The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..73~74~75~76~77..79~80~81 [Next]
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2022, Orville Smith wrote:
Fantastic Four was great in the comics but in the movies it often hits a snag,as in this latest announcement.
https://thedirect.com/article/fantastic-four-marvel-d23-news

The best fantastic four is still the 1994 roger corman film,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN0FoR_FlZg
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2022, Fedora wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2022, Orville Smith wrote:
Fantastic Four was great in the comics but in the movies it often hits a snag,as in this latest announcement.
https://thedirect.com/article/fantastic-four-marvel-d23-news

The best fantastic four is still the 1994 roger corman film,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN0FoR_FlZg

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Just wanted to let you folks know that "professionals" starring smallvilles
tom welling premiers tomorrow October 11th on the cw, it also
co stars Brendan fraser.

Not really superhero related, but this shows marketing seems to
be around zero, I found out by chance.

Trailer,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JelGOeP11SE
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Maybe Black Adam will engage movie audiences.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/news/early-......g-right/
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anyone watching She Hulk? I thought it was refreshing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Yes Smile and looks like season 2 will happen.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh I thought since episode 1 they would renew it. They have something there.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Disney/Marvel is accused of plagiarizing art for Marvel's "Werewolf by Night" film.
https://dlnewstoday.com/2022/10/disney-a......-poster/
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Did anybody else attend DC's Black Adam premiere? I attended but not necessarily for the Titular character but mostly to see Doctor Fate who is one of my favorite DC heroes. Gratifying to see a DC film finally doing as good at the box office as that of a Marvel film.
To see Doctor Fate having those multiple bodies reminded me of the Thunderbolt-Genie from the Justice League comic I remember getting in the 1960s. Of course the circumstances of Doctor Fate's bodies in the Black Adam movie is different from the Genie situation but still remindful. The T-Bolt situation was when DC was gradually reviving heroes from the 1940s, so the T-Bolt was seen to originate from a Parallel Earth called Earth-Two on which reside all the 1940s heroes. The T-Bolt is a Genie, so he has a Master called Johnny Thunder. But this Johnny is too demanding at times, so T-Bolt got disgusted and transported to our Earth which is called Earth-One. If you really think about it, our Earth should be called Earth-Two instead of #One because #2 has the 1960 heroes, but that "mistake" is one which is accepted or tolerated, strangely enough.

The first time I saw Doctor Fate was in a 1960s DC comic and longed to see more of him because he had magical-type powers but was disappointed because during that period he appeared only once a year in the Justice League. Then I found out he had appeared in a revival previously in Showcase Comics, so I tried getting a back issue. Although I did not get his very first revival where he fought against Solomon Grundy but managed to get the one where he fought the Psycho-Pirate. As I was to find out later, Psycho-Pirate is a much better character because Solomon Grundy is simply a monster whereas Psycho-Pirate has the innovative power of causing people to feel any emotion he chooses, whether it's fear or envy or greed or pity,etc, then uses any particular emotion to disable the recipient of that emotion. That's why I remember that in one of my towns here one day, I ran across a beauty-salon whose name is Envy, the emotion of Envy, which instantly made me think of the Psycho-Pirate. I mean that bars use the term "Happy Hour," but this was the first time I saw the use of the word "Envy." Actually, the use of that word makes sense because the idea is that the beauty-salon will make the lady so beautiful as to provoke Envy.

But what I don't understand is when I went to a supermarket recently where the Apples have the brand name of "Envy." Although I readily understand the adjective's application to a beauty-salon but I shook my head about Apples.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Ninth season of DC's The Flash not in 2022.
https://bamsmackpow.com/2022/10/28/the-f......er-2022/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Yes Smile and looks like season 2 will happen.

Seems as if season 2 is in doubt.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Apparently "Stargirl" has been cancelled by the cw, it will end with
the currently airing 3rd season.

note, the cw was just purchased by nexstar media for $0, but
they had to assume all 100 million dollars of there debt.

No word yet on the fate of superman and lois.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Henry Cavill is back as Superman! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2022, Fedora wrote:
Apparently "Stargirl" has been cancelled by the cw, it will end with
the currently airing 3rd season.

note, the cw was just purchased by nexstar media for $0, but
they had to assume all 100 million dollars of there debt.

No word yet on the fate of superman and lois.

Season 9 seems to be it for The Flash as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2022, Orville Smith wrote:
Disney/Marvel is accused of plagiarizing art for Marvel's "Werewolf by Night" film.
https://dlnewstoday.com/2022/10/disney-a......-poster/

Ooops, can't say I'm all that surprised though.

If they're going to do "Werewolf By Night," I wonder if there's any chance they'll pick up the other "horror" titles; there was one for Frankenstein, another for a businessman who was turned into a Zombie, and "Tomb of Dracula," Frank Drake, Dracula's last descendant, sees Dracula revived and meets several people, including a old Johnathon Harker, joining up with them to defeat Dracula! (This was the book that introduced Blade. I have this distinct memory of Dracula biting Blade as a cliffhanger, in the letters column was; "Get rid of that j****e b****y, Blade! The book's too good to be ruined by him." with a comment by the editor; "We've always wondered if we'd be dismayed by a letter of praise. Now we know." The next issue, Harker was going to stake Blade, when Blade got up and showed that he hadn't been affected by Dracula's bite! I always wondered if that was a last minute editorial change based on the letter!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'd like to see DC do something with a minor character that never gets used any more, The Rose and The Thorn.

Rose's father is killed by the DC version of the Mafia (The 100). She's in massive depression during the day, and beats on the walls of her hospital room at night.

Finally released, she subconsciously picks up the mantle of "Thorn," and goes out fighting crime. (Thing being, "Rose" doesn't know any of this is going on.)

I would make a couple of changes for the film, one, the idea that Rose has no abilities, and Thorn is a fighting machine is foolish at best. I would make Rose a pacifist, who takes martial arts for the exercise, but hates competing. Thus, Thorn would have the skills, but no compulsion against using them on people.

I would also cut out the "secret passage to the abandoned theater," where sleep walking Rose finds the costume. I would just set up that she'd gone out one Halloween as Poison Ivy, and her father had been Batman.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

In the mean time - Superman meets Black Adam? Smile
And season 2 of The Sandman is in the works Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

@Ed, would Rose/Thorn work in Titans?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think she was an adult. So, probably not.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
In the mean time - Superman meets Black Adam? Smile
And season 2 of The Sandman is in the works Smile

Yea Sups and Adam seems just so boring to me. You are doubling down on the eternal problem with Supy. You now have two essentially indestructible characters that can’t really be in peril and it just becomes eternal violence. Nobody can write a compelling story for this. Stan Lee himself spoke of this conundrum with the Hulk.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus