The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13..23..33..43..52~53~54~55~56~57~58~59 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Thanks to Hudson and Mary! Some very good ideas! I am struggling with how to find magic that will entertain the really young ones, and not bore the older kids. I started to list effects that I felt a 4 year old would "get" and it is a very short list. Perhaps just a lot of color and excitement is the answer?

And, Andrew- good on 'ya!!!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Mary,

Congratulations!

Andrew,

Awesome Photo and way to go! Great accomplishment!

Jim,
KISMIF - Keep It simple make it Fun!

Egg Bag
Egg to Silk
Sponge bunnies
Sponge anything
Giant coin production - penny works well
Storytelling when done well.
Barry Mitchell has some great stuff-yet it is higher priced.
Danny Orleans Also!

So My wife got a job in Pennsylvania and we are moving in early August. So I have backed up most of my magic and have put it on pause for about a month. When I get settled, I will let you all know what I am up to and what I am working on. I have said good bye to IBM Ring 211 and the Youth Chapter that we started. I hope to join Ring 6 out of Philly. Take care my friends!

Pete
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Peter - where in PA? Our kids (and grandkids) live in Pittsburgh and we got here regularly.

Jim - I only do shows for age 5 and older. Younger than that and I decline / refer to other entertainers - princesses and such.

All - I just finalized my new promotional video. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/Ml2gk_boIwI

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Happy Holiday All!

Great weather here for fireworks, except the worst mosquitos we have ever had!

Peter- thanks for the thoughts. I will look up KA...

Hudson- agree. This is just one of those gigs where you have to go with what they give ya. I enjoy trying to come up with a plan, though.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hudson,

I really like your video.

It shows people having a good time. It shows you smiling and it tells them who you are and what you're about.

I'm certainly not a marketing strategist but I thought the video gave a great impression of you.

And good for you for getting yourself out there! I hope you see a hugh jump in business. Let us know how it works out.

Make a link to it from Craigslist.

-Mary
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Great video, Hudson! I love the voiceover giving it a personal touch, so it's not just all flash and music - it gives the viewer info about YOU and why this is your passion. Makes for a great narrative, and even better marketing!

Mary - burnt and chapped indeed! It was a LOT of work so it definitely shows, but I survived.
The show I'm doing is called Stitchers, which airs on ABC Family. It's about a girl who goes into the minds of the dead to find out how they died and uncover other secrets that would have otherwise gone to the grave. Sort of a different take on crime solving!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

HI, all!

Hudson- I don't know how I missed your promo vid but after reading Mary and Andrew's comments I went back and took a look. That is one of the best I have ever seen! I agree with what they said, it has it all- hope you get the return you deserve- double kudos!

Andrew- although I do not get ABC Family, the concept in very creative and captivating. Some day, I will brag I knew you...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yea, I don't get ABC Family either but I like your thinking Jim.

-Mary
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Someday...you mean you're not bragging already?? Smile

Kidding! Thank you for the support!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

LOL- being from Ohio, we get the news from out west a bit late. Just got that new movie "Titanic" in the theaters. I'll start now, however, so when your name reaches us I will look like a fortune teller... Smile
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Wait, did you get the MOVIE Titanic or did you just hear about the ACTUAL Titanic?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
LOL!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3879 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2015, 55Hudson wrote:
Mary - I make minor changes to almost every show, depending on audience. So before each show I write the sequence in a 3x5 card and place it on the table. I also allow for changes right before starting after asking the host/hostess about the audience - just make the edits on my 3x5. Not very sophisticated, but works for me...
Thanks!
Hudson

----------------------------------------------------------------
The file card(s) on a table with vital information has always been a vital part of our performances because in addition to trick order, we work with the sponsor before the show to get names of individuals to call up to help with specific tricks.

That last is important because certain personalities--both adult and kiddie--react better to certain happenings and this makes your show better and the audience has more FUN.

It also helps you tap into unique IN JOKES with the group that really adds a professional WALLOP to your show.

Julie
Vince Hancock
View Profile
New user
Bear Lake, Michigan
31 Posts

Profile of Vince Hancock
Hudson, that's a great, great video. I really like how many different types of people are shown - young, older, tattooed, men, women, kids. It speaks to many people, and the focus on the reactions communicates the experience of having you as a performer (I barely remember what props you used - and I don't care).

Mary - I still get the club('s)' e-newsletters. One of the notes in a recent issue mentioned the membership concerns. This may go against tradition, but are there (have there been) recruitment efforts? Glad to talk with you off-forum, if you like. I'm still glad you performed, even if the contest format didn't feel right.

I continue some homework for my piece of rubber and coin trick. The primary idea consists of telling the story about the magic of telephones. It starts with the paper cups and string phone. Eventually, in the Payphone phase, the piece of rubber comes into play and a call is "paid for." The major homework consists of reading a provocative book about Alexander Graham Bell. It's empathetic towards him, even while claiming that an essential clue to the voice-transmission problem came from a competitor, Elisha Gray.

Left: excerpt from Elisha Gray sketch Feb 11, 1876. Right: Excerpt from Alexander Graham Bell's March 9, 1876 lab notebook. Until 2007, apparently no biographers or scientific historians had either noticed the similarity or chose to write about it!

Bell had just turned 29 a few days before his famous, successful experiment with Watson. 29! God, I have accomplished nothing in my life. So much of the book is about the struggles of a young man trying to establish himself in one field of work or another - and to pursue a deaf pupil he fell in love with. An interview with the author is here.

So I'm reading this book. And making notes. And reading an older book about tricks with plastic cups.

I live in northern Michigan. Not sure why there's so much buzz about the Titanic. Just got my tickets in the mail for her maiden voyage.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome to this thread Julie.

I also use 3X5 cards for most shows.

Tom and I have made a tool that I am finding useful. We've used the computer to print the names of Magic effects in boxes (I used the program "Comic Life") and pasted them on a magnetic sheet and cut 'em up. I put the effects I'm likely to use in a show on a ferric cookie sheet so I can move the little strips around to change show order . (Don't use cheap glue stick or they can curl. I like Staples Glue Stick.)

You could do this on the computer but I find that physically moving the strips is more satisfying and I connect with the process better. We used to do this with just paper strips but the magnetic strips don't fall or blow away. When I like the order I copy it to my 3x5. Putting the run time on the effect helps as well. If you have a piece of music to accompany the effect putting it on the strip will help you make your show playlist. When I'm not using them for a specific project I keep them stuck to a magnetic white board. I've color coded them for Silk, Mental, Cards,Rope, Stand-Up , Close-Up etc… for easy selection.

You can use border color, and back ground color as well.

-Mary Mowder
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my new video! It already landed one gig for me and I suspect more that I'm not aware of. Traveling for most of July - not a lot of time to keep up here, but will fill in details on how much business is generated by a great video. - hired a company that does this and am pleased with the cost/results. Well worth the expense in my mind.

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 8, 2015, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Wait, did you get the MOVIE Titanic or did you just hear about the ACTUAL Titanic?

Not sure! I must admit to getting confused of late. All this news about the serious drought out west, for example - is it real, or is it Memorex? When they start calling it a dustbowl I have no hope...
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1369 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Mary

I love that idea with the magnetic strips!! I'm more of a pencil and paper guy, but I think that idea is AWESOME!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
Hi Hudson,

Among the millions of crazy things that I do, I also do video production. And I had to take some time to tell you how impressed I am with your promo video. It is done so well. The quality of the production shows that perfection is important to you. An excellent job.
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I missed your video too Hudson. It's great! You don't look like a cheesy schmuck. You sound professional and likable. I'd hire you.

Excellent investment.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!