The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: The Secret Life of Houdini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I had read somewhere that he use to show up at the scene of an accident or fire (stuff like that) and he would say something to the effect "I'm Houdini! Is there anything I can do to help??" Naturally the next day the headlines would read 'HOUDINI AT SCENE OF FIRE' LOL

By hook or by crook...
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
That's new one on me.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Quote:
Remember, Houdini did not write all of the things that were submitted with his name on them. He may have written some of them, but he had a professional writer who worked for him as his "scribe." That was Walter B. Gibson. He may have had another one earlier than that.
Any case we can not realize who was that "famous Russians". Smile
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Probably not.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I enjoyed the book. Having majored in history, and volunteered as a historian for several non-profits, I can tell you that precious little of it is unquestionable.
None of us were there and in retelling it is usually exaggerated. That's just the way it is.
The fun of reading this kind of book, as well as a book like 'Carter beats the devil' is mostly the atmosphere. You get a sense of what it feels like to stand next to the greats. Little tidbits of their personalities.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
I have this too, will read it in the next couple of months.
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
On a related topic I just got 'The Magician and the Cardsharp' Which is about Dai Vernon. I am halfway through and I recommend it to EVERYONE!
Read it, you will love it, I promise.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I am reading "The Magician and the Cardsharp" right now and I wouldn't go as far to say "you will love it." My office is lined with books on magic, performers, and performing. I love to read. That being said I find "Magician and Cardsharp" to be droll at times. Only when they are doing massive historical background of a town to put you in the era. I can appreciate it on some levels but find it boorish on others. I haven't hit the meat of it yet so I hope to change my opinion soon.

I enjoyed the "Secret Life of HH" very much. I don't think it was written for the scholars on this site but for the average Joe. I feel sad that the scholars on here are being so critical of a book that brings attention to the magic community from laymen. See it for what it is. A captivating book. Not slow in the slightest. Look how the movies have portrayed him for Pete's sake.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-08-23 15:28, critter wrote:
I enjoyed the book. Having majored in history, and volunteered as a historian for several non-profits, I can tell you that precious little of it is unquestionable.
None of us were there and in retelling it is usually exaggerated. That's just the way it is.
The fun of reading this kind of book, as well as a book like 'Carter beats the devil' is mostly the atmosphere. You get a sense of what it feels like to stand next to the greats. Little tidbits of their personalities.

This is largely true. It has often been said that "history is written by the victors." But people seldom realize that it is often rewritten by the survivors of the losers. History is seldom written from an unbiased perspective. In a way, history, and its cousin, archaeology, is written by people who have an axe to grind.

You find people with one point of view stating that certain Egyptian paintings prove that the early Egyptians had wings which were later removed and destroyed by conquering hordes that enslaved them. That is, of course, an extreme example, but it is reportedly being taught in some schools.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
One should also consider the authors
Bill Kalush is an extremely knowledgeable and serious historian on American history (and on a few other topics as well). He is also a magician of the highest technical level and part of David Blaine's success owes to his knowledge. Bill is also an important and serious magic books collector who knows what the books contain.

Let's not any prejudice concerning Houdini blind us from what serious scholar reveal to us. I trust Bill Kalush seriousness and depth of knowledge 100% (and there are not many magicians that I would trust as much apart from Bill Palmer, Pete Biro, Clay Shevlin, Jim Steinmeyer...)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
FYI, "Secret Life" is currently available as a 2 book set -- the initial edition (October 2006) and a companion volume "Houdini Laid Bare" consisting of the sources, notes and additional material used in the preparing "Secret Life." I would strongly recommend the complete set for anyone with a serious interest in the subject.
Dick Christian
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Just saw a set on Ebay sell for $47.00. At that price it's worth it.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
To be fair, if I am remembering correctly, the book itself admits that the business his doing spy work is largely conjecture based on circumstantial evidence. It would certainly help explain the State Department issuing him a fictitious passport with the existence of a valid and factually correct one not withstanding. While it is not conclusive proof, it certainly lends itself to the conjecture.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
I just saw this at a used book store. Perhaps I will stop back by and pick it up.
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
On page 105 under photo of Elliot and Downs I read "James William Elliot, Houdini's longtime enemy..." Hm. When Elliot was enemy of Houdini? What I miss? Inside of book I do not find explanation.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
What I'm about to say is partially conjecture, but it's logical. If you note what has been written in the margin of that photo, under Elliot's photo, it says "King of Kards." Think about the Houdini poster with the manipulating hands on it that is titled "Houdini -- King of Kards." That may be the origins of the dispute.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Houdini's poster used "King Of Cards". Circa 1895. Downs used "King Of Koins" on some of his posters. The photo looks-like it's from the 1900's. Houdini had moved on from card ticks by then.

There was some fallout with Elliott's father with Houdini from what I hear. Houdini published and edited the book after Elliott's death. I think the father approached Houdini to get his son's book book published. When it was published, Houdini's name was just as large as Elliott's name on the cover. I think the father took it badly when he saw it.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Hmm. May be my knowledge not high. I supposed that "enemy" and "rival" different words. But if there are meaning for enemy like "opponent" then idea can be work...

About "Last Legacy". I hear it was Bergess who suggest publishing book...

I do not know is it interesting. Lebedoeff looks like famous Russian name Lebedev.
Russian Police - not Okhrana but Okhranka. This is short abuse name for Okhrannoye Otdelenie (Security Departmant).
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

From here, enemy is one you would kill. A rival is one who you would copmpete with.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Thanks mr. Connolly. I have same information. So I can not understand why on book Mr. Elliot was called like enemy of Houdini. On my opinion titles "King of Cards" and "Champion of Card Manipulations" not made peoples enemy. So, if somebody have more information I will be happy.

If somebody still interesting opinion of Russian about correctness of Russian names inside this brilliand book: Matronushka Bosoposhka should be Matriona-Bosonozhka.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co......rena.jpg

And Volshebnic - magician, Miracle man - Charodeynik.