The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Bill in Kiwi DVD by Cloutier (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
froggyman
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of froggyman
Got it, Love it! High recomend it.
Froggy
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
I really enjoyed all of Carl's routines on this DVD.
His explanations of his routines are generally very good.
I was hoping for more information on his Topit device, in fact you only see his device briefly during one of his explanations. So it is certainly not a definitive topit resource, although loadings for both the topit and sleeving are well explained.

I have two gripes
1. The Dream Tear explanation is missing the set up instructions for the illusion that the envelope is empty.
2. The card to sock gimmick is not shown. Carl briefly explains the principle but does not go into any technical detail. I would be interested to know if this is explained on any on his earlier DVD's/Videos.

One of my favourites is the "Pepper routine", in which a signed silk is found inside a pepper. What makes this routine great is that the spectator opens the pepper with a knife in his or her own hands to reveal that there is a silk inside the pepper.

Overall an excellent DVD, which highlights why Carl Cloutier is a multi award winner.

PS. Thanks to Jeremy for putting my on to Madhatter Magic Shop
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I am a big fan of Cloutier's magic, but I was not aware that he is such a humorous performer until I saw the real show for a real audience on CD #2. He is a very funny, as well as a very skilled, magician.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Honestly

Do you really need a DVD to do the bill to kiwi???

Oh my -just buy a kiwi and look inside it to see how you could easily set it up
froggyman
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of froggyman
Ice,
It is not only the bill in the kiwi, but the handling and set up. Cloutier is very clear and explaines all the subities. Also the 2 nd DVD is an added bouns.
Froggy
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

In which a signed silk is found inside a pepper. What makes this routine great is that the spectator opens the pepper with a knife in his or her own hands to reveal that

What???? A signed silk?

where would you perform this miracle??
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Niva quote

I liked the Bill in Kiwi. It's practical even for walkaround,

what kind of walkaround

I realise my posts are negative but seriously- what kind of performer carries 6 kiwis around with him.

It is not practicle at all.
and the signed silk in pepper- where would you perform this. and how much does it cost to keep buying silks- or does he wash the ink out every performance.

Practicle you say- I say you are inexperienced and don't know what you are saying.
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Hi Ice
Have you seen the DVD ? Have you seen any of Carl Cloutier's performances ?

"Pepper in Silk" - It is hard to expand on what I have already said without giving away the routine. To the spectators, when an audience member opens the pepper with a knife in their own hands to show that there is a silk inside the pepper, it is revealed to be the signed silk. The cost of buying cheap silks is nothing compared to the reactions this trick will produce. IMHO this trick has no limitations on where it can be performed.

This DVD contains more than just the Bill in the Kiwi, the following routines are also included.

-Sports Ball Routine
A plain ball, a soccer ball, a golf ball and a mini basketball transpose between each other in a great routine.

-Bounce No Bounce
A bouncy ball fails to bounce for the spectator.

-Traveller
Four signed cards to different pockets (including card to sock)

-Slimfast Routine
Signed card(s) appears in sealed can.

-Pepper Routine
Signed silk appears in the middle of a pepper.

- Magazine Routine
Carl's Dream Tear explanation. A page is torn from a magazine, ripped into four pieces then restored.

- Cards Across
Cards move between two spectators.

- Liquid Asset
A signed glass with liquid in it disappears from Carl’s hands, then reappears in Carl’s pocket.

- Coin Trick
A coin routine ending in the production of jumbo coins.

Regards
Warren
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

I have seen his performance on )worlds greatest magicians)

The bill in kiwi

4 cards to pocket and sock

You still don't get it

Where is it practicle- where are you going to perform it professionally

In the video does he perform with out a table ever.

Your in Newzealand- If you do these routines over there then look out for me
because I am going to be stealing your business- I'll get around to many more people without the reset and more people will be entertained.
I won't spend my time going back to the room to get more kiwis, I won't walk with a limp (sock)
and the audiences are going to die laughing and feeling amazed. and your going to be in the back room loading up those kiwis, getting more silks.

but but but this happens and the card appears in the can and then silk in pepper and whatever- it's not practicle

Good luck to you
David Welzman
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I take a large bag or suitcase with me when I do table hopping and leave it behind the bar etc and carry only the essential things. One kiwi is enough. A normal jacket usually has about four pockets in all. Don't tell me a kiwi does not fit in one of them, or I will start banging my head on the screen.

I may be inexperienced, but Carl surely knows what he is talking about when he says he has used it for walk around.

The silk trick should be done for secial occasions only. It would not be worth it to do it every night.

I have a simple advise for you, if from the demo and reviews you don't like it, don't buy it. It's your money. See you.
Yours,

Ivan
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Hi Ivan, good advice to icentertainment. (Perhaps he does not get it)

Carls entire performance on the DVD is done with him standing directly in front of an audience, freely moving about. It was certainly practical for Carl's performance.

Cheers
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

More business to me
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Hey ice,

Not everything has to be "practical" for it to be a great piece of magic. It is very possible to perform it in walkaround and strolling situations. I am not saying this would be done at every table, you just need to use common sense when performing a routine like this.

Sometimes I take 1 or 2 routines that I know I will only be able to do once during the night because they will take to long to reset, but it really spices up a group when you need that "big" finish.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 14:17, icentertainment wrote:

It is not practicle at all.
and the signed silk in pepper- where would you perform this. and how much does it cost to keep buying silks- or does he wash the ink out every performance.

Practicle you say- I say you are inexperienced and don't know what you are saying.

If you are performing professionally and regularly the cost for silks should not even be an issue. They are inexpensive and as someone has already said before the effect on your audience is well worth the small expense of a tiny silk handkerchief.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Did I forget to mention the silks and all the other props are business expenses? lol
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Yes it is a great piece of magic

but whoever originally wrote that it was practicle.

which is what I was refering to.

I guess it depends on what type of silks you use. I buy expensive silks so it would cost me more-it's all image.
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Getting back on track, I bought this a couple of days ago simply because I'd heard Carl Cloutier's name but never seen any of his work. I've watched the second disc, and there's some seriously good stuff. He's obviously a very intelligent magician with some very usable and strong material. Well worth the money, pick it up.

Liam.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

I agree -Carl Cloutier is a super good magician

(Just thought I'd get the last word)
ruijorge
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of ruijorge
To me he is the best. No words to describe him.
Anyone knows if he has a website?
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I would really like him to release that gimmick to get the card in the sock. So Coooool!!
Yours,

Ivan