The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Coins for Charming Chinese Challenge (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Troy Hoosier sells them directly. He will be at the Magic Castle in two weeks lecturing. I bet if you contact him, he will bring some or sell them to you directly.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Lassen makes his own Miracle Enjoyment coin sets with ]. They are chinese style coins made from solid copper or brass with milled edges the diameter of American silver dollars. I've been practicing Troy's effect with these. I love 'em and if you want to get other gaffed coin sets from him, they will match the chinese coin in his other sets.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
Joe Mogar sells really nice coins for this effect. A friend of mine bought some from him at this weekends Blackpool Convention. They were £5 each (about $8). I don't know if they are the Sterling ones or not but they work really well for the trick. They are heavy enough and work silently.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Joe Mogar have excellent ones.
Try Henry Evans too!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I agree with wsduncan. I own the Royal coins from MJM and they work really well.

S. Patrick
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
I have a few things I'd like to share about this one. First, I believe it's beneficial to have very thin Chinese coins for this. Therefore, most of the Chinese coins magic stores sell won't fit the bill. I've tried and used almost all of the Chinese coins one can buy through a magic retailer, very few are of high quality in the first place.

Secondly, these coins... if you know how and where to look are super cheap and easy to find. Here's a few sites:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......81156877
http://www.enchantedcrystals.com/coins.html
http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=......&start=0

Last but not least, if you need regular Chinese coins (or your routine doesn't need a thin coin) that magic suppliers sell... I've compiled a list of almost all of the ones I have found at http://www.themagicianscoin.com

Hope that helps!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
I would agree eBay is a great place to find the coins you need. I bought some of the Feng Shui coins
mentioned above. There very thin and make a soft sound.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Thanks for the links Loren.

I have been working on this routine for about a month. I got my coin set and instruction booklet from Joshua Jay ($35.00). The booklet text is so small it's difficult to read and follow. The coins are 1 3/8" (38mm) in diameter, which makes them large enough to play to a larger audience.

If you're interested in this effect, a better way to go might be to buy the coins yourself, then buy Troy Hooser's DVD "Charming Chinese Challenge" ($29.95).

You end up spending about the same money, but get better instructions and bonus handlings.

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 10:16am
--------------------------------
A great place to store this effect is the "Real Man's Coin Purse". The coins fit great, and the purse has a holdout for the extra piece of business.

Very easy to get into the routine with this purse.
Sammy J. Teague
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
At a fabric store like JoAnn's you do not have to purchase the whole spool of ribbon, you can buy only what you need.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
At Walmart the whole spool is 89 cents for 10 yards of 1/4 inch ribbon. I find that with practice I go through a length of ribbon about once every two weeks.
Sammy J. Teague
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Although I have not done it for a while I used washers, then its not a coin trick! when table hopping you can where the coins or washers around your neck on the ribbon, great for pocket management!
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I have been using the Sterling coins for a couple of years and they work great! My question is, why do the coins have to be so thin? I see a lot of comments that they need to be thin....I would think this would work just as well with thicker coins?

What am I missing here?

thanks!

David
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 10:57, David French wrote:
I have been using the Sterling coins for a couple of years and they work great! My question is, why do the coins have to be so thin? I see a lot of comments that they need to be thin....I would think this would work just as well with thicker coins?

What am I missing here?

thanks!

David

When doing the first display where four coins appear as three, thicker coins are more detectable when rotating the stack.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
The coins that Marc DeSouza uses for his version on his DVD looked thick. I think he said they were real Chinese coins
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 10:57, David French wrote:

What am I missing here?

thanks!

David

I saw this first in Blackpool 2009 with Joshua Jay - and the coins are shown as two when there are three in the hand, the thinner the better for me...

tim
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
For those of you who live in New York City, go to Canal Street - actually just downtown side of it, by 1 block - which is Chinatown. There are a bunch of stores selling Chinese knicknacks. Actually, the stores with the coins are along Walker Street, between Centre and Baxter. Some of them sell large size replicas of Chinese coins - rather inexpensively (no more than $3 about a year ago, last time I bought some). You have to pick through a box filled with different coins of different styles and sizes, but you can usually find 4 that are identical. These are great - thin enough and larger than most available elsewhere but easy to handle, very easily seen in parlor setting.

I don't know why I'm giving this source away Smile It's a great source, though. Also, of course, that part of Canal Street is really nifty, in terms of the stores.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Some posts earlier mentioned Joe Mogar's chinese coins for this.
I was just at IMX2011 last week and bought some of the Mogar coins from Joe. They work great for this effect. They also have milled edges which come in handy for the last phase.
They are thin, they are smooth and they are worth considering.

I mentioned earlier that I use the Real Man's Coin Purse to hold this effect and ring in the something extra. The something extra rings in even easier with the Mogar coins than with the coins I got from Joshua Jay.

Cheers!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
If you're still looking for coins for this effect, Lance Pierce has some terrific coins ready, along with a superior "ribbon" and an upgraded handling. See http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#7 for all the details.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I have been using the coins Joshua Jay sells for the past 18 months and have been very pleased. They are quite thin which is a benefit and they are very easy to handle.