The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..18..33..48..63..75~76~77~78~79~80~81 [Next]
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
If you're looking for good batman stories - check out Planetary/Batman Night on Earth, some of the Elseworlds stories such as The Doom that came to Gotham, or The Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight: Master Race. For Superman check out Jack Kirby's run on Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, or All Star Superman, or the Alan Moore Last Superman story Smile This material is twenty years+ old.

DC Comics has plenty of "A" material to bring to the movie theater. From the worlds visited in Swamp Thing, Kirby's Fourth World, The Dreaming... In comics Batman has met Grendel and also Judge Dredd. Twice. Then there's the Legion of Super Heroes in the far future... So much to enjoy.

I bought THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS back in '86 when they first came out. I have the 2nd printing of Vol 1 (before I knew it, the comic store only had second printings of that as the second vol was coming out), and first printings of the last 3 vols. I just bought a hardcover re-issue to read again. I don't want to mess with my originals.

I also bought a trade of YEAR ONE from Miller a few weeks ago, so I don't mess up my original single issues from the 80s.

I have a few Grendels from Comico from the 80s. Also Judge Dredd. I had no idea they met up with Batman. I also have the original 15 issues of MAGE from Comico. I didn't think anyone even remembered them.

Today, I just bought the ACTION COMICS 80 Years hardcover on the big auction site for a decent price -- much less than cover price.

As an aside, I've looked up what my old comics are worth. Most have been in plastic bags since the day I bought them in the 70s and 80s. Most have acid-free backing boards. I'll see a particulare comic go for several hundred bucks or even a thousand, and that same issue then go for less than $10. It seems you need to have them graded and slabbed to get the big bucks, with a 9.8 or above. I've kept good care of mine, but it's not worth the expense to spend $30 bucks to get a 9.4 or 9.6 and be lucky to get your money back! When I was 13, the comic book store owner had me and my friend convinced our comics would be worth millions 40+ years hence, lol, as he happily collected the extra nickel or dime for the plastic bag and backing board.

Then in the mid-80s, another comic store owner had us convinced that those non-DC and non-Marvels were the way to go. (That guy, Norm Abramoff, was one of the producers of THE HONEYMOONERS comic around 1986, and even appeared on JOE FRANKLIN with Joyce Randolph to promote it. This store was in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.) I'm still kicking myself for buying them, they're mostly in B&W. I do have some first printings of TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES that may be worth something. I tried to sell them in the 90s during their TV craze, but THAT comic book store owner told me that despite their popularity, the little kids didn't have money to spend -- so he turned me away and wouldn't buy them from me. Didn't even make an offer! I never gave a price -- just wanted to see if how much I could get.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5169 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good story WalterPlinge. Thank you.

I sold the majority of my collection back in the mid-eighties when I went to college and needed some spending money. I actually spent $50 for a table at a comic sale at Randall Park Mall in the Cleveland suburbs (then one of the largest malls in the country). I sold the majority of the collection to loan buyers, and then the balance to a seller for a package deal. I saved all of my no. 1's, which if I recall, were a lot of alternative titles. I haven't looked at the collection in decades, so I may have some winners in there, but I doubt it.

Since then, what I've learned in collecting comics, books, knives, and vintage magic is to never collect with speculation in mind. Always buy items that you love, and want to go back to later. That way, it won't matter if your collection has any monetary value, as it will always be priceless to you.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2022, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Good story WalterPlinge. Thank you.

I sold the majority of my collection back in the mid-eighties when I went to college and needed some spending money. I actually spent $50 for a table at a comic sale at Randall Park Mall in the Cleveland suburbs (then one of the largest malls in the country). I sold the majority of the collection to loan buyers, and then the balance to a seller for a package deal. I saved all of my no. 1's, which if I recall, were a lot of alternative titles. I haven't looked at the collection in decades, so I may have some winners in there, but I doubt it.

Since then, what I've learned in collecting comics, books, knives, and vintage magic is to never collect with speculation in mind. Always buy items that you love, and want to go back to later. That way, it won't matter if your collection has any monetary value, as it will always be priceless to you.

