The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring and spring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-11-25 17:36, ringmaster wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1YSnqiwnj8

Looks good, it shows you that this effect has a lot to offer.
I have done that with a wire coat hanger.
I think his is $29.95 plus shipping.
If you own linking coat hangers, just add the spring.
Also works with plastic hangers.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Ian,you make me want tricks I didn`t even know I wanted! ;>)

Great job,
John
Nothing is better than more.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Years ago, I wrote some booklets. "Best Dam Tricks" about 20 pages of ideas with the rubber dam, then the "Magic with a steel ball and tube", and "Haunted pack book of revelations". All fairly obscure, one-note effects. But, I cam do 20 minutes of magic that holds the attention with a ball and tube. I can walk into any shop in the country and sell out their shelf with my Haunted deck moves.
The ring and spring is a great one-on-one effect when pitching your magic shows, they always assume you can float a lady if you can amaze them with something simple.
When researching the Ball and tube book, I had contributions and effects from all over the US and Europe. Some effects were proprietory and could not be included. I always welcomed contributions and gave credit where due. Even when I thought of the same thing, I included effects performed by others.
I had one book I wrote on the Slush gel, "Slush book of magic and mischief" refused by most distributors not because they didn't want it, but because they decided it was such a great batch of effects that they would have their in-house guys write a version.
That year 6 magic companies had their own in-house booklet. (that was the last time I went to a MDA "magic dealers association" convention.
All of my ideas come from idol down-time while running my brick and mortar magic shop for 30 years.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Sorry about the typos. Idol should be idle. propietory should be proprietary,
-------------------------------------
Some other booklets "110 tricks w a stripper deck" "110 tricks with a Svengali deck".
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Just ordered this Ian. Thanks!

Jim
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 01:13, J-Mac wrote:
Just ordered this Ian. Thanks!

Jim

Its on its way, thanks.
It looks like you will see this at your local shops next month, thanks for all your support. When I have these new projects, your comments and orders shape the product and make me work harder.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I added another 6 minutes to the DVD and sent out a download link to those who have received or are waiting for their copy.
This should be the last update on this and thanks for your support.
Anyone getting a DVD from today on will have a complete copy.
-Thanks,
-Ian
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Distribution Nationally in one week. Thanks to all for the support.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is one of those tricks that needs to be seen to appreciated. I was doing magic for 10 years. Owned one spring and ring, looked at the explanation, and said okay to myself.

One day, I asked the local magic shop owner, why he keeps this ring and spring in stock all the time. He pulled it out and showed me the effect. He put the ring on easily, and handed it to me to remove. I hand long forgotten the "secret", so was puzzled. Could not get the ring off.

He took it back and openly removed the ring, I had tried for several minutes to get off. Again, everything looked very open, and again I was stumped.

The surprise and excitement is created inside you of how great a trick this little puzzle is. No video or words will do this. So I suggest, is to buy this and have someone perform it for you, so you can see the benefits of this little gem. Don't watch the video instructions before the one you give it to. If you have kids, have them learn it and show you. They will appreciate fooling you.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Check this out:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13004

I have it, (the original version) and the spring in this version of the trick is HUGE...

It is big, thick, heavy-duty, and heavy.

When you drop it on a table in front of a spectator and they pick it up (and of course they can), they get one of THOSE looks on their faces!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-12-15 16:50, Rainboguy wrote:
Check this out:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13004

I have it, (the original version) and the spring in this version of the trick is HUGE...

It is big, thick, heavy-duty, and heavy.

When you drop it on a table in front of a spectator and they pick it up (and of course they can), they get one of THOSE looks on their faces!

I have the same routine in my DVD using a standard coat hangar. Works as well. Been doing it for years.
PLUS I have all of the additional routines. That link you gave is a repeat of the "ringmaster" link given earlier and already discussed in this thread.

I also give a plug of that effect ON my DVD. I show the "Penguin ad" at the end of my Coat Hangar demo. Most people I have spoken to, however, prefer a coat hangar that doesn't scream "prop".

The routine is very nice, but you can't do the advanced moves with the larger spring. The standard spring and hangar can be done one-handed which is even more deceptive and just as effective.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I was performing this as a comedy bit for a while, nothing impressive, just a few phases of "now take the ring off the spring. it wont work? oh, try this one, okay that works, so trade me, now, take the ring off the spring, what do you mean it wont come off, well this one works just fine!" so on and so forth. but I could never really find anywhere to go from there.... it feels like it needs a real ending to justify them in general, this may be exactly what I needed, but I'm too poor for it right now haha, too poor for anything, wasn't thinking I would find any effects I really wanted so I just blew all my Christmas money on expensive cards from Ellusionist, which I love, but now I wish I had dropped a few decks so I had the money for this.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The best success I have with this is the two person routine as you pit one against the other. Then I actually expose it and teach them the actual method (not my subtle one-handed), then zonk em with the magicians burn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3j1qf-q5I
This was a noisy shoot, but you'll get the idea.
LCBellah
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of LCBellah
Ian, this looks like a lot of fun to play with. I ordered my set today. Thanks.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Thanks, yours was sent this morning. The National release is next week.
This is becoming even more enjoyable as I have been showing it to non-magicians more and more. The finesse moves work so well and the puzzle itself is still very strong. Hands on, misdirection, and alternate methods seem to be ideal for a solid presentation at a very small cost.
Thanks for all of your support.
-Ian
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Attention dealers: D. Robbins officially has stock of this, Murphys should have theirs Friday. Bill H., yours went out at 2 pm.
Thanks again for all of your support.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Very excited to receive the Ring and Spring routines. I was really fooled by the local magic shop owner several years back; because even though I had the effect for years, I never bothered to read the instructions to see what it was suppose to do.

I hear you have some nice handling ideas for the classic Steel Ball and Tube, looking forward to reading them.

These two old tricks can be killers with the right handlings and presentation.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I am working on a DVD on the ball and tube. As much a the booklet describes some unique moves, there is nothing like a visual.
Talk about out of the box thinking. Here is a ball and tube video clip.
http://magicians.podbean.com/ball-tube-effects/
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
180 Posts

Profile of lekin
It's funny. I've had the booklet "Magic with a Steel Ball and Tube" for years but never associated it with you until that clip. I think it's because I associate you so much with ropes. Anyway, nice clip giving an idea of the versatility of this simple prop. Thanks for posting.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The cover of that booklet was done by Ed Mishell who did many of the illustrations in Tannens catalogs and many books way back when. When he did my name "magic Ian" he made the "I" in my name as a ball and tube (the ball being the top of the "i").