The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..15..19..23..27..30~31~32 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You must offer lessons in how to talk down to strangers for no real reason other than a sense of pomposity...
I've asked to be banned
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1716 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
GoDice will do nothing to mentalism....
Bambo Spark did nothing to Impression device either....

Please stop crying about GoDice!
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Sweet. My Anverdi Mental Dice package has reached my local post office and delivery is expected today. Smile

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, paw wrote:

I agree, How many have credited Anverdi... the Originator..

As we’ve already found out, Anverdi isn’t the originator.

Now that it is quite clear that Tony Anverdi is not the original creator of an electronic dice used for magic/mentalism purpose, we can now happily put this issue to rest.

OK, to the best of my knowledge and understanding, the thought of creating a completely sealed miniature (16mm size) electronic Dice with a built-in rechargeable battery was first brought to us by Craig Filicetti of Promystic.

For quite some time nobody could beat the fully sealed dice with a built-in rechargeable battery by Promystic. Then Marc Antoine brought to us the 3 Dice version which could read the 3 dice simultaneously on a 3 digit digital readout. However, IMO, Marc Antoine's fully sealed dice is a copy of Craig's idea.

Now comes the 3 Dice version from Murphy's with a name stamp of Anverdi. By now we all know that this version is a copy of Promystic and DodyMagic. Won't it be prudent for us to ask Murphy's as to why Promystic and DodyMagic were not credited? Rather, on the contrary, Paw from Murphy's was insisting that others should credit Anverdi - I ask for WHAT?

IMO such hypocrisy from a giant distributor of magic props (Murphy's) must not be taken for granted. Rather I feel that Promystic and DodyMagic don't only deserve to be credited but they both need to be suitably compensated by Murphy's Magic for their intellectual creations.

Just my thoughts please.

Smile

Thank you 😊
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Adam Meier wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, Robb wrote:

GoDice = game over for electronic Mentalism (dice in particular)

Quote:

Why is it not occurring to people that if a company can release a three dice version with a display for $300, how hard would it be to offer a one die version with thumper (which is a cheaper device than display)? Electronic mentalism is doomed and I’m happy for it to be.

Maybe one day you will be experienced enough to understand that it is not about the props but the presentation. With the right presentation people will have no clue. Electronic or non-electronic does not matter. And I guarantee you, electronic mentalism is here to stay and will only expand.

Ya Robb is wrong as rain.

Electronic mentalism won’t be “doomed” or dead. Nope. These are just tools. It’s how you use them that matters most.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, videoman wrote:
I owned an RD from PM for a while but recently sold it because I was on a search for a visual readout. I’m sure I am in the minority (heck, I may be the only one) but I had a lot of trouble with reading the vibrations. The routine I would perform most often would involve 3 or 4 people and I almost always get one specs number wrong. It would be a large number and because I got the others all correct it still went over really well with a great impact. But it would bug the heck out of me when it happened so I felt no choice but to go visual.

For a single die in play, the PM style of signaling I think is perfectly adequate. Gets really messy when you're trying to get a read on more than 1 dice though.

As for your routine that you used the RD for, did you ever try to come up with a memory system to keep track of which spectator picked which number? Something along the lines of how Colin keeps track of responses from a line of spectators on stage he's doing Tequila Hustler for? His suggestion in the TH book addresses the exact issue you've encountered.

No, but I think you may have misunderstood me. There was no need to keep track of which spectator picked which number because I performed to each spec separately one after the other. But I have the TH book so I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Must have misunderstood you, so what were you doing to have like 1 miss out of 4? I've never missed with the original MD when I had and used that. Just simply not feeling the signal? I strapped mine to my inner forearm or a lot of times I had the receiver in my pocket and I would have a hand over the pocket when I'm getting the read.
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
Sweet. My Anverdi Mental Dice package has reached my local post office and delivery is expected today. Smile

Mark

same here!! super excited!
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Why is it not occurring to people that if a company can release a three dice version with a display for $300, how hard would it be to offer a one die version with thumper (which is a cheaper device than display)? Electronic mentalism is doomed and I’m happy for it to be.

