The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Once upon a time... :: My most powerful performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 23:42, mc_magi wrote:
I wonder if this is "moral" or "immoral"...
This is nowhere as moving as the original post...
but, when we were goin through our biggest, and the only oral english exam of the year, we were supposed to give out 15 minute non-prepared talk on a passage from 5-6 works that we worked on over past year.
A friend of mine was really friengtened that she would not get any of the passages that she studied for, and she was down to a point where she was almost shivering or fainting..
I got up, did the OTW for her and told her that all she had to do was concentrate and do her thing, and everything would be fine.
She went in the exam room with a broad smile.
Now, it was a huge gamble on my part in that she might not have gotten the passage she had studied for.. so I fooled her bigtime and took my gamble.
Is that... "okay" do you think?

(Sorry for sticking this in your thread Mr rtbrook ><....but I really didn't want to start another thread for this small thing..

what is a otw??
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Moral. No question about it. You used Out of this World to help a friend pass an exam by getting over her nervous condition.

If helping someone over an emotional hump isn't moral, I don't know what is.

Good for you!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Mc_magi, the story that you told was precisely what I am talking about. There is of course the magic that we all work on. I practice for my shows. I do not only the practicing of the sleights but the routining, the staging, etc.

But it is so easy, in our working on the 'big picture', to miss on the chances to create real magic. It's so easy for us, in our pursuit of the perfect execution of the illusion to overlook the moments in which we can change lives with nothing more than a 3 minute investment of our time and a silver dollar sized coin made of cheap nickle.

What is really amazing is that most of us would be happy to spare those few moments to bring joy into someone else's life - we just forget to look for them.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Great story! I wish I could get that effect with my own kids, but after watching me do magic for the 1000th time.... well......you all know how that is. Anyway, very inspirational story!
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Wonderful Story. Thanks so much for sharing.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Rik, as a very late comment on YOUR story, the only thing I can say is it brought tars to my eyes. as they say in China - a "cry for happy" kind of tears.

Truly a random act of magic and a special kindness.

Well done, my friend!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Tundaar
View Profile
New user
Scott Barhold
2 Posts

Profile of Tundaar
Thanks for the original Post. I was very powerful, and my reply is you are magic. Magic is not the effect that you do but more the effect that you leave your spectator with.

In the past 2 years I have gotten involved in some greif counseling, mainly with youngsters between the ages of 7 and 16. These are children that have lost a parent, grandparent, or sibling within the last six months. It is through magic that I try to connect with people that are going through a rough time. Hearing many of their stories I have been brought to tears more than once.

However in sharing my magic I have seen tears turn to smiles, and sorrow turn to joy, even if only briefly. My message is that even though they are hurting now, there are things to smile about. Magic is in all of us and the greatest place to find it is within yourself because then you can share it with some one else. It is in the act of sharing magic that it come to life, and becomes real.

Your selfless act of kindness created Magic in its truest form, in that childs mine he hase a magicx coin, in the fathers mind you have created an outstanding magic memory that I am sure is rememered much greater than your recollection.

Thank you for sharing
Scott
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what others sayt cannot be done.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
My brother had Downs. Unfortuantly he has passed on, but I always love hearing stories like this. Thanks rikbrooks for sharing with both the boy and his father and us here on the Café!
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
Thanks rik - this is what magic's all about...
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Thanks for sharing this wonderful and emotional event with us.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Rick:

I'm proud of you -- especially since you and I have a connection through the late Fred Scott Donaldson. You done good!

Fred would have liked that.

Check your local clinics to find a support group for people with Down syndrome. Also check out United Cerebral Palsy. These people are often neglected. They love magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Brilliant! It is people like you who share moments like this that make us proud...

I must say, that was a truly awe-inspiring story. You have to create a club for magicians working to make the world a better place Smile. It seems like a different form of magic...it's "real" in a sense.

Sir, you have definitely made my day, and everyone's I'm sure. Thanks for that!

Dan
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
103 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
Very beautiful story, thanks for sharing this.

For anyone looking for a place to start volunteering with people who need it, I also suggest checking out Copperfield's Project Magic (www.davidcopperfield.com) or with the Spencers Healing of Magic (www.magictherapy.com). It can be very tough sometimes, but working with patients can be a very rewarding experience for people who really a little magic in their lives. As has been noted here, contacting a charity or foundation directly can also lead to unique opportunities. Hospitals might be a little easier to start working with, though, as they may already have a physical/recreational therapy program in place you can work with.
pdmedic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pdmedic
Rick,

I would like to say that your story was very inspirational and thank you very much for sharing it with the rest of us. I have had the opportunity to perform in a hospital setting and enjoy the reactions that I recieve.
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
134 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
I just saw this thread now, so, just wanted to say as a newbie that I agree with those saying that's the true magic.

Made me a bit teary as well.

Great story, and more importantly, it was a great thing you did.
gr8danemom
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of gr8danemom
Rik,

A couple of organizations that work with developmentally delayed individuals: Special Olympics and Parent to Parent. Both of these organizations have a national presence.

Your original post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for reaching out in such a special way. You will definitely be blessed beyond your intitial contact.

Sherrie
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Rick,

I guess your testimonial just demonstrate us the aim of Magic. It's a very strong medium to inspire people, the art of astonishment can make miracles (even small ones...).

I had the oportunity to practice Magic in an Hopsital in Bogota, for children from 7 to 15, in cancer therapy. Such an emotion to see their faces changing, to see hope coming back the time of a simple but effective close up trick...

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
After a LONG day at work, thank you for reminding me why magic really is magic!

Gary
indysmagic
View Profile
New user
cherokee, tx
63 Posts

Profile of indysmagic
Thankyou for sharing your story. It is magic.

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

Would love to hear more stories of touching lives.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Shawn
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Bravo!!

and thanks for sharing
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick