The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13..23..33..43..53~54~55~56~57..70~71~72 [Next]
synth_infusion
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of synth_infusion
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 20:03, bugjack wrote:
This guy has a nice impromptu version of "Growing Card."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2nNbyr8f8

Oh wow I didn't know you posted this here.

Heres the new link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_9gK-CyxY
Medortho
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Medortho
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 15:42, Lemniscate wrote:
I am fascinated by the posts here, in particular:

1.) The posts from people who decided to get TA from another site (reaping rewards from that site) now asking/begging/pleading to get the rewards from people who bought from TAP.

Regarding 1.), I have ZERO compassion for these people. These are the same TYPE of people who were too stupid to understand what VARIABLE rate mortgages were and led to our current economic crisis. It is my deep-seated desire that they never get access to the private TA forums. Ever.

Lem, calm down for a second, let's not start being prejudiced... One can't just say that everyone who didn't buy from TAP right from the beginning is stupid and has to be punished. Now don't misunderstand me, I also didn't buy from TAP and I'm also okay if access to further Forums for TA is just given to those who did, but irrespectively, I'm ain't a bad person Smile

See, e.g. in my case, I didn't bought directly from TAP because I live in germany and I have a good relation to my magic-dealer who takes care of all shipping inconveniences for me as long as I order stuff with his help. As I like to be a creative mind myself and am a person who really likes to contribute ideas I would definately like to take part in such forums, yet I won't beg for it but just accept it if I get rejected for not being one of the first purchasers to enjoy a VIP-status. But please, don't just go ahead and pigeonhole everyone of those non-VIPs. (pigeonhole...? Smile I googled that phrase, sorry if that sounded weird)

No mean to offend, I hope you understand my part of this.

greetz
~Le0n
Skylippo
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Skylippo
Going back to the Twilight Angel deck for a sec...I just wanted to throw out a couple reservations I had. First, TA will start to lose it's awe factor when magicians start overplaying it. Everyone will be carrying these g**** out of some restaurant or corporate gig. Having so many at our disposal and the trick being so strong yet so simple will have amatuers and hacks running this into the ground. Second, some of us will undoubtly start using the full deck of galavanting cherubs in some ridiculous routine, again thereby diminishing the value of the g***. I'm actually opposed to their production, but if they are, I'll definitely be somewhere near the front of the line, cash in hand. For $25 I can do TA all night long. Dangerous, no?
FrenchFryNecromancer
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of FrenchFryNecromancer
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 20:29, Skylippo wrote:
Second, some of us will undoubtly start using the full deck of galavanting cherubs in some ridiculous routine, again thereby diminishing the value of the g***.

Personally, I doubt many people would create an effect using the full deck. That's just my opinion. Also, with every great trick you run the risk of someone performing the trick poorly or performing it into the ground. This one is a gem, certainly, and I don't want it ruined anymore than the next guy. However, I am of the opinion the rewards of us being able to purchase the deck (and therefore do the handout) outweigh the potential hazards.

Besides, I like having lots of back-ups. For example, I bought about 40 decks of Bicycles to keep in my closet, because then when I practice Torn, I don't feel so bad about ripping the cards up.... I know I have a truck-load of decks still available to me. Of course you don't tear the card in the Twilight Angels illusion (that might be an idea to consider though!)... but I would still feel less nervous practicing the trick and handling the card if I wasn't worried about wearing out the few copies of it that I have.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 15:42, Lemniscate wrote:
I am fascinated by the posts here, in particular:

1.) The posts from people who decided to get TA from another site (reaping rewards from that site) now asking/begging/pleading to get the rewards from people who bought from TAP.

2.) The people complaining about a lack of activity on the TA private forum. In particular, I call BS on Steven. His entire post is either self-delusion or outright lies. AND I will explain why.

Regarding 1.), I have ZERO compassion for these people. These are the same TYPE of people who were too stupid to understand what VARIABLE rate mortgages were and led to our current economic crisis. It is my deep-seated desire that they never get access to the private TA forums. Ever.

In regards to 2. I am utterly perplexed. There have been 480 posts on specific tricks, including new ideas, new approaches, and other applications of the effects. 82 posts about the secret cookies alone (not counted in the 480 above), 61 posts about letting other people into the private forums (most of which are OPPOSED to letting other people in), 63 posts on suggestions for the TA forum, etc.

The refills question/issue has three subtopics within the "True Astonishments" topic. Total number of replies? 13. Yup, 13. The last one being Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:58am. So I don't even get the refill comment.

To address a few more specific details:
Steven Leung seems to be upset that nobody is commenting on what he shared. This seems a valid criticism until you learn the following. He's only made 6 posts, TOTAL, on the forum. 2 of which had to do with whether to allow people to join the forum (he is opposed and raises good points). 2 more are in the review section, one of which simply repeated the first sentence of his Dunn's Deal review from HERE, the second is his experience with Reset plots. Ok, so far, NONE of his posts have anything to discuss further. Oh wait, a third review of Water Trap which also merely repeats his first 3 sentences from HERE.

Ok, so he must have a really big discussion grabber for his last of 6 posts to justify him saying what he did here, right? Let's see...

It was his idea about the disk 9 interview. Hey, let's see how he starts his post:
Quote:
I do not watch the interview in Disc 9 yet
. Hmmmm, he is upset because nobody is discussing something with him even though he hadn't even watched the interview yet??? WTF?! Ok, he must finish strongly with something that will want to make people respond immediately, let's see:
Quote:
I will try to post my thought after I watch the final interview.

He never did, and that post was from Feb.

So, you see, I'm really curious what "thoughts" he thinks warrant discussion. Personally, I think people are whining for no reason. A small amount of research (4 minutes) demonstrated how he offered NOTHING to stimulate discussion, despite his

Quote:
Besides, I posted a few thoughts about some effects and no one will continue to discuss it further. It just make me feel frustrated to post anything there again...

Hey man, if those first 6 posts are any indication of the "thoughts about some effects", not sure if you not posting anything is going to be missed.

I don't mean to single you out, Steven, but I call BS on everything you said and proved it. I, on the other hand, have offered SEVERAL REAL IDEAS on effects in that forum and, guess what, people responded. It's amazing how it works.

Sorry but I just hate it when people outright lie about stuff like this. And, in my book, liars deserve to be exposed.

I think some great ideas have been shared. I think it will take time of actually performing stuff out in the real world before we get the next burst of activity but you all understand me when I say I hope it is MUCH DIFFERENT than the "thoughts" Steven shared so far. Don't get me wrong, I hope he actually shares thoughts but so far, he hasn't.

Lem

I am quite surprise my little 2 cents lead you to collect all my data in the TA forums and try to eliminate my future posts in that particular forum.

Magicians helping magicians, huh? Do not worry, the world will be the same with or without your response to my comment on recent post.

Thanks for your comments. I still believe that we have things to learn from each other though.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I just received my set of TA. Wow after reading all the posts here and really getting hyped I was ready for a little bit of a let down. It did not happen. Of course I cannot speak for the the entire contents yet as I only played a small part of disc one Twilight Angels but I must say that the way the whold package seems to be set up is "FIRST CLASS". Will the effects be FIRST CLASS? I can only answer that one way. It is my job as a perfromer to make it first class...I am sure that what this set contains is excellent magic presented in a very professional way. I realize that at this point I cannot make a full evaluation but from what I have read here, much from people whom I put a lot of trust into what they say I am sure I am going to be more than pleased.

Now, how many here think Paul Harris reminds them of the singer from "Peter Paul and Mary"? I forget his name but I believe it is Stuky or something close to that.

Also the whole way this set seems to be done puts it back in a mood of that time (Peter Paul an Mary Era.), with magic that is really magic on a personal level. Not a motorcycle disappearinig and the Statue of Liberty disappearing in front of millions of television viewers, but real magic that touches the spectator, not magic tricks or editing. Sorry to ramble but I know I am really going to enjoy what has been called by many here a "magical journey".
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1526 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Quote:
On 2009-03-31 20:41, Tim Trono wrote:
I am wondering what the interest would be to having a full deck (all different cards), Red Back Bicycle Twilight Angel cards. If the demand is there we (Paul) can examine a print run. My guess is a deck would cost about $25 (not 100% sure). That allows one to do it 56 times with various cards (jokers and all regular cards). Please let me know so we can get an idea of the interest.

Tim

yes tim!
we don't all want to be doing it with two's do we?
any update on this mate?
thanks
matt
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Anyone see the review of the True Astonishment DVD set in MAGIC magazine?

Robert
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I didn't -- been meaning to pick it up. How did they rate it?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Any word on less expensive Twilight Angel Refills?

Also any word on the possibility of multiple choice refills?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
641 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 10:43, acesover wrote:
Any word on less expensive Twilight Angel Refills?

Also any word on the possibility of multiple choice refills?

Echo.

I'm really interested in the refill Twilight Angels deck as well.

I've been performing Twilight Angels and I'm in love with the effect. Would definitely dig a refill deck.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 21:12, bugjack wrote:

It's probably best to pick up a copy of the April, 2009 MAGIC magazine and read the whole review. Brad Henderson gave it a lukewarm endorsement, but Jon Lovick's part of the review was more favorable.

Robert
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 13:15, Redsixer wrote:
Patrick Snowden does have amazing posts! And how about Tensegrity, I could listen to Patrick explain things all day long. Such a wonderful sounding voice.

I have the same feeling about Eric Mead's voice!
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 12:35, Robert M wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 21:12, bugjack wrote:

It's probably best to pick up a copy of the April, 2009 MAGIC magazine and read the whole review. Brad Henderson gave it a lukewarm endorsement, but Jon Lovick's part of the review was more favorable.

Robert

Not putting words in your mouth, but it seems like the reviews you read are not as favorable as the ones here on the "Magic Café". That is why the make vanilla and Chocolate ice cream. Some Like vanilla some like chocolate and some do now like ice cream. I have to admit that I was very much influenced by the posts I read on this forum and as a matter of fact this thread. Having said that, I received My TA just this week and could not be more pleased. What I have viewed and experienced so far reeks quality and more than that it shows that those involved in putting it together cared. While I have not viewed all of the material at this time, as a matter of fact I have only viewed disc one (3 times) I feel that if all goes as disc one has gone I will be more than satisfied with my purchase.

So do I care about someone elses review? The answer to that question at this point is NO. But there is always a but. Had I read that reveiw before purchasing I may have put off purchasing as soon as I did, but probably would have purchased anyway because I read several favorable reviews here by individuals whom I trust in their opinions and found out after purchasing other products on their recommendation that I agreed with them.

OK enouugh for now. On to disc 2. But, another but... sure would like to find some Twilight Angel refills other than the 2 of hearts.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1391 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Multiple choice Twilight Angel refills would be great! There is nothing wrong with lots and lots of magicians performing this effect. There are a lot more audiences than there are magicians! Everyday I meet people that have never seen magic.
What about the corporate events that are so big they hire an army of magicians to entertain? If several of the performers were doing this effect, after a while people might wonder why it was always the 2H. Smile

ACE Smile
javier silk
View Profile
New user
Spain
16 Posts

Profile of javier silk
I do the effect making the spectator write his initials in both the face and the back of the card. To do so for the back, just hold the card covering what´s necessary with both hands while your show him the corner to write, you can do it in a natural way. An unexpecting strong effect for lay people. A beauty. Thank you, Paul, for your amazing work and set.
javier silk
View Profile
New user
Spain
16 Posts

Profile of javier silk
Another subtle use of the Twilight Angel is to use directly the card in a trick where the spectator has to think of a card between others. If he happens to think of the card, as an encore, you can do the effect and it is even stronger (you don´t even need to have the card signed in this case). As an example of this kind of effect you can use Naked Strange, also included in the set.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 21:35, FrenchFryNecromancer wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 20:29, Skylippo wrote:
Second, some of us will undoubtly start using the full deck of galavanting cherubs in some ridiculous routine, again thereby diminishing the value of the g***.

Personally, I doubt many people would create an effect using the full deck. That's just my opinion. Also, with every great trick you run the risk of someone performing the trick poorly or performing it into the ground. This one is a gem, certainly, and I don't want it ruined anymore than the next guy. However, I am of the opinion the rewards of us being able to purchase the deck (and therefore do the handout) outweigh the potential hazards.

