The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Jay Sankey's Supernatural DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I think there are two or three items on the dvd from his latest lecture notes. The other stuff I'm not familiar with. I might get this as I am always looking for good non coin and card stuff.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone find the demo clip annoying?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Yes. Although, not because of Jay's performance but because of that wavy screen. Cut the FX and just show us the goods.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I would only get this if it has the Cap in Bottle that I read about in another thread. Other then that I think this is his worst Demo/Teaser, It didn't tease and it didn't demo. Basically him talking and I think he had a stomach ache or was nauseous because he had a glass of water and he was all wavy. I think it might be the cap that he had in his mouth. Other then that I didn't get anything.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-10-15 20:07, paisa23 wrote:
I would only get this if it has the Cap in Bottle that I read about in another thread. Other then that I think this is his worst Demo/Teaser, It didn't tease and it didn't demo. Basically him talking and I think he had a stomach ache or was nauseous because he had a glass of water and he was all wavy. I think it might be the cap that he had in his mouth. Other then that I didn't get anything.

You summed it up perfectly!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Malus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Malus
Quote:
On 2006-10-15 16:24, MagicChris wrote:
Anyone find the demo clip annoying?

Chris

Yes,I do think it is kind of annoying. :S I ususally like to watch demo over and over again. But not after I watch this one.
Malus.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2006-10-10 15:02, Alex Linian wrote:
Anyone ever notice Jay Sankey says "without a doubt" a lot?

How about "If I had to choose 3 effects. This would be one of them".
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

LOL!

BTW, what cap in bottle effect?
BenM
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of BenM
I wish Sankey would slow down with his releases (who doesn't?). I mean, how many other creators release twelve DVDs/effects each year? Why doesn't Jay stop releasing for the sake of releasing and slow things down a little bit?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Well, he hasn't released 12 dvds this year. Including this new one, he's released 3 full length dvds in 2006. He's also released 3 tricks.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2006-10-10 15:02, Alex Linian wrote:
Anyone ever notice Jay Sankey says "without a doubt" a lot?

hehe definately! I wanted to write the same right now lol
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Effect
View Profile
New user
London
14 Posts

Profile of Effect
Ha ha yea it's either that or "boom" to explain when an effect is supposed to hit the spec. "and it's just boom... boom... BOOM, which is so much better than just boom boom boom"

Please God stop saying boom Jay!
SeoMagi
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of SeoMagi
I forget who on the board said it, but it rang very true and, as an owner of too many Sankey DVD's, made me laugh. To paraphrase, One day, Jay will release a single DVD with all his best effects, and that will be an amazing investment. Until then, his DVD's are hit-or-miss in quality and redundant in material.

That being said, this sure sounds like the kind of thing I'd want to pick up. I'll have to read some reviews though, to see if there will be a lot of repeats.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
The demo looked annoying, and the effects looked to wierd. The reason card and coin effects are good is because they are always around. The camera work is crazy again. He mentioned that most of the effects are from his working repetiore. He must have nearly 1000 tricks in his repetiore.

Its amazing that no matter how much people complain about his continuing to release stuff, it almost always sells out. It makes you wonder, has he put us under a spell or something.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
You guys are babies. Don't buy his stuff if you don't like it. I own the vast majority of Sankey's DVD's and there isn't one that doesn't have a number of USABLE tricks on it. Does he reuse different techniques and themes: absolutely. Big deal. The effect on a layperson is rarely the same.

I'm pretty sure this is only his second DVD this year devoted to tricks. By some standards that's a lot. But is it really so much to think that a person whose full-time job is magic might come up with a decent idea once a week? (Which would be about three 19 trick DVDs a year.)

I look at his DVDs as a kind of ongoing video notebook and I'm always happy to support him by picking up his new releases.
SeoMagi
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of SeoMagi
Wow I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm just saying if that there's a fair bet that this DVD will contain another one of his $100.00 Bill Switch tricks and something vanishing inside flash paper. I don't drop thirty dollars on getting one or two distinctly original tricks out of eight. If you do, I respect your determination and admire your wealth - but there's no reason to step on my toes and call me a "baby."
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
You didn't offend me. It's my favorite time of year when a Sankey DVD comes out because people fall all over themselves to let everyone know they're not going to get it. I think it's funny.

He does a lot of stuff with the bill switch? Guess what, there was a book released this year devoted to the bill switch -- over 60 effects. There's a lot to be done with the technique.
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
218 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
I just got an email from SnakeyMagic.com indicating this is now shipping. Also noticed it on at least one dealer site. Here's the detailed description. If someone already has this, I would love to see an opinion or (even better) a review:

SUPERNATURAL- THE DVD!

ALCHEMY SELTZER
A spectator initials an Alka-Seltzer tablet with a magic marker. The tablet is slowly dissolved in a glass of water. You drink every drop. A minute later you impossibly cough up the tablet, complete with spectator's initials! I have performed this showstopper in bars and restaurants but it is especially strong at a party where I am NOT booked to perform. It totally blurs the line between "performing magician" and "scary supernatural individual!"

BURDEN OF PROOF
A spectator twists a twist-tie into a small, tight loop and then you link it onto your finger ring! The SPECTATOR can untwist the tie and remove the ring. For the very first time I share the complete professional presentation with the all-important psychological pointers.

