The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: HOLY WOOD by Hanson Chien (74 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..18~19~20 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2021, MagicBrent wrote:
What the heck would a person do with a brick of wood? They’d throw it away. Don’t they sell these kinds of blocks to stick in drawers for freshness or like mothballs. I’d be embarrassed to give this away. Remember Charlie Brown Halloween special when he got a rock? What now? “I got a deck in a bottle!” “I got a a Rubik’s cube in a bottle!” “I got a block of wood. Good grief “. 😂

Yeah, I basically agree with you, and that's exactly what this discussion has been about. But either you didn’t bother to read any of the previous posts or your reading comprehension is extremely poor. Or maybe you’re just cranky today and need a nap.

But I do appreciate your reference to a 50 year old Charlie Brown show. One of my personal favorites.
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
492 Posts

Profile of geggy
Have now watched the tutorial.
I have a feeling everyone is going to love this.
The craftsmanship is superb.
The routining I love compared to I.R or the matchbox penetrations where you do the penetrations because of the weight. With Holywood you have the spec put the card thru the card case, which is so cool, compared to the metal block versions, this really adds to the final reveal.
The little gimmick you make is very clever, AND easy to make.
Lots of subtleties and variations on performance are explained.
Very very nice.
Thank you Mr Hanson for this amazing piece.

Regards the dupe block, I'm now seeing the merit in having a dupe set up, so if asked I could casually give it out for full inspection. So yes I will get one now.
But def wouldn't suggest they keep it.
Just take it back when it's finished being tugged and pulled ready for next time.
Also not simple to open and easy to close, which is perfect.

Gerry
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
Sounds like you are pleased with it geggy. I watched the tutorial this evening as well, it was very well made and detailed.
Have you attempted to set your Holy Wood to performance ready? I am wondering how the tension is when setting it, he made it sound very fragile i.e opening too far.

It is nice that they included 3 vanishing deck gimmicks along with the 2 pre-slit boxes.
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
492 Posts

Profile of geggy
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2021, rbromley wrote:
Sounds like you are pleased with it geggy. I watched the tutorial this evening as well, it was very well made and detailed.
Have you attempted to set your Holy Wood to performance ready? I am wondering how the tension is when setting it, he made it sound very fragile i.e opening too far.

It is nice that they included 3 vanishing deck gimmicks along with the 2 pre-slit boxes.

Yes, just follow how he explains.
I was nervous to, but its well made..you see him open it a long way in the tutorial, but as he says, this should not be done as could cause damage..
In other words don't use it for a finger penetration..he he..enjoy.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Sounds like it’s on some kind of elastic? Gaz 😊
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
492 Posts

Profile of geggy
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Sounds like it’s on some kind of elastic? Gaz 😊

Hi Gaz,
Noooooo,
It's far more advanced than that...
Very sturdy.
leosx1
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of leosx1
Very pleased with the craftmanship, also very nice and unique presentation ideas.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Sounds great thanks for the info Gerry, regards Gaz 😊
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7604 Posts

Profile of RNK
Nice that they were include the 3 vanishing deck gimmicks as well!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
RNK--they also throw in some sandpaper for aesthetic maintenance, haha

Gaz--I apologize, I didn't mean to make it sound like it is THAT fragile. If you watch the tutorial you will see why I asked about the process to set-up the device for each performance, Hanson goes in to detail about not going too far and trying to he precise about the size you set it to and why not to got too far.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Still waiting for mine.
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
I saw an update on the website for sales:

"PRE-ORDERS OPEN NOW.
Next batch: 50 UNITS.
Estimated shipping: MID-MAY 2021."
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
I also noticed a link at the top of the tutorial page that says "Please click here to DOWNLOAD the material." This link takes you to two different files that are set up for you to print your own vanishing deck gimmick. They provide 3 inside the box when you purchase, but they include two files, .ai and .pdf that allow you to print many of these gimmicks for use with this item.

As far as doing my own routine rather than the one they suggest, it would go something like this:

First, I would talk to the spectator about luck and if they consider themselves lucky or not. I would explain that my luck hasn't been so great with something I have been trying for years. Then I would see if they wanted to try an experiment with me. I would pull out the deck box with the slit in it and show it to them. Then go in to...

