The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: 1 Deck... 14 Tricks... 24 Hours - The New Matthew Dowden Project (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I also think there's some over-reaction here. The "24 hour" or "48 hour" thing is a bit of a marketing hook, not just for magic but for many things. There is a 48-hour theater festival and a 48-hour film series -- plays and films made in that allotted time. Nobody is saying that that's the way plays or films should be produced -- it's just a hook to get people interested, and it's also a concept that enforces a specific creative limitation (time). With regards to these disks, I think what the title is just saying is that these are simple effects that can be learned quickly.
Martin Duffy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Martin Duffy
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 23:45, Cameron Francis wrote:
Walter,Tony and ASW, I don't own this or Party Animal, but watch the demos for both. Michael is clearly not an amatuer nor a bad magician. In fact it would appear that he is excellent at what he does! That is why I think this project might be interesting.

Yeah..but what about Matthew...??
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
415 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
I have to admit I was a little intrigued when I first read about these DVD's as I wasn't sure who they were being marketted at.

On first read it would appear to be the beginner looking for some easy to master card miracles (to borrow a phrase) that they can go out and impress with without having to master tooo many sleights. That in iteself is a pretty good market.

However having read this thread it has convinced me it will be a worthwhile set in my own personal collection.

As others have stated - Matthew is definietely no amateur. That is obvious from the Party Animal DVD - a DVD that I not only love, but one which I have taken and now use several of the effects in my own professional repetorie.

The one thing that came across from the Party Animal DVD and I am hoping this new set will do the same is the performance aspect. I have always thought that there is as much to learn from this as there is in learning new sleights and effects. Of course if I add a few "killer" card tricks at the same time then that is a bonus.

For a long time L&L dvd's has been the benchmark for teaching magic in electronic format. However it has been commented on many times about the reactions of the L&L audiences. At least with Matt's DVD's you know what you see is what you get. You see him handling - sometimes difficult crowds. You KNOW he is performing in a real world environment and from that you KNOW this guy is a full time professional magican, that isn't just skilled at what he does. He loves it too.

I would love to see much more of this type of DVD. Seriously Russ. Well done.

I do understand where the likes of Tony Iacoviello is coming from (a guy incidently who I have the utmost respect for). It does indeed sound very unprofessional to want to learn a trick in 24 hours and then perform it for a paid audience. In fact it sounds like you are getting your audience to pay for your practice time. Which is obviously a big no no.

In my own opinion though this isn't what is happening here. I am pretty sure that as a proffesional Matthew has his own repetoire of effects that he performs day in and day out, and I am sure that to add something new means taking something out - something that I am sure he would think very carefully about.

I believe the fact that a professional magician could learn 14 new tricks in 24 hours and then perform them comfortably (how well they are performed I can not yet comment on as I havent seen the dvd's yet) is merely showing how relatively easy they are, and perhaps how skillful Matthew is at putting together his patter. I loved watching Matthew perform on Party Animal, and for that reason I will be buying these dvd's.

When I do so. I promise to write a full and unbiased* review.

* Well as unbiased as I can be - considering I have now just booked him to perform some close-up magic at the Ipswich Magical Society convention on Sunday 21st Oct 2007 (in Ipswich funnily enough).

http://www.ipswichmagicalsociety.co.uk/eveconv2007.htm

So if you want to meet Matthew - and see him perform some of his close up live. Why not visit us that day. I know this is turning into an advert now, but we have some great acs there that day, including Juliana Chen, Chris Power, Graham P. Jolley and Michael J. Fitch to name just a few.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I meant Matthew! Sorry about that! Smile
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Sounds like a challenge . . . will probably pass this as I hate to fail
Cards never lie
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I don't think the challenge is for the viewer. I think that was Matthew's challenge. I think the idea is that just because these tricks are self working and easy to do does not mean they are not powerful if presented in a fun, engaging way. Although, I'm just speculating as I don't know much about the project.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 21:29, Martin Duffy wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 11:44, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 10:34, Cameron Francis wrote:
Sounds like a fun challenge.

Yes it does, but it does not sound like a product worth buying. The ad copy makes it sound like amature hour (or is that day?).

Tony Iacoviello

Tony
I think you are missing the point of the DVD

Perhaps I am missing the point of the DVD set and won't say anything else other than the ad copy informed my statements, much like the similar marketing ploys aimed at the amateur at Ellusionist (watch these today kids and go out and perform them tonight, the instant magician).

I do own Party Animal and found it interesting. Most of the material was very strong, the techniques in majority were very well executed; the thinking behind them, excellent, and the presentation was befitting the environment the performances took place in. I also own 2 of Russ’s DVD sets and found them well done in production, material, excellent value and products. I have commented on them in other threads.

Tony Iacoviello
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Tony,

I do think that you jumped the gun slightly and to suggest that the DVD set seemed like "Amateur Hour" probably upset people that like Matthew and his work. If you have a few of my products already, hopefully you'll know that I really do love magic and have been performing it rather succesfully for over thirty years myself.

Both Matthew and myself wouldn't want to release a product unless we really believed that it was a worthwhile purchase for both the beginner and professional. There is much to learn for both types of performers on these DVDs and I think Matthew proves that with a little thought and practise, you can amaze the most cynical audience.

Best,
Russ
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Russ:

I said, "The ad copy makes it sound like amature hour (or is that day?)."
Key words, "ad copy" and "makes it sound like"

Quote:
... with a little thought and practise, you can amaze the most cynical audience.

I agree with this 100%. It is just with the concept of creating 14 items (or just learning 14 items) and performing them within the same 24 hour period, how much "thinking" and "practicing" can there be?

Best wishes,
Tony
Martin Duffy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Martin Duffy
Tony
What "specifically" it is about the ad copy that sounds like amateur hour...or day!!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-09-29 17:02, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Russ:

I said, "The ad copy makes it sound like amature hour (or is that day?)."
Key words, "ad copy" and "makes it sound like"

Quote:
... with a little thought and practise, you can amaze the most cynical audience.

I agree with this 100%. It is just with the concept of creating 14 items (or just learning 14 items) and performing them within the same 24 hour period, how much "thinking" and "practicing" can there be?

Best wishes,
Tony

Martin, my answer is above and Russ appears to agree with it. Other points on the ad have already been made and I do not want to continue this, they are available in green and white. Based on the The Mel Mellers DVD Project and the Mark Raffles DVDs, in my opinion, this will be well filmed and put together very well.

Tony Iacoviello
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Since this forum is for DVD reviews, it would be great to have comments from those who have actually viewed the DVD. Mathew is a consummate performer and creator. His Party Animal DVDs are top notch and I'm sure this new DVD will achieve its purpose for its intended audience.

John
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Like your comment John? Smile

From what I understand, it will be released next week (October 3rd).
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Quote:
On 2007-09-27 21:55, russ stevens wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I Just thought I'd let you know about our latest 2 DVD project with Matthew J. Dowden entitled 1 Deck... 14 Tricks... 24 Hours. Shot out and about in london, all of the tricks were performed in one take with genuine reactions from people pulled off the street. A preview can be seen at rsvpmagic.com and the discs should be in stock within the next few days.

Best,
Russ (rsvpmagic.com)

"We set Matthew J. Dowden a challenge... Learn 14 world class easy-to-do card tricks within 24 hours and then go out onto the streets of London and amaze your audiences!

On these DVDs you’ll see Matthew perform 14 fantastic card tricks that require no skill and absolutely no sleight of hand. Only you’ll know just how simple these tricks are to do. Aimed at the beginner and professional,after watching these discs you’ll wonder just why you’ve not used them before.
!

This undertaking is the most idiotic idea I've heard of yet -

At least you're admitting that the performer is "teaching" tricks he's only bought or learned the day before unlike so Many Manufacturers. This shows a lack of integrity and a blatant money grab from those not smart enough to see the scam for what it is.

Anyone who would buy these DVD's would also have to be lacking both intelligence and integrity.

It's time for those of you whom the "kidz" look up to on this forum, help them by pointing out shams like these.

Dave
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I can think of a few people who really could do this.Max Maven...Michael Skinner.
Although I think Matthew Dowden had longer then 24 hours so it really is a catchy
title.I've bought one of the volumes and judging from 'Party Animal' I'm looking
forward to it.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
This undertaking is the most idiotic idea I've heard of yet -

At least you're admitting that the performer is "teaching" tricks he's only bought or learned the day before unlike so Many Manufacturers. This shows a lack of integrity and a blatant money grab from those not smart enough to see the scam for what it is.

Anyone who would buy these DVD's would also have to be lacking both intelligence and integrity.

It's time for those of you whom the "kidz" look up to on this forum, help them by pointing out shams like these.

Dave

With all due respect, I think your post is ridiculously over the top. I''m not a kid or a magic DVD fanboy, but I think that any thinking person can see the title of this DVD as being just what it is -- a fun, provocative and colorful way to promote the teaching of what are essentially self-working card tricks. I'm sure whatever rudimentary handlings are needed to accomplish these tricks Matthew learned long ago (and has spent more than 24 hours refining]. So, the ad copy is really only saying that the material on this disk is easy to memorize (which is why so many can be learned in 24 hours). It's not saying that that's the way magic should always be learned, or that we should not practice. It's just saying that, in this instance, Matthew was given a challenge and here's how he did. It's like any number of reality shows that do basically the same thing, or, as I posted above, like those 24 hour film and theater festivals which show work made in that time span. The drama is in how the performer will adapt to the restrictions of the concept. And, in this case, again, it's telling the reader that these are easy tricks, nothing more. I honestly don't know why everyone is so bent out of a shape about this. And if anyone here learns an easy trick, like a reversed card "You Do as I Do," do you honestly spend more than 24 hours practicing it before trying it out on someone?
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Dave Egleston,

Wow, what a post! It is amazing that some of you are jumping the gun here without even watching the DVDs and until you have, I think that posts using the words "lack of integrity", "blatant money grab" and "shams" are just a little harsh. So calm down, take a few deep breaths Dave and don't worry about the "kidz", because we're not about to rip them or anyone else off.

Once more here are my words from another post...
"Matthew Dowden and these DVD's are far from "Amateur Hour". The whole point of this project is to show the viewer that even self-working card magic can be extremely strong to the viewing (paying) public and I think that's something that we can all easily forget. We also show that performed correctly, this collection of tricks can amaze and entertain any audience, which was why we didn't perform them in a studio "set-up", but rather to random strangers to get real reactions. Just because these effects are easy to do, doesn't mean that they don't have a valid place in any magician's set list".

Best,
Russ
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
This is a DVD pitched to lazy ad spoiled little kids who dread practice and rehearsal. However may or may not be a reflection of the actual material.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of Bande
I was going to let this post slide, as arguing with people on the internet is usually pointless. However, as I like this forum would like it remain a positive place, I feel compelled to respond at least a little.

The purpose of a review forum is to....(wait for it)....review. If AFTER you have viewed the DVD and tried the tricks you want to post a negative review, so be it. I really like honest reviews, and this forum has saved me from making some really bad purchases as well as guiding me to some great ones.

Blasting off that people are "lazy spoiled kids" or "idiots" etc. because you do not like the title of a DVD or its marketing message is simply inappropriate. You certainly have the right to say whatever you want, but I think you denigrate the entire forum and its participants when you do so. This problem is compounded when you haven't even used the product.

So, please let's try to keep the forum a civilized place and focus on its purpose and not turn it into the flame wars that so many forums have become lately.

/rant off and Thanks for reading Smile

Bande
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
WTF !!!!!!!!
easy now...
I think the are just self working tricks, there are plenty of books out there already covering this catagory, so whats wrong with having a top pro like matthew performing them, and cutting edge dvd producer like russ share the routines with us all????
I am guessing that they are either thinkng that amatuers may want to try out these effects on friends etc, or professional magicans, who already have excellent presentation sklls and patter, can use these effects and just adapt the presentation / patter they already have mastered to make these totally useable tricks
I for one am looking forward to them dropping through my letter box this week!
and oh, you don't HAVE to buy them david ?????