The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Phoenix by Higar & Hanson Chien (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Quote:
On May 7, 2024, threadman77 wrote:

You ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT leave this with a spectator. They will ABSOLUTELY find the secret.

I would disagree with this statement. Have it in my hands. Was a little wary when I first watched the tutorial, but have used a few already in practice and would have no problem letting a spectator handle the bill after the restoration. Not performing in a bright light would help, but as long a light is not shining down directly on bill, this method seems pretty great to me. Hope cheaper refills will become available.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
On May 9, 2024, SlipperySnake wrote:
Quote:

You ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT leave this with a spectator. They will ABSOLUTELY find the secret.

I would disagree with this statement. Have it in my hands. Was a little wary when I first watched the tutorial, but have used a few already in practice and would have no problem letting a spectator handle the bill after the restoration. Not performing in a bright light would help, but as long a light is not shining down directly on bill, this method seems pretty great to me. Hope cheaper refills will become available.

You're talking about a "quick" look at the bill. I'm talking about "leaving" it with the spectator, as some have suggested.

I would bet most folks could discover the secret in under 30 seconds of examination.

David Copperfield didn't look overly impressed with the trick.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
I'm only familiar with Vanni Bossi's method and I would not give the bill away.

And, maybe it's just me, but Copperfield and Dynamo are pros and they know how to behave.

Mike
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6788 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 6, 2024, threadman77 wrote:
The creator "discoverd" this gaff, he didn't create it. So that means others should eventually discover it, and I'm guessing those refills will be incredibly cheaper than $1.50 each!

I don’t know if we know that for sure yet. Besides, there is nothing wrong with that IMO. It is fairly common to repurpose an existing item for use in a magic trick. After all, the material most likely did have to sourced in quantity and customized for the different types of currency.

AFA examining the bill, the vast majority of spectators are going to examine it for far less than 30 seconds. If they don’t see or feel anything after their first close look then they’re usually not going to continue to examine it, and for the few who might want to do that, just don’t let them. Ask for the bill back or go on to something else. If there is more than one spectator it will usually get passed around pretty quickly.

Do you own this Threadman?
If not, from the tone of your posts you seem to have something against it.

I’m still waiting weeks now to receive it from T11 and after I’ve seen and handled it in person I very well may agree with your statements but I’m reserving judgement until I actually have it. I am holding out hope that it lives up to their claims. Based on reviews I’ve seen I feel pretty confident it will be deceptive enough to pass muster. I seriously doubt anyone will ask to keep the bill so it will be entirely up to me whether I offer it to them to keep, which would depend entirely on the situation.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
On May 9, 2024, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On May 6, 2024, threadman77 wrote:
The creator "discoverd" this gaff, he didn't create it. So that means others should eventually discover it, and I'm guessing those refills will be incredibly cheaper than $1.50 each!

I don’t know if we know that for sure yet. Besides, there is nothing wrong with that IMO. It is fairly common to repurpose an existing item for use in a magic trick. After all, the material most likely did have to sourced in quantity and customized for the different types of currency.

AFA examining the bill, the vast majority of spectators are going to examine it for far less than 30 seconds. If they don’t see or feel anything after their first close look then they’re usually not going to continue to examine it, and for the few who might want to do that, just don’t let them. Ask for the bill back or go on to something else. If there is more than one spectator it will usually get passed around pretty quickly.

Do you own this Threadman?
If not, from the tone of your posts you seem to have something against it.

I’m still waiting weeks now to receive it from T11 and after I’ve seen and handled it in person I very well may agree with your statements but I’m reserving judgement until I actually have it. I am holding out hope that it lives up to their claims. Based on reviews I’ve seen I feel pretty confident it will be deceptive enough to pass muster. I seriously doubt anyone will ask to keep the bill so it will be entirely up to me whether I offer it to them to keep, which would depend entirely on the situation.

In the teaching video it says that these gimmicks might look like your basic _______, but it was discovered by Higar.

My point wasn't the fact that he was repurposing something for a magic trick. My point was that sooner or later others will probably find the source making the trick much more affordable with refills.
At best it costs you $2.00 everytime you perform it. They suggest using 2 gimmicks. That's $4.00 everytime you perform it. Nobody is using this in walkaround.

My other point was addressing the dialogue that has been shared and even used in promotional campaigns, where folks make it sound like you can actually let the spectator go home with the bill.

It is also advertised - "Immediately hand it out for close inspection"
I would say the word "close" here is subjective.

My biggest issue is when you are restoring the bill, it looks like you are doing exactly what you are doing - massaging and sticking the ripped pieces back together. No magical wave or gesture - you are physically working that thing.

Yes, I bought it - against my better judgement.
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Quote:
On May 9, 2024, threadman77 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're talking about a "quick" look at the bill. I'm talking about "leaving" it with the spectator, as some have suggested.

I would bet most folks could discover the secret in under 30 seconds of examination.

David Copperfield didn't look overly impressed with the trick.

Do you actually have the item? If so, did you watch the tutorial on how to prepare it? Last night I put a gimmicked bill that was "restored" along with 3 other bills and gave them all to my fiance. Asked her to tell me if there was a difference between any of the bills besides the serial numbers. She didn't find anything...
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:

Do you actually have the item? If so, did you watch the tutorial on how to prepare it? Last night I put a gimmicked bill that was "restored" along with 3 other bills and gave them all to my fiance. Asked her to tell me if there was a difference between any of the bills besides the serial numbers. She didn't find anything...

And this proves what exactly?

Mike
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of threadman77
[quote]On May 9, 2024, tenchu wrote:
Quote:

Perform the trick for her, then give her the bill and ask if she can find anything Smile
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Quote:
On May 9, 2024, tenchu wrote:
Quote:

And this proves what exactly?

Mike

That I disagree with this statement... - You ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT leave this with a spectator. They will ABSOLUTELY find the secret. -
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
[quote]On May 9, 2024, threadman77 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perform the trick for her, then give her the bill and ask if she can find anything Smile

I did two nights ago. Did the puncture and restore, handed it to her to examine, then told her I could do something else cool with it. Took the bill back and used it to perform a bill switch from a dollar to $100.

Last night I used the restored bill with three others to told her to examine and tell me the difference.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Ah yes. Anecdotal evidence.

Mike
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2896 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Oh c'mon, no need to be so condescending, Mike. This is a great discussion so far, with good and interesting arguments from both sides. Let's keep it that way. I for one enjoy it and it helps me in making up my mind about this.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Is there a problem with my argument?

Mike
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
Ah yes. Anecdotal evidence.

Mike

As opposed to what, a published, peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled trial? Of course it's anecdotal evidence - that's the only type of evidence there could possibly be regarding the strength of a newly released magic effect. This is the goofiest post I've ever seen.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
It's pretty goofy to state that it can be examinable when -- just like you said -- it's a newly released magic effect.

Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On May 10, 2024, AutarchicFlux wrote:
As opposed to what, a published, peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled trial?

Not really, as that's pretty extreme.

Mike
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2896 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On May 10, 2024, tenchu wrote:
Is there a problem with my argument?

Mike

No, with your wording and your tone of voice. But Flux made that clear in a very funny way.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On May 10, 2024, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
your tone of voice.

I suggest getting a more pleasant text to speech generator.

Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
But Flux made that clear in a very funny way.

Yes, it was absolutely hilarious. I'm still laughing.

Mike
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On May 10, 2024, tenchu wrote:
Quote:
But Flux made that clear in a very funny way.

Yes, it was absolutely hilarious. I'm still laughing.

Mike

Touch grass, Mike.