The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Finger Ring Routines (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 17:54, Jeff O wrote:
Where can I get a ring like the one Jay Scott Berry uses in that performance?

It's called a Jardine Ellis ring. Johnson makes them but you should be able to find them at almost any brick-and-mortar or online magic shop.

Thanks!

Jim
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
David Stone has a really nice routine on his DVD where a borrowed ring is vanished and ends up in a small locked box.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 23:19, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 17:54, Jeff O wrote:
Where can I get a ring like the one Jay Scott Berry uses in that performance?

It's called a Jardine Ellis ring.

Actually, a Jardine Ellis ring has special qualities that Jay does not use in that routine. The ring used is a standard item that can be purchased in any hardware store -- just look for a seamless metal ring that's about an inch and a half in diameter. Jay's routine is accomplished without gaffed items. It is sleight of hand alone.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I agree with Jaz
Bob Millers "relentless ring and string dvd" is IMO the best routine to date.
Bob was kind enough to demonstrtate one of my moves on his updated dvd.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I really like Dan Fleshman's Sonata for Ring and String:

http://www.thetrickery.com/full/General-......key=6487

Hard to beat at $10.

Also Dan Garrett's moves in Jerry Mentzer's Magic with Finger Rings are worth looking at.

Jerry's book is $20 from Jerry himself:

http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/cupbooks.html
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
For a finger ring and rope the best routine IMO is Wedding Ring Redux.
For a rope and ring (3 inch size) routine there is Comedy Rope and Ring Routine.

Both are in Kingdom of the Red by Larry Barnowsky in the book and the DVD
http://www.barnowskymagic.com

Bob Miller's Relentless Ring is also very good for ring on string
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Tom Stone has a nice linking finger ring routine called Gold Wielder. You can find it on his DVD and in his book.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Click here: VinnyMarini.com "all access "NO 5 I have a ring and string routine you may or may want to check out
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 23:04, nonvpro wrote:
Dan Fleshman's Ring & String routine. Been doing it for years and never fails to get a great reaction.

Dan Fleshman's routine is called Sonata. It is a beautifully choreographed, four phase routine for the Ring and String that looks like poetry in motion. Not only is it designed by Dan Flehsman, but it's published by Jim Sisti and The Magic Menu: two good signs telling that it's a "worker".
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I agree that Dan Fleshman's routine is great. I've been performing it for over 10 years.
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
OK, so now that we have some routines, how about sharing the kinds of rings and strings/ribbons you use?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I prefer a plain wedding band and black shoelace but will use a borrowed, a wide band ring.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 16:36, Jeff O wrote:
OK, so now that we have some routines, how about sharing the kinds of rings and strings/ribbons you use?

It really depends on what is called for in the types of sleights you use. Wedding bands are great for some moves, while others may look better with a signet style ring. I think the routine dictates the ring and/or the ring may dictate the routine. You also have to look at local preferences -- are signet rings common where you perform? Can you borrow one? Jaz says he uses/prefers a simple wedding band -- this is great because they are simple and visually clean and since there are no stones to lose -- but if I were in an audience and asked to lend mine, I would probably refuse. It's the only jewelry I wear and it is meaningful to me -- not for use in some magic trick. Of course, I wouldn't give any suspicious thought at all to a performer using his own wedding ring if it were the only ring he wore. I have seen magicians in my area wear quite a number of rings regularly (some kind of personal "style" statement). I would find ALL of those rings suspicious.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
I like using either a nice cloth ribbon or rounded lace/cord. Something that looks a little more elegant.
– Karl Germain
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 16:36, Jeff O wrote:

I use band style rings, currently a cheap mood ring. I used to use a silver ring with turquoise inlays, until it got stolen in a burglary.

As for the string, I use about a 15" length of round shoelace. It makes it easier to do the Leveridge move with. The ends are saturated with white glue and rolled between the fingers until they come to a point. In a pinch, magicians wax can be worked into the ends.
eidanyoson
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of eidanyoson
Well, Eidanyoson, from Magiapotagia forum has some cool own moves and routines with regular rings. ( Trhough some fingers together, changing from one finger to other in the other hand, disappearing and reappearing again in one finger, etc, etc)

In fact, I´m Eidan and I allways wanted to know if there are interesting or not. (Sorry my english).

You can contact with me/him in that forum.

Thak you to the others routines and ideas. I´m investigating more Smile
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Here is a quick piece of impromptu flim flam foolery using a borrowed ring.
In your right pocket have a bill of any denomination. Have a few quarters finger palmed in your left hand. Borrow a lady's ring and display it in the right hand. Fake transfer to the left hand,without exposing the change. Right hand goes to the pocket and comes out with the bill. Display bill casually front and back without exposing the ring and then crumple up the bill,loading ring inside. Put this on the lady's palm.

Say you will change her ring into anything they want..... Have some fun with this and then open the left hand to reveal the transformation to pocket change. Direct the lady to open up the crumpled bill she has held since the 'beginning' and she will discover her finger ring.

Could play well...

John
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
David Harkey's Goldfinger is a great effect. Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
May I suggest that you don't simply take someone else's routine like Dan Fleshman (or any other for that matter) and just copy it adding only your personality.

Change at least one effect and vary some of the intermediate effects. For example there is a new handling for a floating ring effect (different hooking than Steve Fearson's one) that you could briefly place in your routine to explain (sucker explanation) how the ring flies away from the string. http://www.thebluecrown.com/store/tricks......lay.html

Alternatively you could have started with a pill box that you empty on the table before borrowing the ring (Okito box and tic-tacs) and, at some point make the ring magically travel there after it escapes from the string (don't take it initially out from the box because jewels are never presented in Okito boxes in real life). This adds a transposition effect to a repetitive "solid through solid effect".

Don't use shoe laces which have a conflicting style with a precious finger ring that you borrow for the trick but consider Richard Sanders very impressive effect called "Interlace" for your final effect which, then, justifies finally involving a lace as impossible and odd place. Then you added a "travel to impossible place" effect to your routine.

Now if you are to use a borrowed finger ring, which is a jewel, you may want to use a golden chain normally placed around ladies' necks (which cost surprisingly little) in choker size so that it's long enough. The "jewel" correlation makes your trick look more "precious" and adds consistency between the the borrowed ring and the chain you bring in.

Some jewellers sell, as a substitute to golden chains, leather laces with golden locking device at each end. These would also work.

Another workable string are the standard (and cheapest In-ear headphones cable looking like the http://www.headphone.com/headphones/senn......lack.php or http://www.headphone.com/headphones/skullcandy-titan.php
They give a modern high tech flavor to your routine but don't look as elegant as a golden chain. They are however perceived as genuine and normal for you to have it with you, and people easily relate to them.

You get the idea: don't take a "magician's rope" which would make you look like an amateur magician doing a trick at the nearby club. Always think in terms of what relates most closely the effect to what lay people commonly use with the type of props involved. The borrowed ring is automatically the star of the show in your considered routine so it's what drives the choice of the accessory props. It should not be driven by the performer's comfort or habit: consistency in props plays along the "Gestalt law of grouping" making your magic "real"
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Lots of great finger ring effects/routines have been mentioned, but I have found a very simple impromptu effect where a loop of string is placed over the spectators thumbs, then the ring is placed fairly on the string. Then while everything remains visible and inches from their eyes, you pull the ring off the string.

For as simple as this is, I have gotten very good responses to it.

You can find it it the magical tome, by the auspicious name, Magic for Dummies.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking