The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Misled Pencil? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-06-01 09:29, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 21:41, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 06:41, AncientGhost90 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 10:58, Christopher Lyle wrote:
My ONLY issue with Mislead is that NOBODY carries a pencil so for you to just pull one out looks very suspect.

I have the bill signed and I say that since signing a bill with a pen is illegal we will just use a pencil...
just my 2 cents

It is not illegal to have a bill signed with a pen. That is a myth that magicians like to keep going for some odd and often uneducated reason.

The only way writing on U.S. paper money with a pen, would become illegal is if you were to somehow change the denomination of the bill. Say you have a one dollar bill and you changed the numbers in the corners from a 1 to a 5. you try to buy something with that bill and pass it off as five. Then that would be illegal. But writing on U.S. paper money is not against the law. That is a fact. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

Lighten up, the reason so many magicians use this line is because it gets a laugh. That should be your purpose in presenting magic, is to entertain and bring a little joy in the World to those watching. I don't care if it fact or not. If you have a problem with that maybe you should give up magic, as all magic tricks are also a lie and not fact.

NO Why spread around a myth that most everyone outside of magic thinks is true? I certainly won't help spread false information. Anyone that knowingly does is just as stupid as the ones that came up with the false information. Just because it may get a cheap laugh doesn't mean it should be spouted. That's the problem with many magicians they have know clue what real humor is. That is a fact.

B.t.w. Your comment on maybe I should give up magic as magic is a lie anyway. Was not too bright. I'm not like Jerry Andruss was and never lied but would you have said that to him? Yes we all know magic is not real etc... But your comment didn't make one bit of sense.

Yes now I will sit back and wait till you or someone else tries to turn what I said about MOST magicians not knowing what humor is, into I said ALL magicians. Not many seem to know the difference between most and all either.
Odilon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Odilon
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 21:41, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 06:41, AncientGhost90 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 10:58, Christopher Lyle wrote:
My ONLY issue with Mislead is that NOBODY carries a pencil so for you to just pull one out looks very suspect.

I have the bill signed and I say that since signing a bill with a pen is illegal we will just use a pencil...
just my 2 cents

It is not illegal to have a bill signed with a pen. That is a myth that magicians like to keep going for some odd and often uneducated reason.

The only way writing on U.S. paper money with a pen, would become illegal is if you were to somehow change the denomination of the bill.

I live in Italy and it IS illegal here. Plus, I think that people don't like to "ruin" a 100€ bill with a signature, the pencil makes more sense to me.
Odilon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Odilon
Quote:
On 2010-06-01 09:13, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-01 06:01, AncientGhost90 wrote:

I have to disagree. Void is a great trick for being impromptu but the second phase is not as convincing as in misled. In misled you can clearly see a part of the pen going inside the bill. With void... well you can't.
Void also don't have the "rip" sound that misled have and sound so perfect.

Void is a great trick to do if the ask "the one with the pencil and the bill". But if you have the misled gimmick.... well I think it's better.

You also get that "ripped" sound with Void...you don't hear it on the Danny's demo b/c of the music but in actual performance, they can hear the bill rip as the straw is punched thru the bill.

I disagree with your statement about the 2nd phase. I think it looks 99% identical to MisLead.

My only point to all of this is that no matter how you try and justify it, NOBODY walks around with a pencil unless they are a math teacher or an architect. You need to stop thinking like a Magician on this one and view this from a laymen's perspective.

Pulling out a pencil is very out of place in today's world. A pen is different (Perfect Pen), but then it's your pen and I think even tho' folks can examine it, they still wonder what they may have missed.

Having the ability to take a straw off a table that was there before you arrived and borrowing a bill and performing MisLead completely impromptu is very strong and they look darn near identical.

well, you can also make a mislead gimmick for a straw. that way it will seem impromptu and the effect is the same...
Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
Quote:
well, you can also make a mislead gimmick for a straw. that way it will seem impromptu and the effect is the same...

