The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Phoenix by Higar & Hanson Chien (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
China? Nowhere does it state they are shipping from China. Yes I have ordered from other countries but at least I knew where the package was being shipped from, not the case here. And as far as being a "complaint" site, well I called and left 2 voicemails, and also messaged twice and it took them 3 days to get a response from them and that it had shipped, again not telling me it was from China, just that USPS was awaiting package. And even then it was only a brief email with a link to the DHL site which has a USPS tracking number yet not received and a Shop link which I do not use on my phone. So why couldn't they tell this when I initially ordered it? Again failure to communicate clearly with customers. I know Luke of All Things Magic personally and if I had known he was carrying it I would of definitely ordered from him!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6788 Posts

Profile of videoman
I’ve ordered from Theory 11 many times and have never had an issue previously but they really dropped the ball with this item because of their lack of communication and not being clear upfront that this product would not be shipping in their usual manner and timeline.

They apparently had a US exclusive for several days but now it seems that other shops have it and will probably ship it much quicker unless they are all actually shipping from somewhere in Asia and no one is being upfront about that. If a product is not in stock but being drop-shipped from a far off location then that needs to be made clear from the get go.

But this may well be another incident where the early purchasers end up receiving it later than those who placed their orders much later.
I ordered on April 24th and it still says it’s processing. For comparison, I placed an order from J&B magic shop located in Indiana on April 26th and have already received it.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6788 Posts

Profile of videoman
First of all, companies should ship in a timely fashion and answer inquiries or alert customers if there will be delays from what is normally expected.

But in addition, this isn’t just impatience to play with a new toy.
The impatience with this is in large part unique to this product. Purchasers have access to the tutorial immediately after purchasing and in the tutorial they demonstrate the gimmick and it is very difficult to believe that it actually works as well as is claimed.

If it does this could potentially be an incredible version of this effect. But if it doesn’t live up to the claims then it’s yet another disappointment.

So purchasers are more anxious in this case to receive the actual physical product to determine if it really can perform the task as well as they hope it will. Even if reviewers say they feel it lives up to the expectations it’s one of those subjective things that you really need to determine for yourself.

Yes, in magic “invisibility” is subjective. Smile
georgebd
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of georgebd
I just cancelled my order from Theory11 and ordered from San Diego Magic shop. Theory 11 has been completely unresponsive to requests for status updates. This is just really poor customer service. (I have ordered from them before, but doubt I will again.)
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
My order from theory arrived today no shipping no tracking....lol
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
So I wanted to play with one of the gimmicks to perform it for myself....this is good! I don't think ill let spectators keep the bill but they sure can inspect it...unreal given this plot
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I,like many watched the video and it did/does look great. I've seen two people perform this type of effect and neither used a gimmick although I really like Wolverine. The 2 I speak of were Carl Cloutier and Vanni Bossi. I use Vanni's because it suits me better. While I do not own this, I would suggest not to get carried a way over examinability. I never switch out and in many instances give the bill a way. It really comes down to presentation and leading them in a way to not bring out a microscope. If you're not going to hand it out, Carl's is the best. Just a few thoughts.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
SlightlyTipsyMagic
View Profile
New user
Our Fishing Pier has
87 Posts

Profile of SlightlyTipsyMagic
Quote:
On May 4, 2024, Magicalos wrote:
this is good!, they sure can inspect it...unreal given this plot

Sounds like it was worth the wait Smile. Appreciate the hands on approval.
I ordered from 11 last Monday, got the false/positive tracking etc: Tuesday.
When I ordered, it was posted the eta to be delivered tomorrow. (Sat.) That’d be cool.

Knowing that I’d be needing refills anyway, I ordered another Phoenix from AllThingsMagic late today.
Two hours later, USPS has it with an eta; of delivery for Monday. That’s standing ovation customer service right there!
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of threadman77
It looks to me like you are doing exactly what you are doing - sticking the pieces back together. Can't imagine this will pass "close" scrutiny.