"Atoms are the tiniest known thing in our universe. Molecules are made up of atoms that have bonded together. Everything we see from gas, liquid and solid objects are made up of atoms and molecules. This deck of cards is made of paper, as you know, and paper comes from wood, just like that tree over there (or any other wooden object that may be near you, the table you are at or chair etc.). That tree is made up of molecules. Molecules are always moving. Some scientists believe in a theory that if you were to touch two solid objects together repeatedly, eventually the molecules will line up and allow them to pass through each other. The odds of this happening are astronomically low and it seems pretty much impossible. But, in theory, it CAN happen. I am VERY stubborn, for the past three years I have attempted to push a single playing card through a solid deck of cards for over three hours EVERY day. It has not happened...yet. Let's try our own experiment today and see if you bring me any luck..."

Point to the card box and show the deck inside the card box, then pull out a single card, attempt to pass it through the solid deck, but it won't go through. Have the spectator attempt as well. It doesn't pass through. Then, ask the spectator to sign the card to identify it as theirs and maybe put some of their luck in to the playing card. This helps to show this is the same card passing through when the time comes. While they sign it remove the second card which should also do the deck vanish simultaneously out of sight. Remove this card while they sign it and place it out of sight, as it is gimmicked for the deck vanish. Then ask the spectator to take their signed card and to attempt to push it through the deck and box. This time it happens with some resistance, but it passes through slowly. Make sure to go slow enough that they stop half-way and can see the card coming out of both sides of the box. After the pass the card completely through I take their card and attempt this, but it doesn't happen. It only happened for the spectator. You explain how crazy it must be that the molecules happened to line up for the spectator in that once in a lifetime moment and whatever other patter I want to add to make the moment seem rather amazing. Then hand them the deck box, which has been in view and used the entire time and ask them to remove the deck and inspect the cards. They find a solid block of wood, much like the solid objects I mentioned prior to the card passing through the deck. I then would act surprised myself and say something about how the deck being paper must have solidified from the molecular reaction of the card passing through it and gone back to it's original state. Or something to that effect. Maybe they will make a version that looks like a bicycle deck that is solidified as wood, haha....just kidding.

Obviously I will be talking and saying other things while the above happens, this is just an example and not verbatim.
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Confirmed and coming soon. Ungimmicked Holy Wood for give away or to switch for detailed examination will be available middle of May for the cost of $20 each. Hanson Chien is considering possible discount on multiple blocks purchased but discount is unconfirmed at this time.

(Source of this information). I emailed him and this is what he told me in email.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
492 Posts

Profile of geggy
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
Confirmed and coming soon. Ungimmicked Holy Wood for give away or to switch for detailed examination will be available middle of May for the cost of $20 each. Hanson Chien is considering possible discount on multiple blocks purchased but discount is unconfirmed at this time.

(Source of this information). I emailed him and this is what he told me in email.

Great news, thanks for the heads up,
The rumours were real.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Received mine today! First off the overall quality and presentation is superb. You can tell a lot of work was put into this, from the packaging, to the actual product. You receive the gimmick, two unassembled card boxes with slits, three PH vanishing deck gimmicks, a thank you card, and an extra bit to maintain the gimmick. The gimmick looks fantastic. Even knowing the method I had a hard time finding it. A spectator would have NO chance of finding it. Watch the video before you play with the gimmick, as Hanson covers the proper way to set it. I know some people were concerned that it didn't lock, but trust me there is no need. The process of setting it is tough enough that your spectator wont be able to do it, but simple enough that when you know the secret you can easily reset this in seconds.

Hanson covers two routines; one using the PH gimmick, one without, using a knife. He also covers a few variations, one that focuses on the penetration, one on the transformation, and one on a production.

Finally he covers care and maintenance of the gimmick.

I couldn't be happier with this
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
Received this price quote today from Hanson Chien, for those that may want to purchase ungimmicked extras:

Price List:
1 / $20
5 / $80
10 / $120
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2021, rbromley wrote:
Received this price quote today from Hanson Chien, for those that may want to purchase ungimmicked extras:

Price List:
1 / $20
5 / $80
10 / $120

That’s great when I spoke to him he was still figuring out the discount prices on multiples
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2021, rbromley wrote:
I am VERY stubborn, for the past three years I have attempted to push a single playing card through a solid deck of cards for over three hours EVERY day. It has not happened...yet.

So you’re basically telling them you have OCD? 😃
I’m afraid telling them every day for 3 hours will push the boundaries of their suspension of disbelief a bit too far.
I think conveying the idea that you’ve attempted it many times is enough without any specifics that may make you sound a bit scary.
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
Hahaha...I guess I meant it in mote detail to be said, "Often, when I am watching a movie or browsing the internet at home, I will have this deck of cards next to me and just tap a card on the deck attempting to pass it through. It hasn't happened yet."