Very true! I think you might have mended a house divided with that tip! I've always loved misled, but Garcia has more than a couple effects revolving around a straw and bill that are powerful impromptu stand-ins. I don't recall the name of the other, but it involves the spectator holding the other end of the straw just before he pulls the bill down through it. A beautiful addition to the routine!
Twitter:@Zachary_Heath
Instagram: @zachheathmagic
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-06-01 09:13, Christopher Lyle wrote:

Pulling out a pencil is very out of place in today's world. A pen is different (Perfect Pen), but then it's your pen and I think even tho' folks can examine it, they still wonder what they may have missed.

As opposed to what....pulling out a Sharpie for some signed coin or card effect! You're thinking too much like a magician in my opinion. After all, the pencil can be FULLY examined. Also, with Mislead, the pencil is visibly shown to be through the bill. Both are great effects, but I don't think carrying around a pencil for such a great effect is any more unusual than a magician always having a Sharpie on him! Just how many people do you know that always have a Sharpie on them? Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
A pencil is a solid chunk of wood with a piece of lead up the middle of it.

I think it's better received than other gimmicks I've tried for this effect because it is such a primitive thing and is actuallly completely ungaffed.

I'm sure our audiences don't really care what we shove through the middle of a bill, as long as it makes logical sense (the object doing the penetrating and vice-versa) and looks convincing.

"Just get on with it" as the old saying goes.

Cheers.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Well said J.W.,and that rather puts things in perspective as it were.
A pencil certainly is innocent enough, especially considering that it can be examined before and after the effect. Also, if your lucky enough to get a good buy on the proper pencil and purchase them in a large quantity, you can occasionally let the spectator keep it. I can't imagine doing that with a pen!

However, when all is said and done, if any effect is presented properly it really makes no difference what you use to do the "magic". The spectator really doesn't care as long as it dumbfounds them.

If one starts to split hairs too much you might as well toss out an Okito Coin box when doing a coin routine, or for that matter, toss out using silver dollars, or even half dollars, as how many people actually ever see them! Such discussions about something having to be a generic item, or an everyday usable item that one carries in everyday life can go on ad nauseum! Just do it, whatever it is, and do it....GOOD! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
To each their own I guess...

For me, I really enjoy the times when I'm able to do magic with what is laying around in my surroundings.

No matter what you pull from your pockets to perform, a lot of people are usually of the assumption that "something's up" with whatever you pulled out (pack of cards, a pen/pencil/sharpie, some odd little magic prop, etc.).

I would wager to guess that less than 1% of the world use a pencil for anything in their day to day grind unless their a student, an accountant, or a contractor/construction worker/architect. In my opinion, for one to pull out a pencil just seems off to me.

Think about it. Would you rather go to your pocket and remove a pencil or ask someone to hand you one of the straws that has been sitting on the table since before you ever walked up?

The visual effect of these routines are almost identical. It just seems to me that the straw would be more powerful since it's an item that's been on their table. They can take the wrapper off the straw, they examine it and then they hand it to you along with one of their bills and at the end, you're clean without having to steal anything off the straw, and the best part...they get everything back!

Don't think for a second that I'm discounting Mislead at all. It's a find product. I just think in today's world, the more "impromptu" one can make the magic feel, the better....

My 2 cents FWIW...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2728 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Watching Carl Cloutier's Bill in Kiwi and seeing his pencil thru bill is awesome. He actually moves the pencil back and forth.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Odilon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Odilon
I did Misled 5 times today. Every time I had the bill initialed, not because I wanted to prove "no switching involved" but because I wanted them to be sure that the pencil was regular without asking them to examine it (why examine a simple pencil?) At the end I placed the (clean) pencil on the table casually. None even looked ad it.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

I had to drag this one back out...

I got to thinking about this thread again and so I went digging and found my old "misled" and thought I'd try an experiment.

I'm very close friends with my neighbors...on both sides of my house along with across the street, etc. Over the last couple of days, we have had a break to all this Texas heat. Last evening, it was in the high 60s which meant that everyone was just sitting outside hanging out in their yards enjoying the weather, watching our kids play, riding bikes, blah, blah. blah.