Maybe one day you will be experienced enough to understand that it is not about the props but the presentation. With the right presentation people will have no clue. Electronic or non-electronic does not matter. And I guarantee you, electronic mentalism is here to stay and will only expand.

Ya Robb is wrong as rain.

Electronic mentalism won’t be “doomed” or dead. Nope. These are just tools. It’s how you use them that matters most.

Robb is way off base on this. Del Ray defined electronics but his presentations were spot on. I knew lay people as well as magicians who knew about the electronics but were still fascinated by the effect. Del was also the real deal with sleight of hand. I am really amazed how these type of comments keep floating around about magic. We have an Art that some are really good at while others have too much time on their hand to constantly offer negatives.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Quote:

Mark

ugh its delivered and I'm at work! day is going so slowwwwww
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:

Must have misunderstood you, so what were you doing to have like 1 miss out of 4? I've never missed with the original MD when I had and used that. Just simply not feeling the signal? I strapped mine to my inner forearm or a lot of times I had the receiver in my pocket and I would have a hand over the pocket when I'm getting the read.

Just found it difficult to count and still engage my spectators at the same time, especially with larger numbers. Very similar to how many magicians find it difficult to do simple math while performing. It was just a weird quirk of mine. I realize I’m in a small minority but for me the visual display isn’t just a benefit, it’s a necessity. But in my defense, I am a hobbyist and if I was performing it 20 or 30 times a week I'm sure I would have gotten the hang of it. But it’s something that cannot really be achieved through practice alone, you have to work it out in real world performances.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I've noticed that, as I've aged, my ability to do simple math in my head while ALSO carrying on a conversation has diminished to some degree. Which is why I structure any routine (that requires math calculations) in a manner that there is a period of quiet while the spectator is performing a task.

And such would be the case with a vibration/thumper receiver that potentially worked with all 3 dice. My routine would have the spectator(s) handling each die one at a time. I would give the instruction and then be silent while the spectator performed the task. Then the next die and the next die the same way.

Even if it only works with one die at a time, I'll be placing an order for the Murphy's Magic Anverdi vibration/thumper receiver the first day it is available to order. I've got my fingers crossed that Murphy's goes the extra mile with features.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Magicalos wrote:

Mine is "out for delivery". My postman usually gets here around 2:00pm.

I plan to take some high quality photos of the pieces. I'll post the photos on my photo site in a gallery that is hidden from search engines. But I will provide links here in this thread.

Mark
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:

Just found it difficult to count and still engage my spectators at the same time, especially with larger numbers. Very similar to how many magicians find it difficult to do simple math while performing. It was just a weird quirk of mine. I realize I’m in a small minority but for me the visual display isn’t just a benefit, it’s a necessity. But in my defense, I am a hobbyist and if I was performing it 20 or 30 times a week I'm sure I would have gotten the hang of it. But it’s something that cannot really be achieved through practice alone, you have to work it out in real world performances.

Totally agree with you here.
AndrewI
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of AndrewI
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, IAIN wrote:
You must offer lessons in how to talk down to strangers for no real reason other than a sense of pomposity...

Perhaps you could be a guest presenter!

Quote:
IAIN wrote:
Of ever we need a reminder that the mental state of consumerism is alive and well in magicians, just read this thread...

Out two days or so and already a load of magicians want more, more, more...thumper, 2.0, 3.0...

Whatever happened to enjoying what you have right now and coming up with routines and presentations other than roll a die, I know the number, thanks very much...

The constant fever of buying the next thing...it'll consume everything...

Enjoy what you have right now...

Suggesting ideas for additions or enhancements in a forum Latest and Greatest thread seems like a perfectly reasonable and useful use of one’s time I would have thought. Castigating people for doing so, on the other hand....
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1115 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Magicalos wrote:

Mine is "out for delivery". My postman usually gets here around 2:00pm.

I plan to take some high quality photos of the pieces. I'll post the photos on my photo site in a gallery that is hidden from search engines. But I will provide links here in this thread.

Mark

Mark,
Looking forward to seeing your pics. That's awesome of you to do so.
I have not purchased this. But I am getting very tempted to do so. Either way, I am excited.
It's cool of you to do this my friend.

Mike
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, AndrewI wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, IAIN wrote:

Perhaps you could be a guest presenter!

