The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Scott Alexander DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
wildthought
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of wildthought
What a huge disappoinment ! beside Shattered those DVDs are useless at best and embarassing at worst. lame effects, awefull presentations and performance, and in one word - boring.
at one point he wore a tools belt and brought s blocks of wood just to devine 5 cards from a shuffled deck. that was the point I couldn't take it anymore and quit watching them. I wanted to shout: haven't you heard Radar Deck and dozens of other 10 times powerfull effects that achieve the exact same impact (and better) without ruining a deck or having to carry all that rediculus stuff ?
not recommanded at all.

WT
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I think you had better duck for cover on this one...

Gianni
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Wildthought, given that you really disliked the DVDs, what's the lowest price you'd take for them? I think they're superb, and would like to buy a set for a friend.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I would like to be that friend.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

No you wouldn't. That would mean that you'd have to tolerate me. Smile
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1784 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
And you, Larry, would have to tolerate therntier (luckily, though, that is easy Smile)
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Oh well... you can't please everybody.

Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
I agree with Larry...particularly liked Water Monte. Whenever I buy a DVD, if I come away with 2 effects I'll use, and am entertained by the rest, consider it a good investment.

Scott's DVDs pass both of these tests (for me)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Wildthought, still waiting for a reply. I hope yours wasn't a hit-and-run posting.
griff13
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of griff13
Wildthought

Having watched these vids, your reaction is just the opposite of mine. I'm curious, what vids DO you like?

I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but your review was very harsh.

"that was the point I couldn't take it anymore and quit watching them" huh?
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Quote:
On 2004-09-03 18:15, Larry Davidson wrote:
Wildthought, given that you really disliked the DVDs, what's the lowest price you'd take for them? I think they're superb, and would like to buy a set for a friend.

If Mr. Davidson passes on these I'm looking for them as well.

Joe
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
OH my GOD. These are 2 of the best DVD's ever made ( that includes videos ). The materiasl is "A" list material. Justr the water Monte effect was worth the price.

wildthought, have you even tried any of these effects for an audience?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
There were some fantastic effects on these DVDs, no doubt bout it. I can see where wildthought is coming from though when he says the effect where you nail a deck into a board to find a thought of card is over the top. There are many better methods for doing that type of trick. It was one of few I wasn't impressed with on the dvds.
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Do most of these effects rely on gimmicks? Am I right in thinking that the water monte relies on the good old physics of pressure differences?
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I enjoyed the DVDs, and I don't understand how you could think these are bad...Some of the tricks I was a bit dissapointed in, however there were a lot of times when I had no clue as to the method, for instance in Water Monte. I saw this live performed by someone else, and after the show I was speechless. The colour changing silk is another amazing routine. also a short story is one of the most appealing mental effects, and as for the tool belt used in Nailed, I think this is a great way to do the (name of the move used).
Scott it was great chatting to you at MAGIC Live and then seeing you the day after, and I have to congratulate you for creating some great magic. I have not yet watched the Final Answer, as the DVDs did not work, but I am sorting that with Bob.
Once again, these DVDs are full of great stuff.
Owen
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Thanks Owen,

It was nice chatting with you as well. Its true that not all of the routines on any DVD will suit everyone. After all this is the artists own material. But I consider that even if I get one idea or something that starts me thinking in a new direction for a $35 investment in a DVD...its worth it.

If you need any insight on TFA Owen...don't hesitate to PM me here or inside the Inner Circle forums.

Thanks,

Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Thanks Scott,
I am still yet to see TFA, but I am sure I will be impressed. There is certainly one trick that I am going to work on from the DVDs, that being the Colour Changing Silk...I really love the ending. As someone who doesn't do any stage magic, I have always loved the silk fountain yet never really known how it works etc, your whole routine for it is so great, with the gimmick and the load!
Also the idea used in Jumping Jacks to get you one ahead is also revolutionary. I love the routine, however I already do a Matrix style bit in my act, which leads into more tricks with coins, so I can't immediatly use it.
These DVDs are definatly worth the money...I will be making sure that International Magic over here buy a few sets (i know they have Chris Korn's DVDs also from Bob Kohler).
Owen
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
These DVDs are great.......I really can't understand why all this arguement.
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I would also be interested in being Larry's friend whom he buys magic for. Then again, I would like to be Larry's friend period. Not like I don't jet in and out of DC frequently.

Then again, would be curious to what kind of magic wildthought actually likes. 18 posts in over a year of being a member leaves me wondering what kind of contributions he brings to magicland. Especially since only 3 of the 18 posts are more than 10 words long, and any that are reviews are all negative.
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Quote:
On 2004-09-06 21:25, Scott Alexander wrote:
But I consider that even if I get one idea or something that starts me thinking in a new direction for a $35 investment in a DVD...its worth it.

Scott,

I've got to disagree here - when that happens I feel HOSED.

steve

PS Just so there is NO mistake - I'm a big fan of Scott's DVDs - a big fan.