The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: HOLY WOOD by Hanson Chien (74 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..18~19~20 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2597 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Thanks for the review, Kaan. Good to see you again!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 4, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Kaan says it just a block of wood but that’s not true it’s in fact a veneered covered block so it’s not a solid block of the same wood right through Gaz 😊

Yes, but I believe Kaan genuinely believed it to be a block of wood as I think most people would. I hope most would anyway. I guess we will know as people start performing it in the real world.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I don’t think so to be fair as it would be a lot heavier if it was for a start Gaz 😊
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2838 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
It definitely looks like a block of wood. Unless you play with wood all day. Lol. Nobody going to know a thing.
Highly recommended
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
847 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
On May 3, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Exactly that. Who on earth walks around with IR on them? It would be utter madness to do so.

Let’s consider you have both. Now I wonder which one you’re going to choose to take with you, based on weight alone, plus the added kickers with the wooden device. It’s a no brainer. The IR would become a redundant door-stop, or remain most probable.

You are choosing personal convenience and practicality over stronger magic. I get that. I prefer stronger magic.
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
495 Posts

Profile of geggy
Hi Gaz,a fellow carpenter like myself...yay.
I also noticed the anomaly but still maintain we are over thinking this.
If there were end grain, yes it would be 100% authentic but the slightest bend would surely expose a hairline opening.
As for spec realising it's a veneer block, well the veneer is real wood.
Also let's be honest, when you have seen this and you marvel at it for a few seconds any spec who gives it some afterthought will conclude it opened somehow to achieve the penetration.
Same with metal versions.
It's just a moment of impossibility to enjoy.
And of course there is the dummy block to switch out if you wish.
Overall I am still very impressed with the finish and quality and the long grain where the ' magic' happens is perfectly seemless.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, oombob wrote:
Quote:
Exactly that. Who on earth walks around with IR on them? It would be utter madness to do so.

Let’s consider you have both. Now I wonder which one you’re going to choose to take with you, based on weight alone, plus the added kickers with the wooden device. It’s a no brainer. The IR would become a redundant door-stop, or remain most probable.

You are choosing personal convenience and practicality over stronger magic. I get that. I prefer stronger magic.

But how is IR stronger? Where’s your logic?
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I’ve been chasing an Industrial Revelation for a while because I think the effect is just so beautiful; but honestly, I love the aesthetic of this more. Not only do I love woodgrain looks (my laptop skin, phone case, and water bottle are all made of wood) but I also like this idea of this being a lighter weight prop than something like Industrial Revelation, while still providing what I believe is an equally strong and impossible effect.

My order is in for the next batch and I can’t wait.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 4, 2021, geggy wrote:
Hi Gaz,a fellow carpenter like myself...yay.
I also noticed the anomaly but still maintain we are over thinking this.
If there were end grain, yes it would be 100% authentic but the slightest bend would surely expose a hairline opening.
As for spec realising it's a veneer block, well the veneer is real wood.
Also let's be honest, when you have seen this and you marvel at it for a few seconds any spec who gives it some afterthought will conclude it opened somehow to achieve the penetration.
Same with metal versions.
It's just a moment of impossibility to enjoy.
And of course there is the dummy block to switch out if you wish.
Overall I am still very impressed with the finish and quality and the long grain where the ' magic' happens is perfectly seemless.

Upon looking back at this a day later with fresh eyes and attitude, I find myself less concerned about the wood grain discrepancy than I was initially. I tend to agree with those who have said that the majority of people won’t notice it. I believe it will fly by most people fine.

But I do think an end grain veneer would have been possible and I’m still puzzled as to why they didn’t try to match a real block exactly and eliminate any concern about it. Maybe they tried but it wouldn’t work or hold up. Just seems that with the huge amount of time and effort they claim went into the design and fabrication of this they could have solved any issues.

They’re other wooden product, Omamori, is made very similarly but it never bothered me with that because A) it’s much smaller so consequently less noticeable; and B) Omamori doesn’t pretend to be a plain block of wood. It’s a Japanese charm to protect and bring good luck, so it’s already thought to be something “special”.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
847 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The weight, appearance and intrinsic solidity of a brick of metal is more impressive than a piece of wood.

Producing a basketball from an empty paper bag is a good trick. Producing a bowling ball is stronger. My two cents.
Wayne Liew
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Wayne Liew
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The weight, appearance and intrinsic solidity of a brick of metal is more impressive than a piece of wood.

Producing a basketball from an empty paper bag is a good trick. Producing a bowling ball is stronger. My two cents.

Producing a block of steel MAY be stronger than producing a block of wood, visually.

