The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Switch-A-Two by Mark Mason (64 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Insisting customers purchase emery cloth to fix the working of the device is poor imho. The product should be supplied as fully functioning, not unfinished as you have confirmed.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2838 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Homing Card Sounds very interesting.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2021, Doric wrote:
Insisting customers purchase emery cloth to fix the working of the device is poor imho. The product should be supplied as fully functioning, not unfinished as you have confirmed.

Don’t you know that the new norm now when buying any magic product is that it will come with a repair video should yours break straight off the bat.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
765 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I find it strange, that when you buy a trick, you have to fix it to make it work. Sounds like the 70's when the quality of tricks I bought, from a certain magic company, went to garbage and had to be fixed. History repeats itself.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I think the main issue here is with how well the item is threaded. The thread is taped down and due to the nature of thread if that tape isn’t extremely secure it will eventually pull free. I have a far quicker way of threading it using the spaghetti string that Julie has for crafting so rethreading it isn’t a major issue. As far as I can tell the reason my unit does not allow the card to drop is the thread is curled. After getting it as straight as I can the card now drops about 50% of the time. I have ordered some 0.10mm thread which arrives tomorrow so I will try it with that. Whilst 0.10mm is only rated to 2lbs I think it should be more than strong enough for a couple of cards.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2021, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I think the main issue here is with how well the item is threaded. The thread is taped down and due to the nature of thread if that tape isn’t extremely secure it will eventually pull free. I have a far quicker way of threading it using the spaghetti string that Julie has for crafting so rethreading it isn’t a major issue. As far as I can tell the reason my unit does not allow the card to drop is the thread is curled. After getting it as straight as I can the card now drops about 50% of the time. I have ordered some 0.10mm thread which arrives tomorrow so I will try it with that. Whilst 0.10mm is only rated to 2lbs I think it should be more than strong enough for a couple of cards.

Mark

I hope you’re passing on this valuable information to Mr Mason so that he can update the ‘repair video’
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Well is is only valuable if you happen to have spaghetti string. The original uses a paper clip which most people are far more likely to have. In my case I didn’t have a paper clip or any wax to hand but I did have the spaghetti string so necessity was the mother of invention. More than happy to make a video as you could probably use more fishing line in place of the spaghetti string. When I get my new line tomorrow I will see if the line works as well as the spaghetti string.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1074 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2021, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2021, dman11 wrote:

While I'm at it I will replace the super fine line with a 15 or 20 pound flourocarbon fishing line (very strong and abrasion resistant)

Let us know how that goes because Chris Payne said for the gimmick to work properly, you need to use super thin and super light fishing line.

So, I will hold off on changing the line since the light stuff is what's recommended. However, if it does happen to break I will toughen it up a bit with flourocarbon line.
I did sand it though. It was very easy and came out great. I'm not sure if they are all the same but mine was very rough to the touch and would cause the line to "snag" up and just didn't operate very smoothly.

i started with a 320 grit and took off the heavy rough edges and then smoothed it out with 600. Its working so much better!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I wouldn’t go with the thicker line. I tried a .3mm line and it did not work well at all.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I just replaced the thread with a good quality .10mm thread and it now works like a dream.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Bingo.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
765 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Nothing like selling something, and then telling people how to fix it when it arrives! Thanks to people online to figure out the best way to remedy the problem.
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
Mine broke the first day and I returned it. Fantastic item however the thread/string issue and repair is negative for me. I always buy from Penguin Magic, item was returned for a refund. I love Mark Mason and his products, best demo guy around.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2838 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2022, mysticalsales wrote:
Mine broke the first day and I returned it. Fantastic item however the thread/string issue and repair is negative for me. I always buy from Penguin Magic, item was returned for a refund. I love Mark Mason and his products, best demo guy around.
same here. Love Marks products but sadly this was a big dud.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
765 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
He did have a good idea, I will give him that!
Don Wand
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Don Wand
I have the first one that came out. Sill works Great I think I will just be happy with the one I got. I have never had any problems with my old one.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Whilst I think having to secure the thread, or even replace it is a pain in the ass, particularly considering the price of the unit, I think it is worth the aggro when you consider the usefulness of the utility. Whilst the thread does not seem to have been properly secured in a lot of the units it only takes a couple of minutes to rethread it and stick it down securely. If you want to be absolutely certain a dot of superglue will lock the thread very securely in place.

I’d rather not have had to fart around with it and it really should work perfectly out of the box but the end result is that I have a utility that I will get a lot of use out of. I have waited a long time for this to come back on to the market and the small amount of faffing around with it and the £7.99 I spent on the .10mm fishing line is worth it for the amount of use I will get out of the unit.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Don Wand
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Don Wand
I would have sent it back ask for one they checked out first before sending it out. It should be sold at a discount till it's fixed.. at least send the stuff you need to fix it with where you don't have to run all over..
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4194 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I considered sending it back and I know from experience that Mark Mason would have bent over backwards to make sure I ended up with a product that I was fully satisfied with. However all that takes time whereas the fishing line was delivered next day by Amazon and once here it took around 5 minutes to have the unit working like an absolute dream. I also have a lifetimes supply of fishing line so that I can ensure this works perfectly way way into the distant future.

For me that was a far more expedient solution with added long term benefits and was worth the extra couple of quid to have it sorted very quickly over the period where the postal system is dog slow. I am sure I will also find additional uses for all of the spare fishing line I now have.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You’re going to take up 🎣 you mean?