The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Big and the Small :: What do you do with mini cards? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
George Hills Table Hoppers Clock from Aldo Colombini's Cardboard Curiosities DVD.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Shrink A Card from Curtis Kam's Professional Close-up book.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
JH5magic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of JH5magic
Just bought a dozen miniature decks ($6 on amazon) and 10 one-inch square plastic cubes ($12 on ebay) and plan to play around with working out using them in a card revelation. Of course I can dig out my old Phil Goldstein lecture notes and do "Ice Dice" with two of them.

One other effect using a mini card that comes to mind is for the final revelation of a selection. The magician with the comical air of a pseudo mentalist confidently states (with raised eyebrow and all)"Your card was a larger value card... no wait... it was a smaller one. What was your card?" The audience member who has fallen off his chair in complete enjoyment of your card magic up to this point, states through tears of laughter "It was the King of Diamonds." With that the magician riffles the deck and up pops a mini card of the King of Diamonds. Everyone goes home satisfied and happy.

John
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
In effects where a card disappears - 'melts' - in a glass, or bowl, of water I find a mini card can play well.
I developed my personal ( modest ) routine where first time the experiment fails using a standard sized card ( a plastic card cause I actually dunk the card in the water ), then patter about the fact you've missed the effect because you're tired, or the invisible powder you used was too old and spoilt, or any other explanation I choose to give at the moment...then, you try with the minicard and this time all is well, due to the fact the mini was smaller than the previous one and didn't request so much power.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
854 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
There is a pretty effect by Mathew Dowden in his Party Animal DVD's, where a selected card is "thrown" at a spectator's hands and it changes in mid-air into a miniature card
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
Mini invisible deck
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Tommy wonder has a routine called Magic Ranch, it ends with a miniature of the selected card in a plastic egg that is in the full view of the audience the whole time.
MagicVeronika
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
18 Posts

Profile of MagicVeronika
Electric card with mini cards will be a interesting idea.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
To expand on Andreas suggestion. Do an effect where the regular deck transforms into the mini deck. Then do one or two tricks using the mini deck, maybe a triumph or out of this world. The mini deck can be gaffed (rough/smooth) or preset to a specific sequence. No one would suspect it's a red herring beyond being the kicker ending of the original trick.
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
246 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
I’m hoping that card-shark with eventually release mini Phoenix decks.
Christian has said many times that he hopes to, and Mark Masons latest release, CSB Cards, uses mini Phoenix cards, so fingers crossed!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2012, murrari wrote:
I think Bob Jardine's 'LITLLE ESP' is one of the finest effects you can perform with a mini deck. You can watch it here: http://youtu.be/U3ZByKPYjcM

Taught in full on Bob's excellent DVD (it was a VHS when I watched it) though you may be able to suss out the method from the performance.

Cheers

AM

My search for mini deck card tricks lead me here. I took a look at Jardine's Little ESP and really like it. I have a suspicion of the method but I sure can't see it being done on the video! So that leadme to a search for DVDs or books by Jardine and had no success finding those...

However, I found an online seller HSM (Hot Shot Magic) that sells Little ESP including a mini deck! I'm a little reluctant to order from it as looking at the site it appears it has not been updated since Feb. 2017.

Anybody have any dealings with HSM?
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I finally can go the next step to put together a print run for Phoenix Mini Decks. I plan red and blue backs, but what about trick cards?! Suggestions?
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, Card-Shark wrote:
I finally can go the next step to put together a print run for Phoenix Mini Decks. I plan red and blue backs, but what about trick cards?! Suggestions?

@Christian
In any case, a gimmick card for "Shrinking Deck" routine.
It's a poker-size card, with Joker on one side (photo 1) and four mini cards on the other side (photo 2).
On the photo 3 you can see a poker-size deck of cards spread out. The last four mini cards (on the right side) is this gimmick card.
The spread poker-size deck of cards looks like a mini deck of cards (photo 3).

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Darko
Bunny Quinn
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Bunny Quinn
Can you get printing done on mini cards? I have a cool idea for a trick!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Just noticed in photo 2 that the Joker has 3 mini's on the back and one full size edge (on the left)... could spoil the illusion if there is an eagle eye spectator.

Quote:
On Apr 13, 2018, dj wrote:
Quote:

@Christian
In any case, a gimmick card for "Shrinking Deck" routine.
It's a poker-size card, with Joker on one side (photo 1) and four mini cards on the other side (photo 2).
On the photo 3 you can see a poker-size deck of cards spread out. The last four mini cards (on the right side) is this gimmick card.
The spread poker-size deck of cards looks like a mini deck of cards (photo 3).

Photo 2:

Darko
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
715 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Force a card (criss cross cut) , then say I will find it in a very crazy way , you try to cut straight, you try to make spectator find the card, you try fancy cuts, ...everything fails..after three or fourfails fails and good acting, ( show that you feel anxious because of the failures) reveal the mini card that you carry ALWAYS in your wallet,say it is your lucky card, like Scrooge mcDuck has his lucky coin. Do you think this is simple? try it and see the reactions. I don't know why but this simple effect getting the craziest reactions in my repertoire.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
This just showed up in my in box.
Miniature Card Magic by Hen Fetsch

https://www.lybrary.com/miniature-card-magic-p-922622.html
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
264 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
A lady selects a card and I bet her a nickel that I can find it.
I pretend to have some trouble thinking of the card.
I try to read her mind. I stare intently at her.
I turn to her husband and say, "I hope you don't me staring at your wife. It's the most fun I can have for a nickel."
Eventually, I pretend to give in and flip the nickel on the table.
If I'm lucky, it turns over and lands with the miniature version of her card showing on it.
If not, I turn it over so she can see it.
She can keep the nickel if she wants.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
"It is Miniature Mysteries With Cards compiled by Barbara Walker in 1980. It was published by Lloyd Jones/Magic Ltd. in Oakland, California. Tons of Magic with the little cards.

For the interest of those who care, she mentions that this project began as a simple reissue of Hen Fetsch's short pamphlet entitled Miniature Card Magic. "

This is interesting. I tried to find this as recommended in this thread but could not. but Fetsch's is still available at lybrary.com.

I think miniature cards could work well with a card index. Also, you could do an expanded version of Kollosal Killer due to the extra cards you could use.
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
246 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
Quote:

Any update on this Christian?
I recently had to buy a bicycle mini deck, and it’s not even usable - the quality is so poor.
I’d happily pay €7.50 for a decent mini deck