My neighbors know that I'm a Magician but they respect the fact that it's my job so they never ask to see me do anything (AWESOME!). I tell you this to set up the fact that these people are not accustomed to watching me perform magic. On occasion they pop into one of my restaurants but that's about it.

So this "experiment" was 101% completely objective from a true laymen viewpoint, none of whom have ever seen me perform EITHER Misled or Void.

I gathered everyone around (about 20 or so people when you add in their kids, etc) and explained to them that I wanted to show them 2 routines that were very similar in nature and wanted to get their opinion and thoughts on both after I was done.

I performed BOTH routines (Misled and Void) back to back and asked their thoughts.

First and foremost...everyone was totally fooled by both routines. Gasps, screams, WOWs, etc. Arn't laymen fun! LOL!

I did Misled first. I borrowed a bill, removed the pencil and performed the routine, got the reactions, and that was that. I handed the bill back and put the pencil away.

I then asked anyone if they had any straws in their home. My neighbor across the street did so he ran in and got me one.

NOTE: It was very important that I not provide the straw for this routine as I thought that would tarnish the results of this experiment. By me providing the straw, that would destroy the result that I'm trying to prove here.

He returned, I borrowed a different bill, took his straw and performed VOID!

The general consensus was that both routines were very amazing and super visual. Nobody could tell A SINGLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EITHER ROUTINE except that one used a borrowed straw and the other used my pencil.

However, they ALL agreed that VOID was the better trick.

When I asked why, they all agreed that anytime a Magician removes something from his pocket to use, they wonder "what's wrong with it" as it's our job to "cheat" somehow or use items that were purchased at a magic store. Someone even said "I've never seen a grown man carry a pencil around in his pocket, so even tho I thought it looked very good, I wondered what was SPECIAL about the pencil?"

What everyone loved about Void was that I borrowed a straw and a bill and performed what they thought to be a miracle with two objects that were not my own and at the conclusion, I handed everything right back out. They agreed that it was better than removing a pencil from my pocket (which they all agreed seemed odd and out of place).

I'm in no way discounting Misled here. It's awesome and does the job. Super visual.

However...it's the opinion of about 20 laymen that VOID is much better.

Watch both again back to back and see what you think:

Misled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoMl_UZjgqo&feature=related
Void: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KNr5zE0iU0

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
PsychoJack
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of PsychoJack
Void is great, but it's hard to be as slick as Danny does
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Yes, Danny is a very good magician.

Haven`t seen this advertised anywhere. Where can I buy it?

Thanks,
John
Nothing is better than more.
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Void all the way Lyle, you're right.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
John, it's on the "Symphony" by Daniel Garcia, DVD. If you like Penguin Magic, you can get it here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1979

You get 4 other effects on this DVD as well. I have always liked Daniel Garcia's stuff.

And Christopher, yeah, I prefer VOID as well. I have to admit, Copperfield performs like no other. The humor and the interaction with the audience is unique. I can see why this (Misled) took off like it did.

For the money, though, Daniel Garcia's "Symphony" for sure!

Doug.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Thanks Dougini.

Did I understand it right, that it is impromptu, bill is borrowed and straw is ungimmickd?

How about reset time?

John
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

No gimmicks and since you borrow everything there is no reset time....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Misled, is not impromptu, but done right (and I have an idea how to solve the above problems with it), can be effective and a jaw dropper as well. Void, however, being a Daniel Garcia effect, AND impromptu, everything borrowed, is really the one for me.

Really, we have come SO FAR in magic, since Misled was introduced in the 90's, and with the advent of Daniel Garcia, Magic is light years ahead.

Doug
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
If it is impromptu why are we talking about a straw, and what kind of straw; plastic see through, plastic opaque , coffee stirrer straw or maybe a paper straw. Could it be done with a pencil, pen or other object as well if no straw is available?

Thanks,
John
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-08-30 02:02, ropeadope wrote:
...what kind of straw? Plastic see through, plastic opaque, coffee stirrer straw or maybe a paper straw? Could it be done with a pencil, pen or other object as well, if no straw is available?

Yes.