The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Dan Tong Live (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Kozmo,

In my overzealousness to support Dan's DVD, I now realize I hi-jacked your thread. My apologies. That was not my intention.

My Bad,

Don
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5478 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
No issues AT ALL love dan and want him to do great...
Callisto
View Profile
New user
France
66 Posts

Profile of Callisto
Is it only a Peformance DVD, or is there explanations also ??
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Callisto, the egg bag and hat tear are performance only. All the rest are performance and explanations.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2008-08-30 06:18, drmagic wrote:
For those who wish to support the artist direct - Dan is offering a pre-release special for his Dan Tong LIVE DVD. Includes free shipping and a bonus gift. Expected shipping date is mid-September.

Just ordered mine. Here's the link: http://www.magicbypauline.com/dantonglive.html

I just spoke with Dan Tong and the DVDs arrived today.
He is including something special with each order as well.

http://www.magicbypauline.com/dantonglive.html
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5478 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I know its my product but this is just killer stand up material...buy this from whom ever you choose.....dan is a great guy and it wont hurt my feelings if you get it from him

koz
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Koz:

You are one of a kind! Smile

Tony
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Is this a stage or parlor act Dan does on these DVD's?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5478 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Parlor
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
TOO COOL! I think this is going to be a huge hit.

Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
No one seems to have bought it and watched it yet...
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Isn't it still on pre-order?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

It just arrived from the replicators yesterday. I've been told my copy is in the mail, and on the way.

Tony
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5478 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
All pre-orders HAVE BEEN SHIPPED!!!!! some should have this very soon

koz
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

The DVD arrived today and it is fantastic!

Dan Tong is the consummate showman and each piece performed is strong and fits him. Some are treated as casual pieces done as he converses with the audience, tells jokes and stories, and what happens comes out of the blue. Others are like a hand grenade, you see it coming, but are not prepared for the explosion that hits you when it arrives. It is a wonderful selection of material, allowing for a nice pacing, lull them in, nail them, get to know them and them you, then nail them as you close.

Here I will discuss the bulk of the material, but I am not going to discuss all aspects of everything, I don;t want to give anything away I shouldn't.

The Act:

The JIMMY RAY PAPER TEAR, this one lures them in, allows the performer to personalize the routine very easily and have fun with the audience, then blow them away with a flash restoration. This is well worth the purchase price of the DVD just by itself. All aspects of preparation, care, and performance are detailed.

EGG BAG, although not explained on this DVD (it was on his previous set) you get to see a stage presentation and a lot of bits of business and spectator management and handling.

5 CARD MENTAL TEST, the cleanest version of this effect I’ve come across. 5 jumbo ESP cards are shown and explained, there is a glass with a prediction on the table. The audience chooses which cards to eliminate, no funny business, the ones they call =out are removed, and all cards remain visible at all times. When all but one is eliminated, the prediction is seen to match the remaining card. Lots of extra bits of business on handling and presentational ideas are provided.

ROPE ROUTINE, This has to been seen, I won’t give any of this away except to say it is essentially an act in itself.

BILL TO WALLET, a wonderful routine, on par with Terry Seabrooke’s routine. Wonderful performance piece, all aspects are detailed with extra bits of business of the props both in performance and outside of performance. Essential tips for any performer on top of a top rated performance classic.

Bonus Material:

LINKING PAPER RINGS, a wonderful piece of magic that comes out of the blue. Dan uses this as what seems like byplay while he talks to the audience, and then it hits them.

4TH EYE, this is the one piece I wish Dan Tong had not released, for personal and jealous reasons. A deck of Jumbo ESP cards is handed out to the audience several people shuffle and mix the cards to their hearts content, these are collected by another audience member who takes them on stage, he takes a group of cards, and Dan is able to reveal each card he is holding with a few extra wonderful performance moments. This can be done essentially hands off with any type of cards. I first saw Dan do a version of this many years ago with playing cards.

REVISED BIG SURPRISE, a different take on the burnt banknote theme. A hands-off conclusion where the bill ends up in an impossible location out in the audience that he had not approached since the beginning of the show. A wonderful closer, tying the whole act together with an impossible ending.
Outside of the magic that is taught (with every detail explained) and the tips on performance of the material and preparedness for the performer, there is Dan’s presentations and audience handling. There is a lot one can learn from this DVD, and not just the magic.

The DVD itself is structured so that the first act is the main material for the DVD, what is listed as Bonus Material is the second act, and it is all explained. The menuing is standard (no fancy remote handling required to watch the show, you can see the entire act as it played in reality), and the filming is very good and clear. A fine example of Koz’s excellent work. This is an excellent product and should considered by performers doing parlor or stage magic and or mentalism. I found it outstanding!

I ordered mine from Dan Tong and because of that received an extra in the package. I won’t spoil the surprise here for others who ordered from Dan, but this is most welcome.

Tony Iacoviello
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3107 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thanks Tony for taking the time to post the review!
I ordered this DVD as well and your review heightens the anticipation level.
DP
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I saw Dan Tong lecture in Atlanta in August. If the lecture is any indication of the DVD, it's really high quality. (Though most of the material he covered isn't on this DVD). It will be going on my wish list.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tony Iacoviello beat me to it and it's just as well as he did a better job than I could reviewing it.

I ordered mine direct from Dan. It was here in two days and he included the something extra that I was thrilled to see in the package.

The material is wonderful ( he got me with that darn rope routine ) and some of the material I was surprised to see as many professionals use them in their shows.

A BIG thanks to Kozmo for bringing us more of Dan's wonderful magic.

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5478 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
We have another dvd of dans in the can...close-up material....ealy next year I would guess

koz
immr1drfl
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of immr1drfl
Keep them coming Dan and Koz!