The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Million Dollar Card Magic Simon Lovell DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Well, I saw a video clip of this DVD and was impressed. I only knew Simon from his party animal video, which I did not like. But, seeing him with a deck of cards is amazing. and, he's charming and funny.

This looks like a winner!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Chris,

I own Frank Garcia's "Million Dollar Secrets" book. Do you know if Simon's DVD follows the book trick for trick? If not, how many effects are on the DVD?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mike, the description ( from penguin's site ) is as follows:

The Effect
Go inside with "Million Dollar Magician" Simon Lovell. Simon shares with you in-depth more than 30 card tricks and secrets that will put you in a class above the rest. The card tricks are so secret that the manufacturer has asked us not to list them on the site.

As an added bonus Simon shares his ambitious card secrets that will only further enhance your million dollar experience.

Hope that helps!

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 01:50, MagicChris wrote:
Mike, the description ( from penguin's site ) is as follows:

The Effect
Go inside with "Million Dollar Magician" Simon Lovell. Simon shares with you in-depth more than 30 card tricks and secrets that will put you in a class above the rest. The card tricks are so secret that the manufacturer has asked us not to list them on the site.

As an added bonus Simon shares his ambitious card secrets that will only further enhance your million dollar experience.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Chris.

Yes, I guess it helps in that it stops me from trying to find out what is on the DVD. But boy!! What arrogance!! "We can't tell you what's on the tape but...trust us. It is so good you'll want it."

With this kind of secrecy, how can we be certain that any Frank Garcia "Million Dollar Secrets" card book effects are even on the DVD? Is it even remotely possible that this "We can't tell you" secrecy is just the latest PR marketing scheme designed to generate buzz and excitement? I'm not suggesting that this is the fact but I'd certainly like to know that it is not. And I'm certainly not enthused about buying a pig in a poke.

BTW, have you purchased this DVD or has it even been released yet? Any reviews from people that have actually seen this DVD?

Thanks again.
Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-10-04 23:10, Turk wrote:
Chris,

I own Frank Garcia's "Million Dollar Secrets" book. Do you know if Simon's DVD follows the book trick for trick? If not, how many effects are on the DVD?

You should spend some time reading this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
John,

Thank you for your helpful comment.

However, I had read that entire thread PRIOR to posting my above question. Unfortunately, IMHO, none of the posts on that thread you mentioned (including any of yours nor the Jim Sisti post giving the Yahoo URL reference) precisely or specifically answered the questions I raised in my above post.

The Yahoo URL only listed 12-13 effects that were arguably Frank Garcia's--yet the DVD description stated 30 tricks and secrets "and more". What about these other 17-18 items? Did they come out of the Garcia book? And, were the 12-13 named effects actually Frank Garcia effects or were only Frank Garcia "themes" used in such effects?

IMHO, Simon's post in that thread also did little to clarify or resolve the allegations surrounding this DVD. One of the questions not answered by Simon is whether or not Simon's presentations on that DVD are unique to himself (in either presentation, handling and/or moves) but with credit being given to Frank Garcia (for the underlying effects being used as a starting point) or whether this DVD is a straight word-for-word peformance straight out of the Garcia book.

My reason for my request was two-fold: To be able to have some light shed on the secret undisclosed contents of this DVD AND to better understand the full extent of any alleged plagarizing of Frank Garcia material.

And, since the actual contents of the DVD has not been released by the publisher (or Simon), I was hoping that such answers as would be forthcoming would be from people who had ACTUALLY seen the DVD and could more accurately comment on its contents (instead of comments from persons who had not seen the DVD and were merely speculating on its contents). And, with such information coming from such people (i.e., who had actually viewed the DVD), it was also hoped that the plargarism allegations could be more critically evaluated.

But again, thank you for your post.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 17:20, Turk wrote:
One of the questions not answered by Simon is whether or not Simon's presentations on that DVD are unique to himself (in either presentation, handling and/or moves) but with credit being given to Frank Garcia (for the underlying effects being used as a starting point) or whether this DVD is a straight word-for-word peformance straight out of the Garcia book.

My reason for my request was two-fold: To be able to have some light shed on the secret undisclosed contents of this DVD AND to better understand the full extent of any alleged plagarizing of Frank Garcia material.

I understand, Mike, and part of my reasoning for posting the link was to subtly bring up that very fact: the underlying questions have not yet been adequately addressed. And that is unsettling on so many levels.

What's the point in being cagy about things if everyone "did the right thing"?

There was a point in the last couple of days where I felt like I was beginning to look like a dog with a bone, but with the recent announcement of Anders Moden's "Healed & Sealed" trick being released on a Magic Makers DVD...well, I don't so much feel that way now.

