The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13..23..33..43..49~50~51~52~53..59..64..69..74..79~80~81 [Next]
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
There was a new Aquaman Trailer released today:

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
By golly,I noticed this thread just hit its one-thousandth post. Lots of posts about "Sequential art,"as artist Will Eisner coined the media.
Interesting point made by Donald as to the release dates of those two X-Men movies being pushed back, and multiple times at that! No I don't know why, Donald. But maybe somebody else here can explain.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Surprisingly, nobody has mentioned this past weekend's Venom film premiere at all. It did very good at the box office because it's listed at the top. But for me, it's not exactly my cup of tea so maybe that's how it was for others of you at this forum. Just a matter of taste.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Venom trying to be like Deadpool but missing. Not great but better than Suicide Squad. (Faint praise indeed.)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
What did anyone think of Flash's new costume and costume ring?

I think the ring has been a long time coming, so I am glad to see he can now have his suit with him when ever he needs it. While I liked that fact that it bore greater resemblance to the Comic book, I think that bright red looks kind of strange and really stands out on a dark street. I like the design of it way better.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
What did anyone think of Flash's new costume and costume ring?

I think the ring has been a long time coming, so I am glad to see he can now have his suit with him when ever he needs it. While I liked that fact that it bore greater resemblance to the Comic book, I think that bright red looks kind of strange and really stands out on a dark street. I like the design of it way better.

It surprised me, Cliff, because I did not expect it at all. Reason is because at first, CW felt that it would look too ridiculous on live action film. Because some things that look cool in the comics magazine not necessarily adapts too well to film. That's why Wolverine's yellow costume that you see in the comics was not used in the movies at all. Otherwise it would look too outlandish on film. But the Flash's ring seems to look realistic on the TV series. In the comics during the 1970s there was a story where the ring itself saves Flash's life. In that issue, the villain had deprived Flash of his protective aura which prevents him from burning up from air-friction. So when the Flash bursts into flames, his whole costume gets destroyed from the fire so the Flash became naked! To deal with that predicament, the Flash vibrates in such a way as to compress his molecules so that his entire body can fit inside the ring itself! Then he finds he cannot get out of the ring and he's trapped inside. His salvation comes from a stray cat. A stray cat notices the ring, and curious about it, the stray cat playfully paws at the ring. Inadvertently it triggers the ring and releases The Flash.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Sheldon Cooper on "Big Bang Theory" likes to wear "Flash" t-shirts (among others)

Cisco Ramon on "The Flash" has occasionally worn "Big Bang Theory" shirts!

https://starecat.com/sheldon-wears-flash......-theory/
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Orville said, "CW felt that it would look too ridiculous on live action film. Because some things that look cool in the comics magazine not necessarily adapts too well to film."

CW may certainly believe that, but I would beg to differ. I remember in 1992 saying "Wow," the first time I saw John Wesley Shipp in the Flash costume. I thought CBS did an amazing job in bringing Flash to life. I thought that even with the 1990's technology, that the "flash effects" (After images, running in circles for a vortex etc.) were done better then than they are now.
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Definitely, Cliff, the super speed fx of the 1990s version were definitely groundbreaking. Especially because it was the very first time that super speed was depicted in live action.

On the other hand in the current series with Grant Gustin, the writing can be an embarrassment. In an early episode, he can catch a speeding bullet with his bare hands. Yet,many episodes later, he can not even run on the surface of the ocean. He almost drowns. Running on the surface of the ocean is so much easier than catching a speeding bullet. In fact, if you recall from the actual comics magazine back in the 1950s when Flash debuted, one of the very first stunts he did was to run on the surface of the ocean.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is running on the ocean easier than catching a speeding bullet?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hitting the surface of water at high speed is about like hitting solid matter.
A bullet has lots of momentum and kinetic energy that needs to go somewhere when brought to a stop.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea so how do you decide which impossible comic book feat is so much easier?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea so how do you decide which impossible comic book feat is so much easier?

I could answer that, but I have the feeling you don't really want a physics lesson.
Let me know if you do.
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dude it is a COMIC BOOK. Physics does not apply. Nobody is the Flash. So the idea that one is "easier" when neither can be done is silly.

Please tell me you understand this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Where have you been, Danny? Haven't you seen the book the Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios? In the book's preface, it says that James Kakalios is a professor of Physics at the University of Minnesota where he has taught since 1988 and where his class "Everything I needed to know about physics I learned from reading comic books" is a popular freshman seminar.
Read that book before you attack Cliff. After all, Cliff is a physics teacher just like James Kakalios. So let's give Cliff the respect he deserves.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Love that book Orville, thanks for mentioning it. I lectured on it at Occidental College Physics Day. Jim himself used to do a lecture tour of it. Sadly no longer, but much of it is available on youtube.
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
Where have you been, Danny? Haven't you seen the book the Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios? In the book's preface, it says that James Kakalios is a professor of Physics at the University of Minnesota where he has taught since 1988 and where his class "Everything I needed to know about physics I learned from reading comic books" is a popular freshman seminar.
Read that book before you attack Cliff. After all, Cliff is a physics teacher just like James Kakalios. So let's give Cliff the respect he deserves.

I am not attacking anyone but I would prefer that we can talk about comic books as comic books and reality as reality.

That is a great book and the entire book is written with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. And you notice that a huge amount of his examples (Such as the Flash.) sort of say "IF the Flash could exist then this is what he could or could not do".

I do not understand the need and desire to blur reality. Escape is just that. An escape from reality. Isn't that the idea?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:

I am not attacking anyone but I would prefer that we can talk about comic books as comic books and reality as reality.

That is a great book and the entire book is written with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. And you notice that a huge amount of his examples (Such as the Flash.) sort of say "IF the Flash could exist then this is what he could or could not do".

I do not understand the need and desire to blur reality. Escape is just that. An escape from reality. Isn't that the idea?

Yes, it is escapism. But so are movies too. But newspaper-reviews discuss superpowers too. For example, there was a newspaper review about one of the X-Men movies where Wolverine gets shot in the head, with the bullet getting imbedded in his forehead. The reviewer criticized that because Logan's skull is made of adamantium that the bullet should have bounced off his head instead. So just as newspaper-reviews analyze superpowers, so do we discuss superpowers in this thread.

Also in your above quote, Danny,you said that the physics book is great. And that Kakalios said that "IF Flash could exist then this is what he could or could not do." And that's exactly what Cliff and I are saying. We are discussing the same principles that Kakalios teaches in his course at the University.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:

Actually we are not the only ones doing this. The U.S. military has spent countless dollars in trying to develop superior soldiers. Mostly through steroid use that really has not born fruit, probably some top secret stuff we don't know about too.

Other than that, it is simply a Physics exercise that is fun for me. If a human could fly, how would he control his path? etc.
Magic is like Science,
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
...can talk about comic books as comic books ...

but that would defeat the entire business of canon and narrative authority.

There's a new episode of The Flash on CW tonight.

And for fiction - try Ellis's Planetary or Moore's League. There are a couple of analogs to the Flash in Planetary. DC owns both of those properties so maybe there's hope?
...to all the coins I've dropped here