Yea, I agree. As a kid in the late 70s, I only bought what I wanted -- and they were only 35 cents a piece. (Big money back then, when I was 12 or 13, lol.) I really only specualted in my college years in the mid-80s. Bought multiple copies of some issues. Frankly, I didn't overspend, though. I really only was buying for a period of less than 2 years as a kid, then took a several year break, then about 3 years as an adult.

I have every one I ever bought. Only enough to fill 2 plastic bins the size of those old milk bottle boxes that people now use to store vinyl records in. There are a handful I could probably get big money for, if I had them professionally slabbed and graded, but that would be rubbing salt in my own wound if it didn't pay off. I still don't want to risk reading them, and am trying to keep them in great condition. Why? I haven't a clue, lol.

From what I've seen, I think you really needed to have been "in the industry" and had copies taken right off the production line that were immediately hermetically sealed and kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch. From what I've read, the tiniest crease in the binding, which they all got on the comic book store racks, decreases value just about exponentially. Unless you have rare stuff from the Golden Age.

Many years ago, I read an article in the paper about forgetting that comics you buy now (then, this was in the late 80s early 90s) will significanlty increase in value. The simple theory was that EVERYONE is doing the same thing -- buying and preserving. You need stuff from before the time that people knew it was going to be worth something. Think all those mothers who threw out that "junk" collection of comics in the attic -- the ones that contained Detective Comics #27, and Action Comics #1. Had people known back then, those wouldn't be worth that much, either? Who knew? Only the lucky few, I guess.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I offered some folks comic books. They play video games and watch anime. Bleach?

After decades delay The Silver Age issue 3 hits print. Smile

Or how about a Travels with Danny movie from the pages of Doom Patrol?

The Black Adam movie introduced Intergang; which in turn opens the door for Morgan Edge and Darkseid. IMHO they could do redo the animated Superman episodes in live action and 3D for an impressive Apocolypse war, sneaking in side characters for later use.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
I just looked it up -- I'm not familiar with THE SILVER AGE. I thought you were referring to a book collecting Silver Age comics, lol. After almost 85 years of comics with characters still with us, it's hard to keep up!

To get back on talking about the movies, I'm nowhere near an expert. For stuff in the last decade or so, I've seen the first AVENGERS, CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, 2 IRON MAN movies, 2 Bale BATMANs, and half of this year's THE BATMAN (couldn't get thru it!)

I didn't like any of the above BATMANs I mentioned. I did like the Marvels I mentioned. So there are about 50 I haven't seen, then, right? Smile

Way too much to keep up with. I passed the movie theater the other day -- they're showing the latest Marvel movie. I didn't recognize any of the characters.

In my mind, the 2 ground-breaking comic book movies of all-time were SUPERMAN (1978) and BATMAN (1989). I think they paved the way for what's being made today. Just my opinion, though. The general concensus back then, and probably today, was that SUPERMAN II was much better than the first one. I never bothered to watch SUPERMAN III. It seemed like just a Richard Pryor movie. SUPERMAN IV was watchable, but forgettable.

My biggest beef with the first 2 Reeve movies was Margot Kidder. Even my mother at the time remarked as we walked out of the theater, "Lois Lane is supposed to be beautiful!". 'Nuff said.

In this century alone, how many times have they re-booted the SPIDERMAN movies?

Whether it's the movies, or the comic books, it's gotten too overwhelming. These reboots only benefit the people paying attention at the time of the reboot. 5, 10, 20 years hence, we are all confused again! ha ha ha ha Well, at least I am!

Call me old-fashioned ("OK, you're old-fashioned") but I still love the 50s TV show with George Reeves. And the 40s Fleisher/Famous Studios Superman cartoons.

I never liked the Adam West BATMAN TV show when I was a kid. (I was too young during it's network run, but caught reruns in the early 70s.) I need to rewatch now to see if my opinion changes.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Walter asked: "how many times have they rebooted the spiderman movies",
there's been 3 spiderman versions this century, the sam raimi trilogy starring
tobey maguire, two andrew garfield films, and the current tom Holland.

You should give batman 66 another shot, it's one of the best three tv shows ever,
up there with "the young Indiana jones chronicles"(1992-93) and "smallville" (2001-11)
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2022, Fedora wrote:
Walter asked: "how many times have they rebooted the spiderman movies",
there's been 3 spiderman versions this century, the sam raimi trilogy starring
tobey maguire, two andrew garfield films, and the current tom Holland.

You should give batman 66 another shot, it's one of the best three tv shows ever,
up there with "the young Indiana jones chronicles"(1992-93) and "smallville" (2001-11)

My question about the SPIDERMAN reboots was actually rhetorical, lol. IMO, 3 versions is 2 too many.

Kudos to the person who wrote the lyrics to the BATMAN TV show theme (I love Neal Hefti's music in general - c.f. Count Basie).
"Batman... da da da da da da da...Batman.....da da da daa da da....Batman......."

Best 3 TV shows ever? I dunno, maybe:

THE TWILIGHT ZONE
SEINFELD
GET SMART

or maybe

THE HONEYMOONERS
BILKO
ALL IN THE FAMILY

or maybe

COLUMBO
THE AVENGERS
SHERLOCK HOLMES (Jeremy Brett)

or

THE ODD COUPLE
TAXI
THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW

:)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2022, WalterPlinge wrote:
I just looked it up -- I'm not familiar with THE SILVER AGE. I thought you were referring to a book collecting Silver Age comics, lol. After almost 85 years of comics with characters still with us, it's hard to keep up!

To get back on talking about the movies, I'm nowhere near an expert. For stuff in the last decade or so, I've seen the first AVENGERS, CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, 2 IRON MAN movies, 2 Bale BATMANs, and half of this year's THE BATMAN (couldn't get thru it!)

I didn't like any of the above BATMANs I mentioned. I did like the Marvels I mentioned. So there are about 50 I haven't seen, then, right? Smile

Way too much to keep up with. I passed the movie theater the other day -- they're showing the latest Marvel movie. I didn't recognize any of the characters.

In my mind, the 2 ground-breaking comic book movies of all-time were SUPERMAN (1978) and BATMAN (1989). I think they paved the way for what's being made today. Just my opinion, though. The general concensus back then, and probably today, was that SUPERMAN II was much better than the first one. I never bothered to watch SUPERMAN III. It seemed like just a Richard Pryor movie. SUPERMAN IV was watchable, but forgettable.

My biggest beef with the first 2 Reeve movies was Margot Kidder. Even my mother at the time remarked as we walked out of the theater, "Lois Lane is supposed to be beautiful!". 'Nuff said.

Whether it's the movies, or the comic books, it's gotten too overwhelming. These reboots only benefit the people paying attention at the time of the reboot. 5, 10, 20 years hence, we are all confused again! ha ha ha ha Well, at least I am!

Call me old-fashioned ("OK, you're old-fashioned") but I still love the 50s TV show with George Reeves. And the 40s Fleisher/Famous Studios Superman cartoons.

I never liked the Adam West BATMAN TV show when I was a kid. (I was too young during it's network run, but caught reruns in the early 70s.) I need to rewatch now to see if my opinion changes.

Margot Kidder was certainly not "glamorous," but she was still very pretty and came off as a hard nosed newswoman (who couldn't spell, for some reason).
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2022, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

Margot Kidder was certainly not "glamorous," but she was still very pretty and came off as a hard nosed newswoman (who couldn't spell, for some reason).

Well, when a woman (my mother) makes an observation like that, it is pretty telling. When I was 13, I didn't think Kidder was pretty. (Still not sure I would call her very pretty even today. But she was much younger then than I am now -- so YOWZA to be with someone like that now!) Superman's girlfriend needed to be gorgeous, not just sorta/kinda pretty. So I respectfully disagree. Someone like Lynda Carter woud have been better -- when she dressed with her dowdy clothing and glasses before she would turn into Wonder Woman. Remember, this was the late 70s, with the likes of CHARLIE'S ANGELS and the aformentioned WONDER WOMAN all the rage on TV.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Dark Knight Returns is my favorite Batman story.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2023, critter wrote:
Dark Knight Returns is my favorite Batman story.