It may make some people feel uncomfortable addressing these issues, but I assure you: the questions are not going to go away, and I'm not the only one asking them.

We can all pay lip service to the question of ethics and morals in magic, or we can engage the issue through discussion and action. Be part of the problem, or be part of the solution; one cannot consider themselves to be an innocent bystander once the issues have been raised.

John LeBlanc

smum
View Profile
New user
bonnie Scotland
42 Posts

Profile of smum
Great, just what magic needs. Another DVD featuring unoriginal material culled from already established sources. How very sad.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I heard some gossip that during Simon's shoot they literally were reading from a book and straight away then shooting the tricks in the book. (I guess you shouldn't brag your inproprieties, guys.) If I had to pick a likely culprit of a project I would say it was this one. At any rate the content will show if this true or not.

Cheers,

Tom
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I have it here and I will watch it tonight and do a review of it. These are a bit limited right now. A dealer I work with says they're waiting for them to be shipped across the pond.
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If Simon did the project, then it's legit!!!!!

smum
View Profile
New user
bonnie Scotland
42 Posts

Profile of smum
You know, there's a theory that you can tell how insane a man is by how many exclamation marks he uses.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 17:56, smum wrote:
Great, just what magic needs. Another DVD featuring unoriginal material culled from already established sources. How very sad.

smum can you say anything nice about anything? Here is a suggestion, why not get a web site put video of you on it. Work out your own routines and produce your own DVD?

I think that will be a better way of spending your time instead of the insults and the low ball coments... Having been one of the people that you have done this to I think I should bring this to your attention.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Watched it last night. First effect was the Chicago opener and some basic sleights. I thought "Oh crap. how can I recomend this." Then he got into the Meat and Potatoes of the magic. WHOA! is all I can say. The effects I am working on are;

Switchcraft, where a card is placed under a cup and one is placed on top of the cup and the change places. Great for tablehopping or walkaround.

Hide kings, Where kings disappear from the face of the deck one at a time only to be found in the middle of the deck face up And they were not there just because but, as you turn over the one card between each, they were looking for their girlfriends, as you turn over the queens.

Cutting Kings, where you cut to the 4 kings then the kings are turned over to reveal they really are aces instead.

What Aces, on the demo where aces are placed on the table one at a time BUT when they are turned over the are kings.
I could go on for another 500 lines. HIGHLY SUGGESTED!!! If you are unhappy with MM. Put it a side and don't be robbed of this gem of magic.
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-10-06 11:37, WR wrote:
If you are unhappy with MM. Put it a side and don't be robbed of this Gem of magic.
WR

"Don't be robbed." That's an ironic way of putting it, whatever your name is.

I like Simon, but I am not putting aside the fact that I am not going to support Magic Makers.

This is even assuming that all permissions were obtained to perform a video version of Frank Garcia's "Million Dollar Card Secrets" -- which no one has yet confirmed.

I'm really beginning to wonder how many people genuinely care about the ethics and morals involved in producing a product based on someone else's work. If you aren't willing to say so publicly (why not, I have no idea) at least PM me your position on this.

John LeBlanc

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
John,
I am sorry you have Concerns with MM but I will not nor do I need to prove my "Postion" to you or any other. Get over it and move on with you life.
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
So, what's in the dvd?
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
John: I think there's a lot of us that genuinely care about ethics and morals, and will never support companies that actively engage in copying other peoples products. But threads about that subject seems to vanish in thin air (probably because they relate to a specific company, which is why this remark is to be taken in general).
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-10-06 12:19, broothal wrote:
"...I think there's a lot of us that genuinely care about ethics and morals, and will never support companies that actively engage in copying other peoples products...."

I'm one of them, and it's really a shame because I'm a fan of Simon Lovell's work but won't purchase this product because of the company. My unwillingness to purchase has nothing to do with Simon himself.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-10-06 12:07, WR wrote:
John,
I am sorry you have Concerns with MM but I will not nor do I need to prove my "Postion" to you or any other. Get over it and move on with you life.
WR

I didn't say you had to prove anything to me. I simply asked a question about whether you will continue to support Magic Makers and, evidently, the answer is yes, you will.

That position will affect you more than it will affect me, I assure you of that.

And for moving on with my life, I am a professional magician -- I earn a substantial portion of my yearly income from this stuff. This is part of my life. Ethics and morals are also a part of my life.

So if, by "get over it and move on," you mean for me to drop this basic issue: No thanks, I'm in it for the long haul. There is right and there is wrong, and I will continue to point out the difference when I see it -- politely and respectfully, but I will continue to do it. Yes, that obviously makes some people uncomfortable.

As for you, personally, as long as you post comments publicly on TMC, I have as much right as anyone else to comment. Likewise, you are perfectly free to respond to those comments.

John LeBlanc