The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Color Changing Knives Advice Required (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 07:03, joseph wrote:

"Martinez, Daryl...

If you can find the knives, this is a great routine, and can be found on Daryl's
Fooler Dooler dvds....

and now in the great L&L series "World Greatest Magic by the World Greatest Magicians"

Quote:
On 2008-12-12 13:07, Pete Biro wrote:
...a fountain of information. I don' know how you do it.... My memory is fading, but I "think" a move of mine is in one of the later Tarbell volumes. It's the roll down. You have the CC Knife on you palm, crosswise, and by dropping the hand the knife rolls down toward you fingers. The thumb comes down on it stopping it. It goes so fast the opposite side color is not noticed.

Sorry if I missed your move in Tarbell. John Carney however uses it in his routine and I didn't miss it there.

My memory isn't bad, but years of studying with systematic notes taking helps. Knowing how an effect has been performed enables me to be sure that when the day will come for me to build my own routine, it will be somehow original, without having to reinvent the wheel.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
516 Posts

Profile of ekins
This is also a good reference for color changing knife information.

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magknife.htm

-Brian
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I saw that move on Carney's video also. I didn't know it was yours Pete.
It's a bit dicey. I've never tried it in front of anyone but ME so far.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Pete, I think your move is also in the Merrill book, toward the end in the "Bits and Pieces" chapter.
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Pete's move also works extremely well with the Dragster Hot Rod as there is much less to flash.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Lawrence,

Thanks SO much for the comprehensive listing -- what a resource you are.

I second the Steve Draun routine as worth considering. It has lots of visual moments, and good routining erases the various methods as you go. Also there's a surprise ending, instead of just a vanish or putting the knives away.

Cheers,
Jerry
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Frighteningly thorough as always, Lawrence. That bibliography is so nicely done that I almost hate to point out that there's one missing...

Tommy Wonder's "Toss and Turn" p. 59, Books of Wonder Vol.2.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
In the last Neale's book there is an interesting (and maybe shocking) idea on the changing knife.
It's a sort of an horror story. The knife makes sense and the colour of the knife too.
Not for children.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hello folks! I'm deeply disturbed by this thread, and Lawrence, I've some good news for you sir.....read what I am about to lay on y'all.

The Ascanio book has been cleaned up in translation and is now available at any magic shop worth its snuff. Complete, well written, and the instructions are clear and it is the best source, bar none, for the knives. It includes very good routines. If you want to learn or sharpen (ha!) your skills get this book as well as the new Ascanio material on cards.

There, I've saved the day.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Here is a video of my routine, The Intricate Web of Distraction:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3003789698051189660
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
That's such a fun routine to watch. I think its kind of a personality piece, though. Tough to imagine others doing it justice.

If you are still looking for sources, I just wanted to point out that Mogar's DVD stuff is the best. It covers virtually every move of substance from the earlier books. I've got a number of the earlier books and pamphlets, but Joe covered almost all the good stuff.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Mr Hayden for the clip, I actually have recntly purchased your DVD along Worlds Greatest Magic DVD. Both offer some great ideas, I especially like your flip over move on the Intricate Web DVD.

I have now started to put together a routine and am working out all the phases. I am really looking forward to getting it all together.

Many Thanks
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2009-01-04 12:26, organicmagician wrote:
That's such a fun routine to watch. I think its kind of a personality piece, though. Tough to imagine others doing it justice.

Actually, I don't think that isn't true at all. Artists as varied as Bob Sheets and Doc Eason have used my routine very effectively.

I have seen many other performers get great mileage out of it.

Why would you call it a personality piece?

I ask this because I hear this quite often from time to time about this and other routines of mine like the Four Ring Routine--that they are "personality pieces" that work because of my character and presentation. But many successful performers have gotten great mileage out of them using the same words with completely different characters.

Brian Gillis, Doug Anderson, and Roger Klause among others have used my ring routine for years with completely different personalities and characters and they have gotten great reactions.

I have used more than one character through the years with all these routines, and they still work well. Whit Haydn and Pop Haydn are very different characters and personalities, but the routines are word the word the same when they are performed.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Hey Just and FYI regarding the ccn's

I made the mistake of having them in my close up case. There went my $100 set of mogars.

Remember to remove them from your carryon when you travel.

I learned the hard way.
Max
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yikes... wouldn't they let you go back and send them as checked? That's something possible. You might have asked a supervisor to assist, then to the trick and get them back.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Hey Pete,

I did get them to send them checked. However, they never made it for some mysterious reason.

:(
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I have posted an older version of my Intricate Web of Distraction routine and of my Linking Rings.

You can compare the Whit Haydn character of the 1990's with Pop Haydn today. The routines are identical. Only the character I am playing has changed:

Intricate Web:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9196395969271606240

Linking Rings:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7068961231209917581

The routines are not really dependent on any specific character or personality. They can be presented in many different ways without changing a line.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Very good of you to post that Whit, thank you.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2009-01-04 18:55, Whit Haydn wrote:

Why would you call it a personality piece?

I ask this because I hear this quite often from time to time about this and other routines of mine like the Four Ring Routine--that they are "personality pieces" that work because of my character and presentation. But many successful performers have gotten great mileage out of them using the same words with completely different characters.

Hello Mr. Hadyn -

Thank you so much for sharing the videos. Both characters are very entertaining!

Pop Hadyn’s 'Southern Gentleman meets Charming Cheat' character is so wonderfully portrayed that perhaps those who would consider performing these routines feel that they couldn't quite do them justice. Could it be that your portrayal of the character is so seamlessly integrated with the actual mechanics of the routine that the two are appear almost inseparable? (Which is a wonderful compliment as well as a tribute to your skills as an actor!) If so, this may the reason that some are labeling your routines as personality pieces.

IMO, regardless of the routines performed, we should work to inject them with our own personality rather than attempting to impersonate the originator. This is what the successful performers you mentioned have done and why they garner great reactions with your routines.

Thanks again for sharing your work!
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2009-01-04 12:26, organicmagician wrote:

While I'll leave it to others to determine whether or not I do it justice, "The Intricate Web of Distraction" is the CCN routine that I perform, and my character has a very different personality from that of Pop...or Whit, for that matter.

I've been doing the knives for more than 30 years, and for a very long time I used a variation of a Jose de la Torre routine. It served me well, but the moment I saw TIWOD--and discovered that Whit had made it available for others to perform--I knew I had found the perfect routine for me. Other than a few minor changes in the script that I made to support my character, I perform the routine exactly as outlined by Whit; e.g., I tell the audience that the knife originally belonged to my late grandfather, and according to him it was a Scot who invented the folding penknife; whereas Whit credits Thomas Jefferson as being the inventor (each of us is telling a falsehood Smile ).

I'm seriously considering changing the name of my fictional grandfather from "Harrison Chayce" to "Whitney Chayce" in homage to Whit.