And again, whether or not you let them examine it, it still looks like you're doing exactly what you are doing.
It's not a magical wave or gesture over the bill. You are "working" to restore it! And it's pretty obvious what that work is!

You can restore a bill exactly the same way without the gimmick, and not hand it out. It will look exactly the same - like you just folded and pressed all the edges flat again, only now there is nothing to hold them together for a "quick" examination.

Copperfield doesn't look all that impressed to me.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On May 3, 2024, Joaquin wrote:
This is turning into a customer service complain site

Theory 11 is a very good dealer. If you have never ordered from them before then it means that you are just new into magic because they have been around for a long time and they had never had an issue before. so please do not bash them just because you have not receive your toy right the way. They are not going to steal your money.

The packages are coming from China. US customs are backed up for weeks.

Have you ever ordered magic that is made in another country ?

I've ordered magic from TCC, Pitata, Benke Smith, Alakazam, Michael Murray...never had issues as being described with this. There's no excuse not to respond to customer emails, especially when someone has handed over their money and is looking for answers regarding their order. This has nothing to do with U.S. customs.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1157 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Quote:
On May 4, 2024, SlightlyTipsyMagic wrote:
Quote:
On May 4, 2024, Magicalos wrote:
this is good!, they sure can inspect it...unreal given this plot

Sounds like it was worth the wait Smile. Appreciate the hands on approval.
I ordered from 11 last Monday, got the false/positive tracking etc: Tuesday.
When I ordered, it was posted the eta to be delivered tomorrow. (Sat.) That’d be cool.

Knowing that I’d be needing refills anyway, I ordered another Phoenix from AllThingsMagic late today.
Two hours later, USPS has it with an eta; of delivery for Monday. That’s standing ovation customer service right there!

Thank you very much for giving us a shot at the All Things Magic shop!
Your kind words just made my weekend Smile
JETlivesOn
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of JETlivesOn
I just got mine in and LOVE IT! What made me purchase it was when I saw the performance at the end of Fiddlin Johnny review

Some might think it is pricey but honestly in my opinion that is usually coming from people who do not gig or get very few. If you are a hobbyist I do not see you doing all 32 performances for friends, family or gatherings in a short period of time.

Saw this full street performance a couple days ago on JS Magic

P.S. Luke, you are the man!!!
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of threadman77
The creator "discoverd" this gaff, he didn't create it. So that means others should eventually discover it, and I'm guessing those refills will be incredibly cheaper than $1.50 each!
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
This was marketed in Japan as "Shiva" by Higar I think. Seems exactly the same from the videos. The lowest denomination bill in Japan is 1000 yen, not something you would give a spectator to keep, unless you are very wealthy. Maybe hand it over for a quick expection, but not keep. Given it was created for the magician's 1000 yen note initially, I am wary of it being handed out to keep or for a thorough inspection.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
On May 7, 2024, badwords wrote:
This was marketed in Japan as "Shiva" by Higar I think. Seems exactly the same from the videos. The lowest denomination bill in Japan is 1000 yen, not something you would give a spectator to keep, unless you are very wealthy. Maybe hand it over for a quick expection, but not keep. Given it was created for the magician's 1000 yen note initially, I am wary of it being handed out to keep or for a thorough inspection.

You ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT leave this with a spectator. They will ABSOLUTELY find the secret.
Hanson Chien
View Profile
New user
Taipei City, Taiwan
62 Posts

Profile of Hanson Chien
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2024, trickyat86 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2024, Hanson Chien wrote:

I think the tutorials produced by theory11 are very well-done, but due to the short duration of the videos, some key points are not mentioned. I will provide an additional tutorial to theory11, and it's expected to be updated in the next few days. Please make sure to watch this updated tutorial so that you can fully unleash the power of Phoenix.

Glad to hear you're sending theory11 additional tutorials. Past experience with your products, you go above and beyond with detailed tutorials, so it was a bit surprising to see T11's brief tutorial.