Quote:
IAIN wrote:
Of ever we need a reminder that the mental state of consumerism is alive and well in magicians, just read this thread...

Out two days or so and already a load of magicians want more, more, more...thumper, 2.0, 3.0...

Whatever happened to enjoying what you have right now and coming up with routines and presentations other than roll a die, I know the number, thanks very much...

The constant fever of buying the next thing...it'll consume everything...

Enjoy what you have right now...

Suggesting ideas for additions or enhancements in a forum Latest and Greatest thread seems like a perfectly reasonable and useful use of one’s time I would have thought. Castigating people for doing so, on the other hand....

It's not what latest and greatest is for...as for a being a guest presenter, I don't think your ego will allow it...

Why post up photos? There's already everything you need to see up on the site...
I've asked to be banned
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wow, what a BS thing to say. I'm plenty experienced and create some of the most unique and original presentations around. And as for the "right presentation" for these toys, I'd love to see yours. I'm sure it's super creative and intriguing.... Not.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1115 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Can everyone please stop.

Let’s all just move on.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1531 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, mikenewman wrote:
Can everyone please stop.

Let’s all just move on.

That’s exactly what I was thinking, there seems to be more and more bickering on here than ever. Maybe there should be a new topic set up just for that.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4204 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, paw wrote:

I agree, How many have credited Anverdi... the Originator..

As we’ve already found out, Anverdi isn’t the originator.

Now that it is quite clear that Tony Anverdi is not the original creator of an electronic dice used for magic/mentalism purpose, we can now happily put this issue to rest.

OK, to the best of my knowledge and understanding, the thought of creating a completely sealed miniature (16mm size) electronic Dice with a built-in rechargeable battery was first brought to us by Craig Filicetti of Promystic.

For quite some time nobody could beat the fully sealed dice with a built-in rechargeable battery by Promystic. Then Marc Antoine brought to us the 3 Dice version which could read the 3 dice simultaneously on a 3 digit digital readout. However, IMO, Marc Antoine's fully sealed dice is a copy of Craig's idea.

Now comes the 3 Dice version from Murphy's with a name stamp of Anverdi. By now we all know that this version is a copy of Promystic and DodyMagic. Won't it be prudent for us to ask Murphy's as to why Promystic and DodyMagic were not credited? Rather, on the contrary, Paw from Murphy's was insisting that others should credit Anverdi - I ask for WHAT?

IMO such hypocrisy from a giant distributor of magic props (Murphy's) must not be taken for granted. Rather I feel that Promystic and DodyMagic don't only deserve to be credited but they both need to be suitably compensated by Murphy's Magic for their intellectual creations.

Just my thoughts please.

Smile

Amen. Nothing to add.

Don't get me wrong, but as an owner of PM's really expensive RD (rechargeable, super good and so reliable... no fails in almost 6 years) which I bought more than 5 years ago (and in those days they have not been many users of it, for some time I was one of only three guys in Germany using it...)you don't feel really well. I didn't mind to pay a lot for it. It was something exclusive, and it was kept out of hands of kids, kids with no knowledge or any performance experience. It was not a toy.

In addition you can expect soon thousands of users who will play the plain trick to death. I was using the dice in just one (and only one!) routine; the dice itself was not important at all, just a tool for a non-verbal communication between a couple... and at the end they got the dice (after a sw...h of course) as a little gift (packed in a small transparent plastic bag with my name and address on it) for trying or training more at home...

I remember also well some users in the past asking for a big shell to put in the little dice, to make the dice bigger, easier to use on stage. That was already horrifying... people using the dice without thinking about it, giving the dice an importance you never should... all that will increase now.

And now add the "GoDice", coming soon... as I write, I see that they collected already the sum of 206,331 Dollar on kickstarter (goal was 25,000 Dollar), they got already 2058 supporters...

For me, the dice or the use of THIS dice, although so unimportant in my routine, are dead as I do not use toys as gimmicks in my show. I feel sorry in particular for Craig of PM, he doesn't deserve it. But I will continue and replace it... the replacement is almost ready, following Al Baker's advice: Look around what others do and what many of them do - turn away and don't do it.

And for now, I will leave this children's playground. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de