The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: For the record :: Card Moves, and Their Originators. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I don't know, if anyone has listed a glossary here as in a post listing Moves & Their Orinators yet, in the form of a post. Anyway I'll list some Moves/Sleights, that I don't know who originated them, and maybe you could put the right name(s) that go with them.

1. I don't know the technical name of this move, but it's powerful. It's used as a control, and in A.C. Routines. You have a break under a card, under one half of the deck. You take that half place it injogged on the other half while pushing the top card of the lower most half (showing the top card by flashing it, saying please remember this card...ect) you leave the bottom card on top, the card you had a thumb break under. I hope I'm not exposing too much, but it's hard to describe. It's used as a method of switching, and a add-on move.

2. The Fan Pass

3. The Convincing Control. I asked this once before, and I think someone said it's a Jennings Move.

4. This is a coin move, but the Retention Vanish.

5. Breather Crimp

6. Faro Shuffle

7. Push-Through Shuffle (I think this is Charlie Miller's Move).

8. Up-The-Ladder (Vernon I Think).

9. Affas Gaffas (Again I Believe It's Vernon's Move).

10. Riffle Pass (Derek Dingle Perhaps)?

11. Pop-Up Card As In A.C. Routine (The Bent Card).

12. The Bluff Move (As Seen In The Early Ammar Tapes For The Yeast Card Trick. I Think Ammar Credited It To Tommy Wonder. I LOVE This Move and Use It In My A.C. Routine).

13. Mexican Turn-Over Switch (Again Vernon I believe).

14. Olram Sublety (Of Course I know it's Marlo's But This Is Another Great Technique, and I Too Use This In My A.C. Routine).

15. J.K. Hartman's Pop-Out Move (Again Obviously I Know This One. I Just Can't Get It, But It's VERY VISUAL, and I Love It).

Anyway except for the last two, maybe people can put names to these Moves/Sleights/Technique's. Maybe others can add moves they don't know, and maybe we can make a glossary of sorts of Sleights/Moves, and Who invented them. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Oh yes I forgot the Top Card Cover Pass. Thanks Again, Ed, (Eddini).
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
1. This was published by Edward Marlo in Kabbala in October 1971 (Vol. 1, No. 2) as "For the Unambitious." Wesley James published an updated handling in Frank Garcia's Super Subtle Card Miracles (1972) as "Coming up in the World."

2. I think you are talking about the spread pass. If so, it was popularized by Paul LePaul, but I believe the creator has gone unrecorded.

3. The credit for this move is divided between Edward Marlo and Larry Jennings. Some say Marlo devised it, some say Jennings did. The first handling to appear in print was actually Allan Ackerman's variation of the Marlo move. He published it in Magic Mafia Effects in March 1970. Almost simultaneously, Marlo published his move in The Hierophant (No. 3, Spring 1970).

4. Not a coin guy!

5. The breather crimp came from the world of gambling, I believe. Aaron Shields has told me that the first publication of the technique in a magic book was in 1987 in Stephen Minch's The Vernon Chronicles, Volume One. Bob King has a lot of work relating to the technique.

6. The creator of the faro shuffle is unknown, but Jerry Andrus and Edward Marlo were two of the pioneers in faro shuffle work.

7. Again, this came from the gambling world.

8. Once again, this is a gamblers' move. Charlie Miller did popularize it in magic, however, with its appearance in Expert Card Technique in 1940.

9. This is a Frank Garcia false cut. Illustrations depicting the cut appeared in his Marked Cards and Loaded Dice in 1962, and a more thorough description was published a decade later in his Million Dollar Card Secrets.

10. Although previous techniques had been published where the cards were riffled to cover a pass, Fred Robinson was the first to publish a technique in which the riffle was the cause of the pass. His move was published in Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation, Part I in 1950.

11. This is commonly attributed to Frederick Braue. It was first published in 1940 in Expert Card Technique.

12. If you are referring to the bluff pass, the creator is Frederick Montague. He published the move, without any cover cards, in 1928 in his Westminster Wizardry. Tommy Tucker was the first to use a single card as cover, and he published the idea in 1936 in his What Next!

13. According to S. W. Erdnase, the Mexican turnover comes from the world of hustling. I believe the first description to make its way into print was in The Expert at the Card Table in 1902.

Cameron
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
The top card cover pass is often erroneously attributed to Ellis Stanyon. However, the technique was first described in a letter to Stanyon from Clinton Burgess circa 1903. The move was then put into print by Stanyon in his magazine Magic.

Cameron
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Oh yes, another one I forgot which is strange since I love using this control a lot. The Side Steal. Vernon, or Marlo I think. I know Marlo has a booklet on it. Thanks Cameron. You're very knowledgable. Ed, (Eddini).
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Quote:
On 2004-11-13 15:23, Cameron Roat wrote:
1. This was published by Edward Marlo in Kabbala in October 1971 (Vol. 1, No. 2) as "For the Unambitious." Wesley James published an updated handling in Frank Garcia's Super Subtle Card Miracles (1972) as "Coming up in the World."

2. I think you are talking about the spread pass. If so, it was popularized by Paul LePaul, but I believe the creator has gone unrecorded.