In my opinion, turning a deck of cards into a block of wood is way more meaningful than turning it into a block of steel.

You prefer visual over meaning, that’s personal preference and Im not judging. That being said, I like Holy Wood better because there are more rooms for routines/plots. My 2cents.
Beauty grabs the eyes. Personality grabs the hearts.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
Quote:

I get your point and in some ways I agree but I don’t think your analogy is fair because unless you have significantly modified your IR routine, the metal block doesn’t appear in an empty card box in most spectators eyes. They almost universally view it as a penetration.

Whether a metal block appears more intrinsically solid than a wooden block is your subjective opinion not an absolute fact.

An argument could be made that because of the addition of the vanishing deck gimmick, the reveal of the wooden block could be more startling. In addition, the scripting of having playing cards return to their original form creates an interesting (and surprising) play on words, and that’s not nothing.

But I agree that the appearance of the heavy metal block is a surprising moment. But not surprising enough to lug it around IMO.
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
495 Posts

Profile of geggy
Hi Videoman,
You make a very solid point ( see what I did there?)
The end grain veneer is a great idea but maybe for technical reasons they didn't do it.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Industrial revelation works because the solid block of brass is heavy and its appearance, while incongruous, is startling. I never like the idea of a metal block just appearing in the card case with no real justification, at least none that I've ever heard that makes sense.

Further, most all penetration effects I can think of show the object being penetrated before the magical penetration happens. You see the girl is whole before entering the box, you see the bill whole before the pen goes through and so on whether it is a wall, a silk, or a card, the object is always shown first (I hedge because while I can't think of one presently, someone will inevitably come up with some penetration effect where the object isn't shown first, other than a variant of this trick of course). What I like about Holywood is the adaptation of the Paul Harris vanishing deck gimmick into the routine. This allows one to freely switch in the gimmick while being able to convincingly show the deck in the box.

The weight of IR is part of it's appeal. But that weight is also a liability in a couple of different ways. First, carrying the IR gimmick (and the metal phone gimmick) is difficult because of its weight. It will pull down and misshape pockets in any kind of light dressy material. I would imagine a belt holder must be necessary to carry it if one is to do it strolling, as it is a closeup trick.

Second, if one subscribes to the theory that magic is more powerful when done in the spectator's hands, then IR weight is again a disadvantage, as the Holywood block of wood change can happen in the spectator's hands.

In the above paragraph I mentioned the change happening in the spectator's hands, but what I really meant was the TRANSFORMATION happens in the spectator's hands. While it is a small point, the fact that cards are made of paper and paper is made from wood makes all the difference to the story making sense. Cards are shown in a box and then TRANSFORMED into wood, back to what they came from. The reasoning is simple and inherent.

IMHO, YMMV...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
758 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
The ad copy states, “ Comes with beautiful handmade block + 2 boxes with slit.”

Can anyone who owns this confirm if the Joker card gimmick that allows you to show a full deck of cards inside the box also included inside the package?
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
847 Posts

Profile of oombob
Good points by all. I do see the logic/ strength of the paper to wood story and by all accounts this seems a very well made product. I may take the plunge after all.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Phatmeat wrote:

Can anyone who owns this confirm if the Joker card gimmick that allows you to show a full deck of cards inside the box also included inside the package?

You get the wooden block, two card boxes with slits, and it’s worth noting that the slits are very precision made. They are not cut by hand with an exacto knife, they appear to be cut by a machine or laser or something. You get a small piece of sandpaper. You get THREE of the vanishing deck gimmicks. You do NOT receive ANY playing cards, jokers or otherwise. But it’s a nice touch that they supply 2 of the card cases. Most effects of this nature only supply a single case. And the 3 van deck gimmicks is also a nice touch.

You supply your own jokers or card of your choice. You attach the supplied gimmicks to your cards. They show the construction on the tutorial but I doubt anyone will need that. It takes a few seconds to make the gimmicked card.

The vanishing deck gimmicks look okay as is but appear a bit fake to me. I think they suffer from the too perfect theory. This is not a slam on Hanson's because most of the printed ones look too uniform and perfect. I like to embellish them just a bit using a ruler and pencil.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
758 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Thanks videoman, appreciate the helpful response!!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On May 6, 2021, oombob wrote:
Good points by all. I do see the logic/ strength of the paper to wood story and by all accounts this seems a very well made product. I may take the plunge after all.

That’s good to hear.
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Phatmeat wrote:

There is also a link at the top of the tutorial download page that takes you to a page to download a full sheet of vanishing deck gimmicks to print for yourself