The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: T.U.C Tango Ultimate Coin (48 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..56~57~58~59~60..72~73~74 [Next]
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
982 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
I've been doing flash coins with Morgan's using my Oxf, then after showing the three Morgan
Coins appear back I n the coin purse I go directly into coins across using my TUC Morgan taught by mr tango on his dvd. Question for the coin masters. I've been randomly producing the fourth Morgan I would need. It does not feel quite right reaching into the air and producing the Morgan. Does anyone have any advice on a good way of coming up with the 4th coin. essentially I need to get the TUC Morgan into play
Thanks for any advise! I highly recommend TUC and OXF.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
One approach is to have for coins in the first place -- perhaps by having a spectator dump them out of an Okito Box.

Then three are handed to you. Surly you can switch in the TUC during the hand off. Later you can retrieve the fourth coin for other effects.

"TUC Appreciation" has several methods for switching in the TUC.

The one prompting the most feedback is using Roth's Chink-a-Chink first with four "handled" coins. In the natural flow of the presentation the e*tra coin is left on the table -- the TUC.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
982 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Wow very cool. Thank you sir! I've got to get that book soon
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
I'm still working on using the gimmick deceptively, but it is very good apparatus. However, the instructional DVD does not compare favorably to my other magic videos; it is more of a "showing video" rather than a "teaching video." The English is dubbed in; I would have preferred sub-titles.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
Well, Griz, most of the most "deceptive" effect are not on video at all. Welcome to the Café

Since being deceptive is "of the imagination" -- if you can't imagine in your mind how it will look to a spectator, rotate it around and look at it from different angles, etc.,
how will it ever create astonishment in a spectator's mind?

I guess I don't understand "compare favorably" to other magic videos. Why is that a standard to be sought?

How does learning from a video compare with learning by other means such as Mentoring?

My point is that learning "deception" which is admirable has little to do with learning the trick.

and, if your objective is to be entertaining, deception is not the most important factor. Some of my "best" effects for the TUC are too deceptive to appeal to a general audience.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
I did not mean deceptive WRT the effect itself, but rather opening the gaff without visible contortions. Even under the cover of movement the manipulation of the unseen gaff is visible in my tri-fold practice mirror. I'll eventually figure out how to do it without the hint of suspiciousness. It is likely to take me a long time because I've just rededicated myself to close-up magic and my hands ain't what they used to be.

>>>I guess I don't understand "compare favorably" to other magic videos. Why is that a standard to be sought?

Clarity. If you are going to call something an "Instructional Video" it should be instructional, not an opportunity to reverse engineer.

In my recent viewing I'll offer my instructional video grading: David Roth vol 1, 2, 3 - A-1 Magical Media (C+/B), Troy Hoosier, DesTROYers - Bob Kohler (B), Luohanqian - Unknown producer (A++). All of those videos do a good job of instruction, but without question the Lohanqian video was a premier example of good shot planning, good lighting, good camera work, good post-production, and a capable instructor.

The grades have nothing to do with the skill level of the instructional video instructor.

I create instructional videos, so my standards are high.

Can you learn from the videos that come with the TUC? Yes. The more accomplished the magician, the easier the task. I'm not sure that a beginner could learn from the videos. Of course, I'd rather perfection be applied to the manufacture of the apparatus than the perfection of the videos, but I'd prefer perfection in both.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
I understand you position better now, but not why you think ANY video is essential to learning how to use this gaff effectively.

They can be valuable tool, and easier for some to learn from than other methods, but hardly essential.

But I agree that if you thought you were getting Instructional video you might be disappointed.

Marcello knew very little English before inventing the TUC. He learned this language specifically to be able to tour the world and market this device.

Before that most of the instructions that came with Tango gimmick were almost unreadable.

They are so much better now, and I am happy to have been part of that transition.

Not an excuse, just "clarifying" why we are fortunate to have any video at all.

Given the weirdness of the Argentine economy I really don't see how he survives.

griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
I wish I could share the Luohanqian instructional video, it is a thing of beauty. Luohanqian is a nice set of Chinese coins, shells, and a jumbo that comes with an instructional video. IMO, the set is worth the $$$ just to see the video. Of course, we all know a thousand places to learn the effects taught, but the video is just a joy to watch.

Bottom line: I like my Tango coins and may buy the CSB today.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
982 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Hey griz326. I've had my TUC Morgan now for A few months. I've been into mentalism for last 15 years so sleight-of-hand is something that doesn't come as easy to me. I have been practicing the way Mr. Tango opens the TUC and it does take a little bit of practice, however; I assure you Your spectators will not see you open it once you have the Move down. I bought my TUC Morgan solely to perform the coinss across routine based on Roths winged silver. The routine is working great with my audiences. there's a lot being hidden in the larger or bigger movements. Your practice mirror will see things your audience will not.
Hope this helps.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
"T.U.C. Appreciation" explores additional ways of opening the TUC.

Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
I'm pretty much a complete beginner with coins and found it easy to learn from the instructional videos. They show everything they need to show and are very straightforward. It's actually refreshing to not have some over wordy instructor.
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Is it available in euro?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, Wenzelo wrote:
Is it available in euro?

Yes -- several .

contact Mr. TAngo

Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, Wenzelo wrote:
Is it available in euro?

Yes -- several .

contact Mr. TAngo

thanks for info
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have TUC and I think it is one of those gimmicks that will fade over time. I used it a bit for a while and then it ended up in the back shelf.

There is so much good magic that can be done with sturdier, longer lasting props.

I would rather have a good ol sh*ll or fl*pp*r.

KJ
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2365 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
What's not sturdy or long lasting about a TUC?

And a "good ol" fl*pp*r or sh*ll won't have its m*gn*t*c properties.

It's just another tool in the bag. Whether better or worse depends on what you want to do.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I still love mine..
Todd
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
What's not sturdy or long lasting about a TUC?

And a "good ol" fl*pp*r or sh*ll won't have its m*gn*t*c properties.

It's just another tool in the bag. Whether better or worse depends on what you want to do.

I have just found that by using it frequently, it no longer functions smoothly. With occasional maintenance on the fl*pp*r it is always good as new. My favorite is the x-sh*ll. I do take reasonable care of them, and I have never even had to repair one.

I find the same problem with many Johnny Wong coins. They function great for a while, then they stop functioning so smoothly after a while.

To each his own, but I've noticed that people who perform for decades tend to gravitate to the same props I have gravitated to.

KJ
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
982 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Hi kj, have you replaced the teflon material? I use many gaff coins, many from top guys out there, TUC being one of them
I find if you replace the Teflon its sort of like giving the car an oil change and tune up.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks Justin, that is a good suggestion, and no, I have not. Where do you purchase Teflon?

I will do that, but I have since developed several routines that are very entertaining using Hopping Halves, Double Deception, e-sh*lls, and fl*pp*r coins. I find these coins require less maintenance.

KJ