The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Chinese linking rings (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
I missed Klause's routine. Is it in print?
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Plenty of informative posts on the Linking Rings.

Type "Linking Rings" into the Magic Café's excellent search engine and enjoy the ride.

One such post can be found at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=8

Happy Linking!!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 19:35, Erik Anderson wrote:
I missed Klause's routine. Is it in print?

I am not sure if it is the same but check out the DVD:
Legend of the Five Mystic Rings - Tom Frank

Tom does a great job teaching this Jack Miller routine complete with poetic patter.

I have been working on this for the past few Months and performed it in public for the 1st time yesterday. Wow what a reaction from the audience

Thanks for sharing the routine Tom.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What do you like about the routine Kono?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 22:52, kOnO wrote:

I am not sure if it is the same but check out the DVD:
Legend of the Five Mystic Rings - Tom Frank

Tom does a great job teaching this Jack Miller routine complete with poetic patter.

I have been working on this for the past few Months and performed it in public for the 1st time yesterday. Wow what a reaction from the audience

Thanks for sharing the routine Tom.

kOnO

I concur this is a great routine!
I use this as the opener for my Poe Show and always get a great response from it.
I've rewritten the poem so that it is in the same poetic form as Poe's Raven and have added some moves from Cellini's ring routine as well.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
1.) "The Odin Rings", Victor Farrelli, author...

2.) "Ken Brooke's Linking Ring Routine" - "Routined Manipulations", Lewis Ganson, author...

3.) "Jack Miller's Linging Ring Routine" (Five Rings)
(there is another, second book on this with a much more detailed descrition and analysis - can't recall the author offhand - someone must know...)

4.) Charlie Miller published material on the rings from time to time in Magicana - including a description with background on the Chefalo Cross and other things Chefalo did with the rings...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Wait. Please tell me I have gotten this wrong. Nobody has mentioned Vernon's? What is going on? It is like the foundation for the Linking rings, like his cups and balls routine. aaaaa.

Whit's routine is great and solves the elementary problem in many routines.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Or Jay Marshall's great five ring routine...

Or Blake's perverse rings...

Or Koran's 3 Ring routine...

Both of which form the foundations of three routines I use
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
...how about will farrel...he knows how it's done...

dug
Deckless Wonder
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
KOnO,

Rock On my Man! So glad you dig the Miller Routine! To hear you say you performed it and the audience liked it. . . I know the feeling. . . it's magical. Very happy and excited. Good luck on your journey pefecting this classic.

I got an idea, anyone want my "Legend of the 5 Mystic Rings" dvd? $25 FREE SHIPPING for the month of June

Right On to view a clip http://homepage.mac.com/tfrank8176/iMovieTheater4.html
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2005-07-01 01:14, Frank Starsini wrote:
What do you like about the routine Kono?

Frank,
This routine flow's nicely. For me the hardest part to learn was the patter but it kind of flows with the moves.
Tom does a great job teaching on the DVD and as Tom said in one of his post the Audience reaction is SUPER!!!!

I have only performed this in front of an audience once but plan on using it a lot more.
I also perform the Whit Haydn routine. I am thinking that I will be using Whit’s routine when I want the audience participation but Tom’s routine when the show calls for more of a demonstration or story.

Quote:
On 2005-07-06 08:03, Tom Frank wrote:
KOnO,

Rock On my Man! So glad you dig the Miller Routine! To hear you say you performed it and the audience liked it. . . I know the feeling. . . it's magical. Very happy and excited. Good luck on your journey pefecting this classic.

I got an idea, anyone want my "Legend of the 5 Mystic Rings" dvd? $25 FREE SHIPPING for the month of June

Right On to view a clip http://homepage.mac.com/tfrank8176/iMovieTheater4.html

Tom,
Thank You and everyone else shoul jump on your offer for the free shipping. But maybe since you posted this on the 6th of July , you could make the free shipping for the MONTH of JULY…..

kOnO
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
How long have you been using the rings, and what size are you using. The only routine that I do is the ninja ring routine which I love. But it is very difficult and in no way should you start with that.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 22:52, steve j wrote:
How long have you been using the rings, and what size are you using. The only routine that I do is the ninja ring routine which I love. But it is very difficult and in no way should you start with that.

I have owned a set of rings for the past 30 years but only added them to my show about 2 year ago when I rediscovered them thanks to the Whit Haydn 4 ring comedy routine. After that I have tried to get my hands on everything I can that has to do with the RINGS. Thanks to Whit, Cellini, and Tom Frank’s routines (and others) the rings are now my favorite props.

I have several sets of rings. I am saving for a really nice set in the future.
For now I use my set of 10-inch rings for the Whit Haydn routine and my 12-inch set for the Jack Miller routine. The 12-inch is great for the final display in the Jack Miller routine.
For close up I have a nice set of McAbee Rings that I carry with me all the time…..

kOnO
Nick Az
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Nick Az
I've just gotten started messing around with the rings and picked up a book by Fitzkee, Rings in Your Fingers. And I was wondering if it was a good starting source.
Brother Kotah
View Profile
New user
wWsconsin
45 Posts

Profile of Brother Kotah
WAtching Vernon's symphony of the rings or Johanathan Neil Brown's two ring routine is pure magic; or perhaps you could pass a ring down over your entire body as Luna Schmida did. All presentations were pure magic.

KOtah
He who sees strangely
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Quote:

I strongly disagree. The Ninja rings routine is one of the easier ones to learn. I can't think of an easier one.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 23:52, kOnO wrote:

I have several sets of rings. I am saving for a really nice set in the future.
For now I use my set of 10-inch rings for the Whit Haydn routine and my 12-inch set for the Jack Miller routine. The 12-inch is great for the final display in the Jack Miller routine.

My comedy four ring routine is based on both Jack Miller's five ring routine and Vernon's six ring "Symphony of the Rings." I studied and performed both of these routines when I was a kid. They are two of the finest and craftiest magic routines in existence.

I used to use ten-inch Orbs Eternal--solid stainless steel rings by Merv Taylor. Recently, my now favorite friend in the universe Jon Stetson gifted me with a set of hollow stainless steel rings from Owen's. They are fifteen inches in diameter and about 3/4 inches in thickness. They are huge! I have been using them for a month now, and just love them. After watching myself with these rings on video, I have decided that the bigger the rings the stronger the effect plays.

See what you think. A recent video of myself at the Magic Castle using my new rings and new performance character is here: http://whithaydn.com/video_clips.htm
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
I would HIGHLY recomend Cellini's Lord and Master Of The Rings.

One of the most beautiful, smooth, and astounding ring routines I've seen.

Everything goes together effortlessly, and is taught very well.

Not to mention it only uses 2 rings, which makes it very easy to handle.
Matt
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Quote:
On 2005-07-22 13:02, rikbrooks wrote:
Quote:

I strongly disagree. The Ninja rings routine is one of the easier ones to learn. I can't think of an easier one.

You are joking, right? This is not that easy to learn. Some of the moves are extremely difficult.

In my opinion, the Ninja rings are by far the most magical, and prettiest ring routine out there. But the one I would use on the stage, or parlour, or street would have to be Whit Haydn's routine. This one is also very magical, but doesn't compare to the Ninja Rings. Simphony of the Rings is in between.

Personally, I like Whit's theory on the rings, and the Ninja rings does something in between the classic method of the spectator not being able to do the links/unlinks, and Whit's method. In the Ninja rings the spectator literally helps the magician link rings.

Good luck!
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
I would suggest that you make your own. Get DVD’s that teach it. Whit Haydn, Dai Vernon, Jeff McBride. And put together your own routine like I did. Then you can say it’s your own.

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk