted out my ID, put a joker on top of the case and told them that the joker would perform this trick and turn your favorite card over in the deck without anybody even near it. Anybody ever had a standing ovation in a Second Cup coffee shop? Simple effects and HUGE impact.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
[/quote]

For some reason I just cant get enough of it. I start with a bit of history about the joker such as how they used to be called "Juker", which comes from the German term "Euchre" back in the 1860's. I go on about how they, for the most part are the most neglected card in the deck (not very popular in card games, etc). This provides the Jesters time to practice their magic. Showing all 4 red jokers (both faces), I ask them to say a magic word to turn each card blue one at a time. I adore turning all of them back to the original colors all at once at the end. Visual, majestic material there. It's got one of those handling's that is so fun that it becomes addictive. Also, what a stunning, visual,jaw dropping opener.
[/quote]

Peter didn't turn them back at the end, the cards were pocketed after changing so at the conclusion you are left with one examinable card on the table should anyone grab for it. Jon Racherbauner suggested turning the colors back in Kabbala.
morro3
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of morro3
The Last Trick Of Dr. Jacob Daley for me and all the variations that I do in turn. Really love it.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1276 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
In case people are wondering what Jesters looks like I posted a youtube video of a random guy doing it although I should just tape myself doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0dfWHsd8m4
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
195 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
Doc Dougherty used to have a good packet trick out it was call Mirror-Aculous another mirror trick.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I agree with what has been said about 'best' and 'favorite' with the former actually being impossible to determine. That being said, I prefer packet tricks which can be done with normal cards culled from a deck. Vernon's Twisting the Aces tops my list. Another, which may not be considered a packet trick, is Immaculate Connection by Fred Harris since it uses normal cards in a very 'unnormal' way. As to packets which can't be culled from an ordinary deck, I really like Trost's 8 Card Brainwave. It is killer when done well. It can also be adapted to seasonal and themed routines with a little work making up a special packet. Finally, I'm finding a method/routine which David Ginn was giving away several years ago. The routine was called 'Magic Safarai' and involved a set of 9 cards with photos of animals from various continents. The method is mathematical and can also be adapted to various themes.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
And I just realized I misspoke above. I meant to say Paul Harris instead of Fred. I have a friend (non magician) named Fred Harris and his name popped into my mind while typing the post.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of dj
Here is a very nice routine with four Jokers.
"Miracle Jokers":
https://vimeo.com/71053065
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5209 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
ACES by Sanders is now one of my top packet tricks.
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
Packet tricks are all little stories that is why I love them, There are so many I have learned in the years I have been in Magic I would not know where to begin. Nick Trost by far is my favorite, Karl Fulves has some great packet tricks, Paul Gordon has some fun stuff. Here are some of my picks:
Prediction Gone Wild
Ghost Flight
Trifle
Boxing Aces
Gordon's Aces
Deca Oil & Water
Desperado
& I can list about a hundred more...
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
At the moment my favorite packet effects are

Ghost Buster by Peter Duffie
Sanverted by John Carney
Eight-Card Brainwave by Nick Trost
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-07-28 09:31, KokoB wrote:
Packet tricks are all little stories that is why I love them, There are so many I have learned in the years I have been in Magic I would not know where to begin. Nick Trost by far is my favorite, Karl Fulves has some great packet tricks, Paul Gordon has some fun stuff. Here are some of my picks:
Prediction Gone Wild
Ghost Flight
Trifle
Boxing Aces
Gordon's Aces
Deca Oil & Water
Desperado
& I can list about a hundred more...

Ghost Flight is very, very good!
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-07-28 10:18, galerius wrote:

Sanverted by John Carney

Sanverted and Eight-Card Brainwave are classics!

I'll look into Ghost Buster Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Lately, I've found myself doing a little set that includes 3 of my favorites... Smile

I begin with Twisting The Aces, followed by The Daley Trick with a finale of NFW, where I simply say something like, "Let me try a little something with 4 other friends"... The 4 jokers come out and eventually turn back into those 4 aces I started out with.

So first you start out with 4 aces that flip over face up one at a time, then the 2 black aces magically switch places with the 2 red aces in the spec's hands. And then you say enough with these aces, let's try 4 other cards - Jokers, Smile that eventually, impossibly turns back into the 4 aces. Smile

Really works pretty well for me. Smile All 3 effects can be done individually and would qualify as a classic effect on its own. Smile You can't lose! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Quote:
On 2013-07-28 18:31, sohaib wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-28 10:18, galerius wrote:

Sanverted by John Carney

Sanverted and Eight-Card Brainwave are classics!

I'll look into Ghost Buster Smile

Besides being a good one in itself, you can always perform 8CBW as an 'experiment' to test spectator's psychic powers...giving her the idea that she's a good subject to work with, for other effects to follow. At least, I used it this way a couple of times Smile

As for Ghost Buster, yes, give it a try, has a nice final gag !
theatfusatfus
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of theatfusatfus
Arsenal
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
77 Posts

Profile of Arsenal
For me:
1. "Jack 4 You" by Masuda
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15263
Cards are set on the card stand. Audience chooses one of the suits of the Jacks. (Let's say Hearts) When the magician spreads the cards, only Jack of Hearts is facing the audience. Also the back color of the Jack of Hearts is different from others. Finally, magician reveals the rest of the cards and they are all 4's. (4 of spades, and 4 of clubs)

2. "Stand up Monte" by Garrett Thomas
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2547

3. "Spin Doctor" by John Bannon
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11479