The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Curtis Kam's Palms of steel 4: Cashablanca (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I saw Curtis lecture on this material several years back, and I have also had the chance to see a preview of the DVD. If you are fans of the prior Palms videos, you will definately want this! Curtis has some really good stuff on this including a very practical coins across with just three coins.
Click to visit:
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks for the kind words Dan. Smile

BTW, the DVD is officially in route from the manufacturer to The Magic Bakery and to our distributor Murphy's Magic Supplies. We expect to see the discs arrive tomorrow morning - at which time we will begin shipping all pre-orders. Dealers worldwide should begin selling them over the next few days. FYI. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Here's the hot poop, the inside skinny, the dope: I just got a few crispy new Cashablancas with all of your names on them, they just don't know it yet. Drop by ckhmagic.com and as soon as Kainoa puts up the Paypal button of steamy desire, shoot me the loot and I'll give them their letters of transit.

And if that ain't enough, a funny thing happened the other day. In the middle of working a gig, I came up with a brand spankin' new presentation for coins across. It's the one I've been looking for, and the one I'm doing professionally right now. The handling is pretty much the same as Cashablanca Coins Across with a few small but mighty changes that make a big difference. Like in the movie, the script's the thing. So here's what I'm gonna do--order the disc thru the website, and I'll throw in the new script and handling for free. It's a text-only writeup, but like I said, the moves are 95% on the disc.

So that's the deal, the downside is you gotta wait until the button is primed and ready. Check the site. Thanks.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
My, you're up early. Come to think of it, so am I. Getting ready to get on line for the new IPHONE. I'll keep checking your site.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Well, still no IPhone - they're out of black! - but I was able to ease my grief by ordering Cashablanca, which is now available at ckhmagic.com.

Looking forward to it, Curtis.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Play it again Kam!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Dan is right, the PayPal button is hot and ready. The discs and the new routine are standing on the tarmac and about to get on the plane. Get your order in now, while they're still ahead of the local authorities.

"I'm shocked. Shocked to discover that there's coin magic going on here."

"Your Triple Threat, sir."

"Thank you."
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Dan,

I know you are really going to enjoy this DVD. Smile
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Curtis, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Steve, as usual, is correct. "Cashablanca" showed up today and I just finished playing the performance only parts of it. There was great rejoicing.

It was also good seeing my friend Reed again. We live in the same town - at least I think we still do - but, sigh, he never calls.

There's enough on this disc to satisfy most tastes - from table work to working in front of your nose. It also came with an excellent script for coins across, one I'm planning on using.

For me this DVD is most welcome. I've been laboring over a card move of late - yeah, that one!! - that has me crying like a little girl. I need some therapeutic coin work.

And I still don't have an IPhone.

Thanks Curtis. And Reed. And Steve. Great work as usual.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone that has Cashablanca care to do an effect by effect review?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I'll give you my impressions of it. Naturally I think the DVD is excellent and clear in explanation - but here's some detail on the contents.

Ilsa's Appearance (The Three Coin Production)

A practical way to get into any coin routine with the sudden appearance of three coins in a fan after the hands have been shown - subtlety - to be empty. I like the simplicity of this. Three coins appear all at once at the fingertips in a fan. No wasted movements. And there's enough throw offs to keep even the most astute laymen and probably some magicians scratching their heads. I suspect this one will be very popular for magicians who work in the real world. It's done at chest level. No table required.

The Greatest ($3) Show On Earth

Whew! I was exhausted after just watching this one. Get it working and you won't have to do any other coin routine. In fact, it could wind up being the one routine you do when you only have time for one.

You need a table for part of this but only enough space to put your coin purse on. Three coins and the purse are introduced. A quick coins across is performed, followed by a "two in the hand, one in the pocket" ending with a coins under the purse with a nifty kicker - And no jumbo coin, thank God!

This is all done to a tongue in cheek patter with a circus theme. Normally I'm not fond of that kind of patter but Curtis makes it work and with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek, I think you can too in any setting.
Did I mention it's also a stone fooler?

Cashablanca Coins Across

Curtis got me on the last coin in this routine. This is another good, real world effect. No table required. Just three coins. You could do it naked but unless you're Jessica Alba, refrain from that.

Once the applause has subsided from your three coin production you can go right into this three coin across routine, simple and direct in construction but sophisticated enough to keep even the most jaded of coin workers interested. I think this is another one that will score big with workers. Doesn't appear to be terribly difficult.

Play It Again Kam (Another Hard Way/Excellent Birds)

Oh boy. I swear, Reed McClintock won't be happy until he figures out a way to classic palm the Denver Mint.