3. The credit for this move is divided between Edward Marlo and Larry Jennings. Some say Marlo devised it, some say Jennings did. The first handling to appear in print was actually Allan Ackerman's variation of the Marlo move. He published it in Magic Mafia Effects in March 1970. Almost simultaneously, Marlo published his move in The Hierophant (No. 3, Spring 1970).

4. Not a coin guy!

5. The breather crimp came from the world of gambling, I believe. Aaron Shields has told me that the first publication of the technique in a magic book was in 1987 in Stephen Minch's The Vernon Chronicles, Volume One. Bob King has a lot of work relating to the technique.

6. The creator of the faro shuffle is unknown, but Jerry Andrus and Edward Marlo were two of the pioneers in faro shuffle work.

7. Again, this came from the gambling world.

8. Once again, this is a gamblers' move. Charlie Miller did popularize it in magic, however, with its appearance in Expert Card Technique in 1940.

9. This is a Frank Garcia false cut. Illustrations depicting the cut appeared in his Marked Cards and Loaded Dice in 1962, and a more thorough description was published a decade later in his Million Dollar Card Secrets.

10. Although previous techniques had been published where the cards were riffled to cover a pass, Fred Robinson was the first to publish a technique in which the riffle was the cause of the pass. His move was published in Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation, Part I in 1950.

11. This is commonly attributed to Frederick Braue. It was first published in 1940 in Expert Card Technique.

12. If you are referring to the bluff pass, the creator is Frederick Montague. He published the move, without any cover cards, in 1928 in his Westminster Wizardry. Tommy Tucker was the first to use a single card as cover, and he published the idea in 1936 in his What Next!

13. According to S. W. Erdnase, the Mexican turnover comes from the world of hustling. I believe the first description to make its way into print was in The Expert at the Card Table in 1902.

Cameron

Ahhh Yes #1. I think I remember Michael Ammar Attributing this to that wonderful inventor Wesley James. Awesome. Thanks Again, Ed, (Eddini).
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Nope #12 is a "sucker show". You purposely show the wrong card as in A.C.R., or as a Change. You show a card (a double), the audience yells that's not the card) as that happens your index finger pushed the bottom card in, as the two card are kept half way out of the deck. You say no, you gotta trust me, the is the Jack Of Spades, the Signed Card. Ed, (Eddini).
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
The creator of the side steal is thought to be T. Nelson Downs, although Nate Leipzig is also a contender. Aaron Shields tells me that it was first published in 1909 in Downs' The Art of Magic.

Cameron
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
12. This may be the eldest of all of these techniques. It is commonly called the push-in change and was first described by August Roterberg in 1897 in his New Era Card Tricks.

Cameron
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Cameron, LePaul was the first to publish a spread pass and there is no evidence that he did not create it himself.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
If I'm not mistaken, LePaul only comments on the "unrecorded" origin of the flourish portion of his "Flourish and a Pass" (i.e. the LePaul Spread).

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Paul, that was my understanding as well.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I thought of another Sleight. How about the Wink Change. It's a Super Quick, Super BAM Card Change. I wonder who gets credit for this move. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
The Wink Change belongs to Martin Gardner - Epilogue issue 21
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
4.Retention Vanish was 1st published in the prequal to Greater Magic,The Art of Magic 1909.On p243 it states that it was a favorite of Harry Stork as well as TJ Crawford,but is credited to neither of them.In Bobo's book,Bobo invented a version ,as did Dai Vernon but the original still seems to be the Illusive Coin Pass,which appears in both books and Greater Magic.
Andre
bprattmagic
View Profile
New user
Boston
74 Posts

Profile of bprattmagic
Eddini wrote

"12. The Bluff Move (As Seen In The Early Ammar Tapes For The Yeast Card Trick. I Think Ammar Credited It To Tommy Wonder. I LOVE This Move and Use It In My A.C. Routine)."

For an in depth look at the move and many great subtleties, check out the Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher. The Buck Twins also have some work on in it in the October 2003 Genii. Hope this helps.
bprattmagic
View Profile
New user
Boston
74 Posts

Profile of bprattmagic
On second thought, this is something completely different than you're referring to. I thought you were talking about the bluff replacement subtlety. You should still check it out.

Ben
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
The wink change belongs to Martin Gardner. It was first published in January 1971 in the Fall-Spring issue of The Hierophant (No. 5). It was republished in July 1974 in Epilogue (No. 21).

Cameron
juggler13
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of juggler13
I thought #2 (Fan Pass) was Peter Duffie's.
rogerfsmith
View Profile
Regular user
Roger Smith
129 Posts

Profile of rogerfsmith
If memory serves it was Nelson Downs who is sometimes credited with the classic side steal although I'd wager it goes back further than that.
But Marlo actually developed the side steal into something that was useful. He called it the Technical Side Steal and that is what he taught in his Side Steal Book. The Technical Side Steal is far different than the classic side steal for the card is never palmed but transfered during a very normal squaring action to the top. I have been doing Marlo's version for over 40 years and have found that most magicians are not even aware that I'm doing anything.
Cheers,
Roger

The map is not the territory