The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Party animal dvd - short review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
mjdowden
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of mjdowden
Hi Everyone,

I know this is an old thread so no one will probably read it, but I just thought I'd let you all know that I'm selling my lecture notes online through PayPal.

They contain brand spanking new material plus my thoughts on how to get a residency, how to build a crowd at a trade show and finally how to get the best reaction.

If you're interested please feel free to private message me.

All the best

Matthew
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1571 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Somebody needs to get these notes LOL. It's Matthew Dowden for heavens sake. It's gotta be good stuff, just check out the party animal set. Picking mine up on payday.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Looks like I'm bringing this thread to life. I just got this dvd set last week. And for me being a worker, this THE BEST set I have purchased in years!

I instantly fell in love with his bold deck ditching routines. I quickly added the technique to my ambitious card to mouth. The misdirection is sooo strong that causing the deck to vanish is just the perfect ending! This has totally given me some of the best reactions in quite some time at my restaurant.

His personality is very charming and entertaining. It brings a breath of fresh air to a live performance dvd. I have become so sick of watching either $30 one trick dvds or crotch magic dvds where magic is filmed at the waste and taught that way too. Matthew was very fun to watch and taught everything well. They certainly put a lot of hard work into this set. I will definitely be getting more from Matthew and Russ in the future!

By the way, that lucy girl was incredible! hehe...

Brian
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Brian, you;re right on the mark about this DVD set. It's rare these days to get a set of what they call 'workers'. And it's filmed live in a bar without fake reactions. I wish other creators and producers would watch this set to see how it should be done.
~Joe
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Brian,

Great to hear that you enjoyed the DVD's.

Although I shot and edited the DVDs, Peter Nardi at Alakazam deserves full credit for producing the entire project to such a high standard and making sure it was filled with great material that workers will use. Matthew is, in my opinion, one of our best workers here in the UK and as you can see from Party Animal, the ladies seem to love him (which in a magician seems rare!).

You may also be interested to know that I've just finished the edit on a brand new project under the rsvpmagic banner, starring Wayne Dobson. Of more interest to you, may be the fact that one of the three featured magicians is Matthew J. Dowden, who along with Mark James and Michael J. Fitch. They all did a superb job of translating Wayne's stage and cabaret material into close-up situations. You can see the teaser trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rsvpmagic

I expect this to be ready in about four weeks, so watch for the set at your favorite dealers!

Best,
Russ
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Nice one Russ.

Looks like this is going to one of your best yet. Dobbo is brilliant.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2441 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
I love Party Animal - one of the best DVD sets ever produced.

Anything by Matthew Dowden is brilliant - I got a chance to see his Striking Vanish in person a while back and it was mind blowing.

I can't wait to see the new Wayne Dobson set it sounds great.

Craig
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
This is with one of the best DVD's ever produced, one of my all time favourites, great material, great magician.

I think I have watched this more than any other DVD sicne I have had it. I love this type of material. It is real magic that gets great reactions and will work for any group of people.

Top stuff. I cannot reccomend this enough.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
After reading all this stuff how can one not get this?
miker50
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of miker50
I already added this one to my cart at Penguin....I am looking forward to it!!
Mike
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Funnily enough, I pulled this out the other day for reference purposes. It is a really good dvd. Some nice twists on old plots and some fun new ones as well. Matthew is an excellent performer.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Look forward to seeing Matthew on the Dobson set.
Nadzri.Harif
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Nadzri.Harif
Sorry to bump this up, but I thought another review was necessary. it is a great resource.

This DVD was released almost 5 years ago (2007 I think?) and the material still holds true.

Commercial routines jam packed with good presentations.

The routines have been discussed in the previous pages, so I won't touch on them.

Apart from the effects and pro tips from Matthew, you get to see a real worker in action. How he handles the spectators is a lesson in its own. There's even a shot with a slightly rowdy all male bunch, and Matthew handles it like a pro.

For a walk around worker, this is probably one of the best investments you can get.

-Nadzri
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3102 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Worth the bump, totally agree with Nadzri. I have had this set since it came out, still one of my favorites. Really good for getting a look at entertaining real people and how real people react.
Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Brandon Sheffield
Couldn't agree more! One of my favorites! So many great effects and the price is way cheaper than what I would have sold it for!

Brandon