If you have ordered Phoenix from theory11, there have been recent warehouse delays, but rest assured, deliveries should be arriving soon. For any inquiries regarding your purchase, please contact theory11 directly.

Furthermore, whether you have received your product or not, I recommend checking out the updated additional tutorial on the website for a deeper understanding of this trick. Enjoy your experience with Phoenix!

By the way, someone asked if there's a video of Phoenix's performance using EURO.

Please check this video:

trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
611 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On May 8, 2024, Hanson Chien wrote:

If you have ordered Phoenix from theory11, there have been recent warehouse delays, but rest assured, deliveries should be arriving soon. For any inquiries regarding your purchase, please contact theory11 directly.

Furthermore, whether you have received your product or not, I recommend checking out the updated additional tutorial on the website for a deeper understanding of this trick. Enjoy your experience with Phoenix!

Watched about half of the additional tutorial so far, so much more useful details!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2506 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On May 8, 2024, Hanson Chien wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2024, trickyat86 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2024, Hanson Chien wrote:

I think the tutorials produced by theory11 are very well-done, but due to the short duration of the videos, some key points are not mentioned. I will provide an additional tutorial to theory11, and it's expected to be updated in the next few days. Please make sure to watch this updated tutorial so that you can fully unleash the power of Phoenix.

Had just about given up hope, waiting for Theory11 order, thanks for the update. Seems like Theory11 should have also come on here and provided an update but probably too much trouble

Glad to hear you're sending theory11 additional tutorials. Past experience with your products, you go above and beyond with detailed tutorials, so it was a bit surprising to see T11's brief tutorial.

By the way, someone asked if there's a video of Phoenix's performance using EURO.

Please check this video:

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On May 7, 2024, threadman77 wrote:
Quote:
On May 7, 2024, badwords wrote:

You ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT leave this with a spectator. They will ABSOLUTELY find the secret.

It's interesting because David at Magic Orthodoxy says he wouldn't leave the bill with the spectator, whereas in Johnny's review he says you can; he mentions it several times. I don't own it so I can't speak to that, but it seems like most people are saying they wouldn't let someone take it home. I just wonder why there are different thoughts on it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6788 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don’t have the physical product yet but as I said in a previous post…with magic, invisible is subjective.
I don’t really see the need to give the bill away since most folks aren’t going to be using a borrowed bill and besides it’s hard to borrow one dollar bills these days anyway.

I suspect the difference in opinions of whether you feel comfortable giving the bill away depends on what you think the spectator will do with it. I know we all like to believe that we just so powerfully blew the spectators mind that they are going to rush home and immediately get out a magnifying glass and a bright light and spend as long as it takes to discover the secret. But the truth is that most people aren’t that interested in knowing the secret and even if they are in the short term they will have long forgotten about it as other things take their attention. If you’re performing strolling magic at a gig, by the time someone arrives home a hundred different things may be going through their minds about the evening and sorry to say the magician's bill trick is likely not in the top 50.

So if you think your spectator is going to grab the bill and exam it super thoroughly for a minute or longer then probably wise to use spectator management and don’t allow that to happen. But most people are going to look at it about as much as Copperfield did and it can probably survive that pretty well I imagine. Bearing in mind that it’s quite possible that some restorations may look better than others especially if you happen to get a particularly bad tear for some reason, which may force you to let them exam it for less time. Hopefully practice can minimize that if not completely eliminate it.

But like many effects using hidden gimmicks in plain sight, once you see them you cannot unsee them which may cause one person to believe that if they can see it then most everyone surely will. But others can accept that the spectator doesn’t know what to look for so is very unlikely to notice anything, assuming this product is as good as they claim.

Probably not a bad idea to have a back up plan in mind just in case. If the secret is discovered just laugh it off and say you were just messing with them and that you learned that trick when you were 7 years old. Then perform something like Misled and show them how it’s really done.