The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Which L&L DVD sets to choose? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Wait another month or two, they'll have another big sale; they seem to be running that way now.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5181 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Bill Malone. Bill Malone. Bill Malone.
Great, great stuff. I never understood how good Bill is until I saw these DVDs. I had heard that he had perfected his chops to the point of effortlessness, but you can't really appreciate his moves until you watch them broken down in his explanations. He is one to admire.

There is a lot of magic on this set, and not just cards. Plus, he spreads the skill level around on each disk so there is something for everyone.

Bill will bust you up with his humor, blow you away with his skill, then educate you with some industry insights that can bump your act up a notch or two.

Recommended.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
fmpilot
View Profile
Loyal user
of a fence with
245 Posts

Profile of fmpilot
Thank you all for your input! I went with Bill Malone's On the Loose as my second set. I have never seen him perform and it sounds like I'm in for a treat.
"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Quote:
On 2008-09-06 05:50, fmpilot wrote:
Thank you all for your input! I went with Bill Malone's On the Loose as my second set. I have never seen him perform and it sounds like I'm in for a treat.

Good choice. I think, for what you do, this was the best route to go. I love Osterlind's DVDs but I do mentalism. Unless you want to get involved in mentalism stick to the magic stuff. Bill Malone is an awesome entertainer as well as teacher. All good stuff. I'm sure you'll be satisfied.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 10:06, Josh Chaikin wrote:
Wait another month or two, they'll have another big sale; they seem to be running that way now.
That might be a risky gamble, what with the holiday season fast approaching.
Zenmagic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Zenmagic
I must agree with Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries DVD series being the best. All the stuffs inside are killer. Personally I think the Osterlind's metal bending techniques and his "breakthrough card system" are worth the price of DVDs alone.
JohnJames
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of JohnJames
Hi

is their offer still on?

Cheers

John
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Its been over since September 1st
fmpilot
View Profile
Loyal user
of a fence with
245 Posts

Profile of fmpilot
I have to thank all of you for your help. I got my order on Monday and the Malone set is just what I wanted! What a great deal!
"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
633 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Just thought I would ask for opinions on those who have seen these, of the following L&L sets, which one would you choose and why?

Banacheck PSI Series 1-4
Aronson Sessions Series 1-3
Al Schneider Technique 1-4
Steve Draun 1-3

I'm trying to pick two sets and I'm thinking the Aronson and Banacheck series but I'd love to get your thoughts. For reference, some of my favorite L&L sets are Malone's 'On the Loose', Osterlind's MM and ETMMM series, Ammar's ETMCM and Tommy Wonder's set, so it's pretty varied. But I'm just looking for some extra recommendations. I also have Aronson's Simply Simon and Try the Impossible books along with Secrets Draun from the Underground so I don't know if that should be a factor. L&L is running a nice sale so now is a good time to pick some other stuff up. Thanks!
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On 2011-12-11 00:16, RobertP wrote:
Just thought I would ask for opinions on those who have seen these, of the following L&L sets, which one would you choose and why?

Banacheck PSI Series 1-4
Aronson Sessions Series 1-3
Al Schneider Technique 1-4
Steve Draun 1-3

I'm trying to pick two sets and I'm thinking the Aronson and Banacheck series but I'd love to get your thoughts. For reference, some of my favorite L&L sets are Malone's 'On the Loose', Osterlind's MM and ETMMM series, Ammar's ETMCM and Tommy Wonder's set, so it's pretty varied. But I'm just looking for some extra recommendations. I also have Aronson's Simply Simon and Try the Impossible books along with Secrets Draun from the Underground so I don't know if that should be a factor. L&L is running a nice sale so now is a good time to pick some other stuff up. Thanks!

I picked up the Aronson set and was a bit disappointed when two of the effects on the first DVD required gaff cards that are NOT included. I ordered a set of gaff cards from Aronson for $10.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
633 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Was it just two effects from the entire set (and not just the first DVD) that required gaffs? Also, what did you think of the set as a whole?

Thanks!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
I have both the Draun and Schnieder sets, there excellent. Steve and Al are very good teachers. In addition to a ton of great magic, you'll also get some excellent theory from the Schnieder set.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
633 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Thanks, motown. Ended up getting the Aronson and Schneider sets, in the future I will be on the lookout for Steve Draun's set.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Robert,

I have a couple of the Aronson DVDs and am very happy with them.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
I own the Osterlind MM, Malone, and Elmsley DVDs you mention.

The Malone DVDs are among the best magic DVDs ever made in my opinion. From vol 1, I perform (in my regular shows) Sam the Bellhop (which took me three months to learn) and Slydini Silks, which is a hit in my stand-up and close-up shows. I also do Mike Skinner's 3-card monte in vol 1, but I was doing that before I got the Malone DVDs. One reason why Malone's DVDs are great is that they show well-honed, professional routines that Malone has been doing regularly for many years. These are not tricks constructed just to make videos. From vol 2, I do the bill-in-lemon, which is the closer for one of my stand-up acts. It's funny.

From Osterlind's DVDs, I regularly perform his Radar Deck, which I consider one of the most powerful and direct mental routines published. It is amazing. Like Malone's stuff, this is an effect that has been in Osterlind's shows for many years. I also am considering doing his torn and restored newspaper, which is very convincing.

I have not done anything from Elemsley's DVD, although I have done his Four-Card Trick since 1960--the trick in which he introduced the now famous Elmsley Count. Frankly, Elmsley's quiet style does not suit my own, as I aspire to generate fun the way Malone does--he's great. Similarly, for the Radar Deck, I do not do it with as much seriousness as Osterlind does, although I think Osterlind's routine is excellent and very smooth. He has an engaging and friendly way with his audiences.

Your alternative choices are excellent ones, but I lean toward the two Malone series from L&L. You cannot go wrong. Take a look at the examples on You Tube of both the Malone and Osterlind effects. These largely are drawn from the L&L DVDs themselves. Finally, the quality of the camera work, performances, and explanations from L&L are the best in the industry. You will be pleased.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
If you want something different, check out the Pendragons dvd set. This set is packed with great information on performing,magic history and they tip most of there illusions. Jonathan Pendragon is a fascinating magician.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Dai Vernon's Revelations set. There is so much to golden information.

Clarke
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
I agree with previous posts. Malone is top notch.

After seeing his lecture, and live performances here in Las Vegas, my favorite is Michael Finney.

An absolute master, with great audience participation, and lots of laughter.

You won't regret it, it's the best
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Osterlind for sure.....