CIRCUMFERENCE
Great for kids, but I also toss it into my sets when working corporate gigs. A small, flat envelope is introduced. You slip out of the envelope a flat white disc and call it a "deflated ping pong ball." A moment later it's a REAL PING PONG BALL! Then you flattened it and slip it back into the envelope (and finish with empty hands!) The routine really FLOWS. Easy and beautifully VISUAL. I've done it in complete silence or while pattering about some silly nonsense. It hits people in a way that card and coin tricks just can't.

TRINITY
One of the most practical and powerful "bits of mentalism" I've released in quite a while. Your name and the names of two other spectators are written on slips of paper and they are mixed up. With no equivoque or funny moves, the spectator "with some psychic ability" is able to choose the correct slip for all three of you! Very strong, clever structure. And again, easy! One of my very favorite mentalism warm-up effects.

BEST BEFORE
I shared this routine in my monthly e-newsletter several months ago and received a ton of positive e-mails. You send one of those small white plastic tags from a loaf of grocery store bread BACK IN TIME, three times in a row. And at the end, even the 'best before date' changes!
Mind-blowing "impromptu" work.

MISMADE MONOPOLY
Another effect I've been keeping to myself for years. The Mismade Bill concept is great, but it would even be better if, every time you perform the effect you could GIVE THE SCREWED UP BILL AWAY AS A SOUVENIR! Well, now you CAN! And you are going to really like the no-nonsense handling.

HOW FORTUNATE
You divine the fortune in a FREELY SELECTED fortune cookie. Do this one at the right time and place and it will MAKE your reputation!

A DELICATE BALANCE
Inspired by a Paul Harris idea, three bolts are balanced on top of each other, one at a time. Then, all three bolts are magically EPOXY GLUED together and can be immediately handed out for examination!

FORCED ENTRY
Without a doubt one of the best routines on the dvd! A drinking straw is stabbed through the middle of a bottle cap, then the cap is slowly pulled off the end of the straw and allowed to fall directly into a spectator's OWN HAND. The moment the cap hits the spectator's palm, it instantly HEALS ITSELF! And yes, both the cap and the straw can be immediately examined!
I've seriously fried people with this handling at private parties using a BORROWED cap and a BORRWED straw, and that's all people talked about for the rest of the night!

AROUND THE BEND
A paperclip is completely bent out of shape and then mysteriously regains its original shape in an INSANELY VISUAL FASHION!

GLOBAL WARMING
Another off-the-hook mentalist effect. Several small envelopes are introduced with paper money from a different country in each envelope.
The spectator merely THINKS of one of the bills (and again, it is a FREE
choice) and the spectator imagines that bill getting warmer and warmer...when the spectators open all the envelopes they find that only one of the bills has been REDUCED TO ASHES! The bill the spectator was concentrating on! And everything can be examined! I've closed plenty of "intimate performances" with this one.

AIR OF MYSTERY
Funky magical fun! Perfect for the less than totally SERIOUS or DRAMATIC performer. A spectator pops all the bubbles on a small square of packing bubble material, but with just a wave of his hand the magician causes all the popped bubbles to impossibly REFILL WITH AIR!

DOUBLE FEATURE
An outstanding stand-up routine involving a two-phase bill switch handling and a packet of Monopoly "Chance" cards. And again, a killer VISUAL ending!

PAPER TRADE
A startling transposition between the two halves of a torn piece of paper.
In the last few years this has become one of my very favorite "in the spectator's hands" effects. Super easy to do (really just ONE MOVE!) and it even automatically re-sets itself!!!

GLASS MENAGERIE
A slip of paper with the correct prediction literally APPEARS inside a small glass vial. This is a concept with unlimited potential and applications. Laypeople always experience it as REAL MAGIC!

X-RAY VISION
The final effect on the SUPERNATURAL dvd is an extremely simple and marvelously powerful mentalist effect with business cards. You draw a large "X" on the back of one of your own cards and mix it into the stack.
But somehow, when the spectator FREELY chooses any one of the business cards, they discover they've chosen the one with the X! (And there really is only ONE X on the back of ONE CARD in the entire stack!) Another dead easy handling combined with a wonderfully commercial premise.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
I'm actually very impressed with sankey's strategies since they seem to be working so well. I'm curious to know how many more dvds he can put out before this year ends, that will actually be what he says.

It seems like he's take a bunch of basic moves and using them over and over again to make 100s of effects possible. Pretty cool thinking.
Although I admire those qualities, I do think that there are only a small handful of dvds that truly show what Sankey is capable off. In my opinion his earliest stuff IS the best. The material in Richard's Alamanac is very good and along with his first batch of dvds.

Hopefully there will be some reviews or good reviews on this dvd, since I won't be buying it.
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
218 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
Quote:
On 2006-11-03 19:46, clamon86 wrote:
It seems like he's take a bunch of basic moves and using them over and over again to make 100s of effects possible. Pretty cool thinking.
Although I admire those qualities, I do think that there are only a small handful of dvds that truly show what Sankey is capable off. In my opinion his earliest stuff IS the best.

I have noticed that myself. From what I've heard this one may have some new ideas. I'm hoping that's the case!

-Wolfgang