Besides, I like having lots of back-ups. For example, I bought about 40 decks of Bicycles to keep in my closet, because then when I practice Torn, I don't feel so bad about ripping the cards up.... I know I have a truck-load of decks still available to me. Of course you don't tear the card in the Twilight Angels illusion (that might be an idea to consider though!)... but I would still feel less nervous practicing the trick and handling the card if I wasn't worried about wearing out the few copies of it that I have.

In the original instructions for Twilight Angels, their was a routine that involved tearing one of them in half.

Darius
doodah
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Profile of doodah
A lot of Twilight Angels chat it seems...
Most of you will know Paul's effect "The Bizarre Twist" (I recall when he first thought this up...he would sit around doing it for hours) ...at first the card just turned face-up visually, but later Paul realized that you could do a color change of the back. This is because the back never needs to be shown during the routine...though it seems all backs are seen frequently. The fact that the back is not seen means it can not only be a differnt color...but could be a Twilight Angels gaff as well...making it easy to segue into Angels as a next effect.
There are some problems with this...
For example, you would not want to rush into the Angels effect too quickly...since they need a moment to properly absorb and enjoy the "Twist". Secondly, when the "Twist" color-change happens, there is a strong urge on the part of the audience to "get a look at that card". Of course the Angels gaff will not permit this...in fact one would have to choreograph the handling carefully to make sure the gaff is not prematurely exposed. However, I rather like the idea that I could go to a restaurant table with three cards and get so much out of them. One way to solve both of these problems at once might be to pre-empt their anticipated request and defuse it. Say something like this..."Would you like to take a look at this card?" (you bet they would) "Ok, in fact, I'll let you keep it...but let me show you how it works first...see this little Angel?...and launch yourself into Twilight Angels. Their inclination to examine the card immediately is less urgent when they learn you will GIVE them the card...and they will also be inclined to be patient as you "show them how it works". Of course, you are showing them nothing but another (unexpected) effect...the card becomes doubly mysterious as a magical object. By the way...when you put that reflective surface away in your pocket, don't waste the trip. You can switch out a card preset for "Ripped and Fryed" to use for a closer. (I love that effect Charlie) Of course, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the only way to sort these things out is to think them out and then try them out in the real world.
And forgive the afterthought, but there have been a few mean-spirited posts lately, which, though I do not doubt they are well-intended, do little to help advance the craft we all enjoy so much. It is always better to lift people up rather than put them down. There is already enough going on in the world that's designed to put people down. Of COURSE people will say stupid things at times...I do it more frequently than most. But always try to educate them kindly, and understand that people sometimes need to learn things in their own good time. Not every stone is a diamond, and not every utterance or thought is a prize. But if you stifle such expressions, you create fear and feelings of worthlessness that keep others down. Magic is a beautiful craft, it has helped many to learn social and speaking skills, critcal thinking and creative skills, and to establish a sense of self-confidence and even self-worth. The last place from which one would expect to have those valuable assets attacked, would be from a fellow magician. Like so many groups that share a common interest, we are a brotherhood. (even moreso I think due to the secretive nature of magic) People will grow better in an atmosphere of acceptance and kindness. One can disagree kindly...and even offer an alternative thought to help.
I do not mean to sound "preachy"...but if everyone helps only themself, then everyone will have one person helping them. But if everyone was looking to help everyone BUT themself...just think how many people would be watching out for you.

Best regards, Patrick Snowden

Posted: Apr 13, 2009 7:24am
More more thought, regarding people's concerns about having too many out there doing Twilight Angels. Ever fooled (or more importantly, entertained) anyone with linking rings, cups and balls...cut and restored rope? ...I can tell you, Card in Wallet continues to kill. Performing magicians are an incredibly rare breed and constitute a TINY fraction of a fraction of the population. In fact, if all the magicians doing the trick were performing Twilight Angels a dozen times per day...everyday...they could not begin to keep up with the birth rate and by extension the rate at which new audiences will be presented to them. I still get great reactions to effects that have been exposed on TV, published in books at the libraries, and plastered all over YouTube. I suspect that Twilight Angels will be safe and obscure to the lay public for a long time to come.
My doctor says that I am losing my short-term memory, and he also says that I am losing my short-term memory.
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Patrick,
You last point is right on. Also I love your ideas for moving from The Bizarre Twist to Twilight Angels and then into Ripped and Fryed.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon