The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Where to buy 5" chrome ring? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
It's funny people worry about seams in their rings. FYI, Marlo had a seam put into his key ring! If the seam is in view, then that is where spectators would expect the penetration to take place. So, in some sense a seam is an advantage, not a disadvantage. But this requires greater management of the rings position so that the seam is always away from the point of the penetration.

However, it's absurd to think that the absence of a seam means that the spectators won't think the ring can somehow secretly open (if that is an explanation they develop). So, it's important whatever type of ring you have that the spector handle the ring so that he convinces himself that the ring doesn't come apart and that the handling is smooth so that it doesn't look as though you are somehow opening a ring.
Harold Cataquet
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Putting a seam in a ring is to me like adding all kinds of feints in a routine that does not really need them. It prevents the audience for experiencing magic because a "flaw" is constantly present. When at the end they are proven wrong they might be puzzled but they have been "robbed from the magic-moment" nonetheless.
If Marlo really did that he does not impress me very much...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Yeah, who is this Marlo guy anyway. What did he ever come up with? Smile
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Five inch rings? These look promising.
http://www.nocbay.com/store/metalitems/b......ops.html
fifty five cents apiece or ten for $4.95
These may have to be chromed but at that price, worth checking out.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Quote:
On 2005-11-06 05:12, Dan LeFay wrote:
Putting a seam in a ring is to me like adding all kinds of feints in a routine that does not really need them. It prevents the audience for experiencing magic because a "flaw" is constantly present. When at the end they are proven wrong they might be puzzled but they have been "robbed from the magic-moment" nonetheless.
If Marlo really did that he does not impress me very much...

I concur
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Sadly, those who have criticized Marlo don't understand the genius behind adding the seam. In his linking ring routine, all the other rings also had seams, but the key ring (for obvious reasons) would not show one. So seeing the rings with the other seams, the spectators MIGHT notice that they can't see the seam of the key ring.
Harold Cataquet
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-11-07 12:35, cataquet wrote:
Sadly, those who have criticized Marlo don't understand the genius behind adding the seam. In his linking ring routine, all the other rings also had seams, but the key ring (for obvious reasons) would not show one. So seeing the rings with the other seams, the spectators MIGHT notice that they can't see the seam of the key ring.
Also I generally give spectators quite some credit of being observant AND intelligent...I miss your point.
A Linking Ring routine isn't that *static* that they can focus on almost invisible seams on ALL the rings..
I really think your argument is VERY strange and 'invented'... Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Quote:
On 2005-11-07 13:24, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
A Linking Ring routine isn't that *static* that they can focus on almost invisible seams on ALL the rings..
I really think your argument is VERY strange and 'invented'... Smile

Fine, don't believe me. I'll wait until other members who knew Marlo chime in. Also we're talking about a close up linking ring routine, not a stage routine. Marlo had other touches on rings with seam, but I'll skip these.

I only mentioned this because people were getting hung up on not having a seam in the ring. Therefore, the idea of putting one in would seem strange. But Marlo did exactly that!
Harold Cataquet
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
That was not clear from your first message Harold. When mentioning linking rings I assumed the stage version.
I do not doubt Marlo's genius at all. But neither do I mindlessly follow everything a proclaimed genius comes up with. No disrespect meant here. As "another" genius once said: "Magicians stop too soon with thinking." ;-)
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 03:00, knmagic wrote:
the thickness I need range from .30" to .50".
Thanks
Ken

A steel ring 5" in diameter and 1/2" thick will weigh .862 pounds or 13.8 ounces, isn't that a bit heavy? My Sherwood cups are heavy and they weigh 6 ounces each.

Bill
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
You think that's heavy. My brother in law worked in demolition. I asked him to look out for some 5" rings. Moroever, he was also a welder, so I asked him to get me four rings, and to weld two of them together to create a linked set. When I eventually got a set from him, there was no sign of a weld on the linked set, the ring was seamless. Unfortunately, the rings had a rectangular cross section and are about 1/2" wide and 3/8" thick. I may upload a picture so you can see them. Totally useless, but fun to show magicians.

In England, there is a guy who makes rings for magicians at the Magic Circle, but shipping these internationally (given the weight) would be prohibitive. He'd have to first make the ring (which he does by hand!), and then have them chrome plated. He's strictly cash up front only... For comparison, I called a local steel fabricator, and they priced up a single 5" ring at about $55 (excluding postage). Now that's in England, so you might be able to get one made in the US for about $30.
Harold Cataquet
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Cataquet,

Assuming that your finished rings are 5" in diameter and a cross section of .5 x .375 inches the rings weigh about .82 pounds each or 13.202 ounces, making your two ring set weigh 1.62 pounds.

Bill
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Did you try a ring from a 5" linking ring set ?

They might be a little too light for your needs though, unless you can find an old set that were made thicker.

You could also try to find a brass doorknocker that has a full ring.

Joe H
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
You could also try to find a brass doorknocker that has a full ring.
Joe H

Wouldn't that be called a doorbell? Smile

Mike
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Well that explains the strange ringing in my ears whenever someone comes to my house. I thought it was jus my tinnitus acting up.

Joe H
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2975 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2005-11-05 15:36, cataquet wrote:
However, it's absurd to think that the absence of a seam means that the spectators won't think the ring can somehow secretly open (if that is an explanation they develop). So, it's important whatever type of ring you have that the spector handle the ring so that he convinces himself that the ring doesn't come apart and that the handling is smooth so that it doesn't look as though you are somehow opening a ring.

I agree, cataquet. I think the audience may be more suspicious of a "seamless" ring. They can find one with a seam in hardware stores, tack shops, etc. Ordinary rings, that do NOT separate. If your ring has a seam, and you tell them you got it a hardware store, tack shop, whatever- I got mine at a hardware store- they may just believe it is an ORDINARY ring. And if you let them examine it and try to pull it apart- GOOD LUCK to them!- they may be convinced the ring is above suspicion. Regardless, they realize you are performing a trick and they are being tricked somehow, whether the ring is the culprit or not.

Very good question, Mike. Smile
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Today I received the 4" rings Euangelion offers. They are fantastic! Solid with a good feel and nice weight. Much better than the 5" rings I have been using from the Wal-Mart craft department.

Even though there is a weld in these, that should not be a problem. When I am doing ring and rope effects, I am not trying to hide anything anyway.

If a spectator mentions the weld, I would do it again with the weld in plain view, which would probably take the heat off the "move" I am doing. It's all in the presentation, my positioning or stance, body language, etc... As mentioned before, why run if I'm not being chased?

Thanks Euangelion for the rings. I look forward to getting a lot of use from them. Smile
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Thanks, Mark, enjoy the rings just don't drop them on your toe. If you do while in sandals I guarantee you'll learn some new moves.

Posted: Nov 12, 2005 12:16pm
------------------------------------------
BTW, I received fresh stock on rings this week. I had a run on them but they are now back in stock.
Bill Esborn

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2975 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 06:40, Euangelion wrote:
Thanks, Mark, enjoy the rings just don't drop them on your toe. If you do while in sandals I guarantee you'll learn some new moves.

I think I'm gonna start practicing with my steel-toed boots on. Smile
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
One thing that no one has mentioned in the discussion of rings is the cross-sectional size. Colombini uses a plastic ring that approaches 3/8" in thickness. Many thinner rings are used by some with less than 1/8" thckness. I find the thinner rings do not allow me the feeling of a secure grip.
Bill Esborn