The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Party animal dvd - short review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Uh, isn't everythig at this point derivative? I mean there's nothing really "new" out there. Just variations of other effects and ideas.

Again, I have only seen the demo, but I cannot believe you guys didn't find at least the card to pocket compelling. I thought that looked great. And, come on, he's obviously a very polished, professional performer. Better than just some guy in a pub.

With all the cr** being released, I'm just stunned that people are scoffing at this without giving it a shot.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
I am not knocking the performer, just the effects. I am sure it is a great dvd, but the variations are not really over the top. I also appriciate all the other posers, sorry I meant posters who vouche for this dvd. I am off to get fitted for my glasses lol, and wish Matthew J. Dowden all the best in his endevors.

Regards,
Jeremy
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Superior Magic
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Superior Magic
One question.

Does Matthew just explain the effects or does he go into detail on how he handled the spectators during the performance segments, analyzing what went well and what didn't?

It's this type of information I'm after from a working professional, not just a bunch of derivative card tricks.

If there is an analysis of the performance then I am interested and may purchase this. Could any 'independent' owners of this dvd comment on this particular point?

Ade
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-05-06 10:47, Irishghost wrote:
I am not knocking the performer, just the effects. I am sure it is a great dvd, but the variations are not really over the top. I also appriciate all the other posers, sorry I meant posters who vouche for this dvd. I am off to get fitted for my glasses lol, and wish Matthew J. Dowden all the best in his endevors.

Regards,
Jeremy

I think Jeremy ( as always ) put it better than I did.

I'm sure the DVD is of the highest quality and the performer is a world class Magician. I just didn't see the effects as being "gaspers".

Am I worng in judging the effects by a demo? Well...the demo is done to get you interested in purchasing the DVD. It didn't get me interested enough for that.

Down the road I may get this and of course I'll say if I was wrong and the effects were killers.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
350 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
This is certainly NOT a "bunch of derivative card tricks by a lad in a pub" - what rubbish !!!! The DVDs show Matthew (one of the top professionals in the UK) providing great entertainment using a lot of his original handlings and presentations....just watch the faces of the spectators - they are totally gobsmaked and are enjoying every second of the magic. This is the standard of performance we should all be striving for, and anyone who performs (or wants to start performing) commercial close up will learn a huge amount from these DVDs. I just wish to point out that I have no connection with Matthew. I've never met him and before viewing these tapes I had never seen him work. However I am very impressed by his personality and ability to entertain.....and would have no hesitation in recommending him to any agent or corporate client.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Noel
View Profile
Loyal user
Surrey, England
220 Posts

Profile of Noel
I don't post very often but I just wanted to mention that this is an excellent DVD. Good production, great effects all performed for real people.

Top stuff.

Noel
Superior Magic
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Superior Magic
If you're recommending it then that's good enough for me.

I will order this when I land my next big IT contract.

Ade
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Its good stuff
a lot of walkaround effects too, which are always good to see
matthew uses a lot of quick, visual and strong effects
these are great as in these sort of conditions the specs don't have a lot of attention span / time
its easy for them to follow and it hits them hard
every time!
david, I guess this dvd may have helps you in your search for the best walkaround card trick.....?
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hi guys

I used x marks the spot, sole selection, birthday prediction, cards to pocket, mst yesterday (sunday) and boy was I mega pleased with the reaction I got, these will be stayers in my act for sure

great stuff again Matthew and Alakazam
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
You were performing the effects the same day you got the DVD? Wow, that's quick.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
I received my copy a few days ago, so have been constantly practising these, also they are not incredibly difficult to do
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I watched the clip a few more times. He's a first rate Magician, better than I'll ever be. Very charismatic as well.

I'm very cautious about adding anything new as I only want jaw droppers. What on this DVD would fit that criteria?

Thanks!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
Mst, sole selection, cards to pocket, card to anywhere, birthday prediction would fit that category
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Just watched this DVD and holy smoke...the 3D stick man routine is worth the price in my opinion. Can you imagine how powerful that thing plays!

If on your business card you had a pic of yourself, cartoon or whatever and you did this exact trick with it...you popping off the card, leaving behind a blank space where you used to be on the card too!

Ken
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Great Idea Ken!
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
If only it could be played as mind reading...maybe a change in career is needed and finger flicking is the way to go!
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
the bozboz
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of the bozboz
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 13:04, Ken Dyne wrote:
If only it could be played as mind reading...maybe a change in career is needed and finger flicking is the way to go!

Hello ken. finger flinking is actually harder than psych mind control so this won't be happening.
Kip Stevens
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Kip Stevens
Quote:
On 2007-05-11 05:54, the bozboz wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 13:04, Ken Dyne wrote:

Hello ken. finger flinking is actually harder than psych mind control so this won't be happening.

That's soooooooooo RIGHT dude!!!

Mentalism is all about doing some acting and talking the talk. Finger flickin' requires a hooooooooooole world of skillz that takes years to develop!

See ya back here in like about 10 YEARS time!!!!

Over an' out

Kip
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
I performed some of the effects in this DVD during my current tour of San Antonio Texas and they went down soooooo well!!

for me to take 4 effects from a DVD and put them right into my working routine is strange for me, but it happened and they WORK!!!

Ohhhh and I have more then 20 posts!!
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Do we really need more card tricks?