Yea, I haven't read it since 1986 -- it's on my long list of "to read" again.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The Animated version of it was pretty good too. There's also an excellent fan film of it on the YouTube.
~Will Rogers
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
I had no idea they did an animated version of it. I need to look that one up.
thanks
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
For the most part I think DC does better with animation than live action. They've also done a terrific "The Long Halloween" as well as Miller's "Year One."
If you want something really different though I recommend The Soul of The Dragon, it's like a superhero version of Enter the Dragon and really captures that 70s kung fu vibe.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
This is the live action fan film, it really impressed me how accurate it was to the comics.

https://youtu.be/DZUGnRe37YE
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2022, WalterPlinge wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2022, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

Well, when a woman (my mother) makes an observation like that, it is pretty telling. When I was 13, I didn't think Kidder was pretty. (Still not sure I would call her very pretty even today. But she was much younger then than I am now -- so YOWZA to be with someone like that now!) Superman's girlfriend needed to be gorgeous, not just sorta/kinda pretty. So I respectfully disagree. Someone like Lynda Carter woud have been better -- when she dressed with her dowdy clothing and glasses before she would turn into Wonder Woman. Remember, this was the late 70s, with the likes of CHARLIE'S ANGELS and the aformentioned WONDER WOMAN all the rage on TV.

I'm going to have to disagree. Lois Lane has NEVER been "glamorous." Noel Neill, Phyliss Coats, Teri Hatcher. All "pretty," I don't see any of them as "glamorous."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
That's OK. We all have different tastes. Teri Hatcher was an early internet phenomenon, though. Most seemed to think she was a lot more than pretty.

Wow, I just discovered that Phyllis Coates is still with us at 95! I think she is/was beautiful. She started out as a showgirl.
When I became an adult, I found Noel Neill very attractive. She lived until 95! In WWII, she was the #2 pinup for GIs after Betty Grable.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2023, WalterPlinge wrote:
That's OK. We all have different tastes. Teri Hatcher was an early internet phenomenon, though. Most seemed to think she was a lot more than pretty.

Wow, I just discovered that Phyllis Coates is still with us at 95! I think she is/was beautiful. She started out as a showgirl.
When I became an adult, I found Noel Neill very attractive. She lived until 95! In WWII, she was the #2 pinup for GIs after Betty Grable.

Oh, they were ALL "attractive," I just don't think any of them were "glamorous."
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Well, I never used the word glamorous. I said beautiful.

Teri Hatcher was/is beautiful. She was also spectacular (or at least part of her was, as she claimed on SEINFELD) Smile And I just looked it up; she appeared at least twice on the cover of GLAMOUR magazine.

As I said, we all have different tastes.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I offered some folks comic books. They play video games and watch anime. Bleach?

After decades delay The Silver Age issue 3 hits print. Smile

Or how about a Travels with Danny movie from the pages of Doom Patrol?

The Black Adam movie introduced Intergang; which in turn opens the door for Morgan Edge and Darkseid. IMHO they could do redo the animated Superman episodes in live action and 3D for an impressive Apocolypse war, sneaking in side characters for later use.

"Intergang's" been introduced? Wow. I wonder if DC would consider a "B list" character; "The Rose and the Thorn?" Rose is a withdrawn girl whose father is killed by Intergang. She develops a secondary personality in "Thorn," an aggressive combination of Poison Ivy and Black Widow, who goes out and attacks Intergang agents. I liked her. I would make a few changes, say have the costume be an old "Poison Ivy" outfit that she's adapts, (the secret passage between her apartment and an abandoned costume store was just so... 70's lame.) and that Rose is already an accomplished martial artist, just too introverted to use it.