The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building my first Modern Art Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I am working on the curved portion under the table and the table top this week maybe a new picture next week.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Would be great seeing your progress and waiting for the pics.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I got the top, base and table top done. still working on the curve under the table. Sorry I am so slow.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......AGED.jpg

The paint job will be yellow and black.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It is shaping up and getting better as more things are done on it. It is looking better now.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......llow.jpg

2 Coats of yellow 2 more to go. The table is dark gray but not as dark as the picture shows.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
That is nice and it is really shaping up. Thanks for the pic again, illusionman2
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
That is really looking nice. Way better then mine.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I got the curved part under the table done, I made it a very solid unit that drops in (thanks Dan) (can't show this on open form).I also drew in the art on the front I went with a skinner curver figure.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......tART.jpg
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This really looks good. You should be proud of your accomplishment.

Can I ask how you cut the curves out? With a bench jug saw or hand tools?

You also mentioned you glued all the hinges on, why was that you choice and not small wood screws? Will the glue hold up with use?

I see you also have some artist talent. Very nice.

Just wondering your thinking behind you construction method. Not implying anything else.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 16:07, wmhegbli wrote:
This really looks good. You should be proud of your accomplishment.

Can I ask how you cut the curves out? With a bench jug saw or hand tools?

You also mentioned you glued all the hinges on, why was that you choice and not small wood screws? Will the glue hold up with use?

I see you also have some artist talent. Very nice.

Just wondering your thinking behind you construction method. Not implying anything else.

The curve was cut with just a hand jig saw (not the best way).
The reason the hinges are glued on is the wood is very thin only 1/4 of a inch to cut down on the weight. I do think the hinges will hold up as all 4 of my Zig Zags were done this way. The long hinges on the inside 8 corners I don't think I could get off if I had to. Gorilla Glue is very strong , but it foams so it can be messy, I first screw on the hinge (with very long screws going through the wood)mark around the hinge and then take it off put a little glue on the wood with in the mark then a little glue on the back of the hinge and screw back on, when cured in a day I back out the screws and patch the holes in the wood.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......done.jpg
I got the grill done, a sheet of this cost $25.00 at LOWES. I cut this from a table I got a GoodWill for $5.00 yes I am on a budget.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is shaping up, looks like you used oak on the black painted part on top.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 17:14, wmhegbli wrote:

Exactly.. It looks like oak.

The surface on an illusion should be free from defects. Grain is a defect. Even natural wood should be smooth unless you are making RenFare props. Weather you are professional or amateur it is just a matter of sanding the primer, applying more primer/sealer and sanding again until no one can see the grain of the wood.

When you wheel that illusion on the stage is the little voice in the back of your head saying "This is the finest piece of equipment available" or is it saying "They will never know I made it myself. I can see all the defects but as long as I get paid, I'm happy".
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 13:30, jay leslie wrote:.... Even natural wood should be smooth ....

Like a baby's behind!! Smile
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 15:16, illusionman2 wrote:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......done.jpg
I got the grill done, a sheet of this cost $25.00 at LOWES. I cut this from a table I got a GoodWill for $5.00 yes I am on a budget.

More done and getting better. I can't wait to see the completed work.
illusionman2
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 13:30, jay leslie wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 17:14, wmhegbli wrote:

Exactly.. It looks like oak.

The surface on an illusion should be free from defects. Grain is a defect. Even natural wood should be smooth unless you are making RenFare props. Weather you are professional or amateur it is just a matter of sanding the primer, applying more primer/sealer and sanding again until no one can see the grain of the wood.

When you wheel that illusion on the stage is the little voice in the back of your head saying "This is the finest piece of equipment available" or is it saying "They will never know I made it myself. I can see all the defects but as long as I get paid, I'm happy".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not even got it to work yet; I still have the slides to put on and the sword to make. My little voice will be saying this is the best I can do, and yes I do see all the defects.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Illusionman, just remember - there's always someone nearby to poop on your parade. Regardless of how good a builder you become, there will always be someone better, but as long as you are doing what you love and you are improving your skills with every project, you are a success.

Buy the book, Professional Illusion Building for the Home Craftsman by Dick Gustafson. I think that Paul Osborne sells it. It is a great resource for folks like us.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Gustafsn gave the book rights to Abbott's Magic in Colon, Michigan. Contact them for the purchase of the book, Professional Illusion Building etc.

Tip or suggestion to the above statement, Oaks grain cannot be sanded away, they sell filler for Oak wood that is applied and sanded, then primed and painted. I just noted the Oak wood as that is an expensive wood and hard to work wigh and use on an Illusion. Usually Pine, Popular, and birch plywood woods are used.

I think your illusion is coming along very well.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Here is a source for the book:

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/profilbuilfo.html

Thanks,
Richard
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If you can't locate the book, please PM me. I bought the last of Dick's original copies several years ago, and I still have a few.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...