The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Spray Painting - Sanding Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
1000 grit sand paper. Try 0000 steel wool instead.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2010-11-15 21:35, AGMagic wrote:
If the surface you are sanding is not flat or if you just want to knock off some crud that may have stuck to the finish, you can use 0000 steel wool to lightly smooth (buff) the surface. Follow this with automotive polishing compound (not rubbing compound - it is too agressive) then coat with a high quality automotive wax. I used this on furniture and jukebox restorations for years and it works great.

I must say I am jealous of all of those who can still spray lacquer. It has been outlawed here in California. I am having to learn a whole new way of doing things. The worst thing is the 2 part paint with hardener. You can't put it back in the can if you have any left over and the stuff is expensive!

I obviously did not read the whole thread.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
[quote]Incidentally, I believe the ban on nitro-cellulose lacquer only applies to the sale of the material within the state and to it's usage in the auto industry. Consumers are free to bathe in the stuff if they so desire, and can obtain the stuff (off the internet, perhaps?)...
[quote]
Gaddy, you may be right. I just know I can't buy it anyplace. I used to get spraying lacquer on trips out of LA county but my last trip the shop owner said it was banned in all of California. I love lacquer. It is so forgiving.

The 2 part stuff they sell goes on well and dries rock hard overnight but it stays tacky for several hours...no problem in a paint shop but not ideal in MY garage shop! Perhaps a heat lamp would help reduce the cure time.

Before I get jumped on by the AQMD (air quality management district for those who don't speak Californian) I should state that I spray way less than a gallon a year. My last gallon of clear lasted me 10 years. 95% of my spraying is done with touch-up (detail) gun.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Everyone:

It's been a while since my original post, and I finally have a couple of projects I'm willing to experiment on. I have a small base for ABC Blocks that I've painted and have applied several coats of Krylon Glossy Clear Coat.

The next step in my plan is to lightly sand down the clear coat with 1000 grit sandpaper. I plan on going very lightly with a sanding block. Once that's done, I plan on using the Ultimate Compound mentioned in the YouTube video. I don't have any decals on the base - no worries there.

I went back and read all the comments which are VERY helpful. I understand Bill's point about getting the surface level to create the piano shine I'm after. So, leveling is going to be my goal here.

Does my plan sound okay? BTW...I found another video by the same guy - this time he uses spray paint and eliminates a lot of steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MsVWj3fG......&list=UL

Thanks.

Ron
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Update for those interested...I tried out the above technique, but I'm dissappointed. The finish doesn't seem to be improved much, if at all. I bought 1500 grit paper, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm going to try the process again to see if I get better results.

Ron
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Here is an update: I've done a fair amount of experimenting, and I'm having much better results. I'm using 1500 grit paper and then the rubbing compound. Sometimes, I'll do 2 or 3 coats of the rubbing compound to get the scratches out that are left from the sandpaper.

The three photos below are from three current projects: Stratosphere base, Traveling Block base, block from Block-go.

Tomorrow, I'm going to experiement on a piece of apparatus that has a waterslide decal underneath the clear coat. I want to see if the sanding and rubbing compound will mess up the decal.

Ron
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Great job Ron!

Use extreme caution when sanding over the waterslide decals. It's easy to sand through the clear coat! Believe me, I've learned the hard way. With guitars and nitrocellulose lacquer I can re-shoot the clear coat if I sand through, but it's still a pain. I could see where it might damage the waterslide decal, so be careful.

Regan
Mister Mystery