This routine begins with a coin production inspired by Reed's Seven the Hard Way. Yeah, there's a butt load of coins involved. Curtis does make it a bit easier for us mere mortals though.

Smoothly following is Curtis's Flying Eagles - his version cleans up a lot of confusion with the original - and ends with a kicker courtesy, I believe, of Eddie Fector and Kainoa Harbottle.
You'll need a table for this one, which as Curtis points out, isn't as easy to come by as it used to be. Restaurant tables are smaller and you usually don't drag a table around in stroll around. But for the right situation, this one will kill. Wanna' practice? Alot? This one's for you.

Triple Alliance 2.0 (Copper, Silver, Brass Handling)

If you're doing Scotty York's, Geoff Latta's and/or Curtis Kam's Copper, Silver, Brass routine, this is an ending you can add right away. And I think you will. Basically the copper and brass coins are trapped in the purse, the silver is in the hand. Then the copper and brass magically appear in the hand and the silver is in the purse.

This one has a more intimate feel to it than the others. The hands are held at waist level, palms up. Getting the hands coordinated with each other is the key here. No table required.

Reed McClintock's International Solid Threefly

This one is commercially available - I have a set of the gaffs - but Reed shows you how to make your own. It can be made in minutes. You may have to run out to your local magic shop to get the coins needed unless you're like me and have a drawer filled with them. And as Reed points out you can do this with just silver coins.

It is, as the title tells, a super clean International Three Fly routine.
It's gaffed to the hilt and a tricky point will be you showing enough of the
coin(s) to the spectators. When you see this, you'll know what I mean. Once you have that solved - not a big problem - you'll floor the crowd since there's no explanation for how it's done. It really is that clean and magical. And Reed gives you a suggestion from Curtis which makes getting into this routine easy peezy.

There's also outakes which I haven't watched yet. It's 12:45 PM and I'm tuckered out so please forgive any typos. I hope I've done this DVD justice. It deserves serious attention.

Later,

D.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Sorry. It's 12:45 AM. Told you I was tired.
D
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Don't worry, you can skip the outtakes. Who wants to see a guy screw up?

Thanks very much for your thoughts, Dan, I appreciate the feedback.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
733 Posts

Profile of ftlum
What a great DVD! Fantastic magic again by Mr. Kam. I thought it was particularly helpful to see what some of the edge-grip work should look like. I never knew that a retention to edge grip could be done so quickly and look so good. The coins across is one of the best no-extra/no gaff ones I've seen. Unlike Mr. Clean Coins Across (which I love) you don't have the (low) angle restrictions Smile. Plus, you can do it with Morgans. This is definitely one I'm going to be working on.

With regards to the out-takes, I would have liked to see how Curtis would have handled things in front of a real audience. I don't think that sort of thing is covered anywhere very well; it would actually be valuable to see how a pro handles such miscues.

My only minor quibble is that the backgrounds are rather distracting. Sorry, Mr. Brooks, but it's kind of hard on the eyes. If you're shooting in front of a green screen and generating them post-production, you may want to tone them down for your future releases.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Another aspect of this DVD that is worth noting: There's quite a lot of information given. These are routines, not just single effects. Much is happening and a majority of it is state of the art coin work. The inclosing steal, for example, is a move that appeared in one of Curtis's earlier notes. I believe he also featured it in his Castle lecture, which I missed. I was happy to actually see it.
This move alone has many applications outside the three coin routine he features it in. Tricky timing but worth the work.
So you're getting a lot of bang for your buck here.
Later,
D
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1695 Posts

Profile of mystre71
There's not a lot to add at this point. The routines are excellent as you would expect from Curtis. I am sorry to see he included the "Inclosing steal" I've been using this move for years now, in all sorts of routines/ways. Thanks a lot Curtis Smile

I also would like to say the production and editing was excellent as well. The clips between each routine took me back to the days of watching a Dave Williams VHS tape. So, you're not only getting a lot of great routines but an entertaining DVD as well.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1695 Posts

Profile of mystre71
BTW, if you're one of the few that havn't placed an order yet. Do yourself a favor and order directly from Curtis and, get the new version of Cashablanca coins aross "Gateway to China" (text format).This is the version you'll want to do.You can only get these from Curtis. While you're there, ask about his new set of notes "The StageCoach.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
I picked up my copy at the local magic shop. I popped it in the DVD player right then and there and watched it. It was as good as I anticipated. I can only echo all the accolades from the previous posts.

If you take mystre71's advice and order it directly from Curtis do yourself a favor and pick up a set of his notes. You'll soon be back to buy them all!
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
This would be a much better DVD if every routine ended with a jumbo coin.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Tom - glad you enjoyed the DVD, good stuff awaits for those brave few. Smile

By the way - you're a very funny guy Doug.