The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: What bunny should I buy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
I already have a Holland lop. He is a year old and is 3 and a half pounds. But he is too big for most of my bunny tricks. What is a good breed of bunnies for magic tricks? Like a small and calm bunny that does not struggle to get out of a small compartment when it is in one a long time. When I say long time, I mean 15 min.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2353 Posts

Profile of David Todd
A good choice for a magic rabbit is the Netherland Dwarf . They start out small and stay small. Most standard magic apparatus that is built for a rabbit is built for a small rabbit like the Netherland Dwarf . Some magicians prefer working with a larger rabbit ( on the extreme end Walter Blaney uses huge white New Zealand's ) , but you're going to have to custom build your props to hold larger rabbits.

The Polish Rabbit breed is a small rabbit, almost as small as the Netherland Dwarf.
The Dutch rabbit breed is another smaller rabbit. Not as small as a Netherland Dwarf, but a nice "medium size" rabbit .

As far as the bunny being "calm and not struggling" that is a matter of training and sometimes of temperment. Rabbits have different personalities and temperments. The one I currently have is one of the best natured rabbits I've ever had the pleasure of knowing . He is very calm, loves to be held , doesn't put up a fuss about going into load compartments (but I always make sure it is comfortable, with plenty of room and air....... don't try to force an animal into a prop that is too small . Rebuild the prop if necessary. Build the prop around the animal ) .

Spend time holding the rabbit and playing with it . Let the rabbit get to where it trusts you , then gradually introduce him to the prop(s) over a couple of days and start rehearsing . If it's a load compartment where he needs to get used to staying in for 15 minutes then start off slow with 1 minute , take a break, then 2 minutes, take a break, 5 minutes, break for the day. Next day 5 minutes, take a break , 8 minutes, take a long break , then 10 minutes, working up to 15 minutes . You get the idea. Spend at least two days getting him comfortable. Make sure the prop itself is comfortable and allows him to breathe adequately . If you're not performing with him every day or every other day then make sure that you repeat the ritual of rehearshing him in the box for 10 - 15 minutes at a time at least once a week so he doesn't forget about it . He'll get used to it as a regular thing that you do together . Treats are a necessity . After spending time in the load chamber he gets a special treat . Find out what he likes to eat : carrots and apples are always favorites (but don't overdo it , just a bit is fine)
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12056 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Dittos on everything Dai said. I have a Dwarf also and he is a bit big (2.5 lbs) for a Dwarf. His first big show is 3 July.
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
I have a friend who has a Netherland Dwarf and it is 3.5 pounds. The same weight as my Holland lop. Is this uncommon for a Netherland Dwarf to be so big?
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12056 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I've heard the max is 3 lbs. Mine is 11 months now and is 2.7 lbs now.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Mines bigger than average as well, perhaps he will have to hop to the shows,lol! I have a cross breed of a lop and a neth. dwarf so far shes staying small but she may be a biggun!

Matt
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2004-06-18 19:51, J.S.llusionDesigns wrote:
I have a friend who has a Netherland Dwarf and it is 3.5 pounds. The same weight as my Holland lop. Is this uncommon for a Netherland Dwarf to be so big?

A pure Netherland Dwarf Bunny should not get to be that large. Sometimes you need to watch their diet though, and I always try to buy bunnies that had relatively small (2.5 lbs. or less) parents. I always buy from a breeder and check the registration papers. I am lucky to have found to very good breeders that live within a drivable distance from me.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12056 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I try to exercise my bunny at least once a week and before the shows, I limit his diet a bit.
Been thinking of buying another buck dwarf cause I have a double hutch and would like to do a transpo effect (Tarbell 3). Put a black bunny in my Rabbit Vanish box and when the kids scream door number 2, show them he has turned into a white bunny. Then after removing him, truly show the vanish box empty.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I used to do that effect Candini. My black bunny died last year, so I don't do it anymore. I currently have 3 Netherland bucks. I have 2 double outdoor hutches so I may add another later on, if I find a need. It's not a whole lot harder to care for 3 or 4 Netherlands as it is for just 1.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12056 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Regan. I called the bunny lady today and she didn't have any white bucks right now. She said she usually breeds a bigger doe so she can have a larger litter.

She did mention even with a double hutch, my older male may try to get at the younger buck. I have my hutch separated by a double 1/4 wire piece.

Did you buy your rabbits together or one at a time?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I bought mine one at a time. They are not related and I bought them from 2 different breeders.

I keep mine seperated by 1/2" mesh wire and I have never had a problem. Usually when a new bunny moves in nextdoor I have just noticed a lot of curiousity. They want to look at each other and they act excited and ran around a lot. After a while it subsides and they don't seem to pay that much attention to one another. I have never had them try to fight or anything like that through the wire.

That is my experience anyway. I don't know if that is the 'norm' or not.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12056 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Regan,

I think sometimes breeders forget that some people don't have 200-300 rabbits in their backyard:)

Still looking for one, sent some emails out to surrounding counties.

C
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Good luck Candini.

Regan
Mister Mystery
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Greetings! I'm new to this area and to using rabbits but have been doing magic and escapes for over 20 years. Bought two sisters which were to be a Holland Lop and Dwarf mix. One black. One white. They are both HUGE now! I'll have to rebuild! Although there's always that sawing a rabbit in half idea Smile

Clyde
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
You have to be careful and know what to look for when buying Netherland Dwarf bunnies. The first rabbit I bought was a mix and ended up being too large. I gave it to my daughter's teacher for a class pet. The kids loved it, it was well cared for, and I still got to see it whenever I wanted. I learned my lesson and I learned more about Netherlands before I bought another.

Regan
Mister Mystery
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I bought a Holland Lop eared as a baby and it was so cute and so small. That was 3 years ago. Now it's HUGE! It also poops everytime you touch it. I cannot bring myself to put it back in the show. It seems unprofessional to me to allow an animal to "do it's thing" in someone elses house. I realize the pellets clean up easy but it just seems wrong to me. Short of buying a "cork", how do you train your wabbit not to do this? Or do you not worry about it. How do you keep it from messing in the load chamber?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
My main Netherland Dwarf that I use in in most of my shows has never messed up a magical box...yet. (Knock on wood) I try not to leave him loaded very long.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12056 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Dittos here also. How old is yours? Usually they will try and hold it. Try not to feed or give it much water the day before the show. I give mine a light feeding in the morning before an afternoon show and then lavish it afterwards........
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have a 4 year old, a 2 1/2 year old, and a 2 year old. And yours?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12056 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Mine is 11 months old. I found a breeder 156 miles south of me, she is checking but thinks she is sure she has a white male dwarf. Have to convince wife.

I know there are transpositions, turning my black one into white. Could do it with my vanish box but I think there are better ones. The vanish box doors may come open.

Posted: Nov 13, 2004 2:59am
---------------------------------------------
Well, its the wee hours and breeder is suppose to be driving here to go to the airport. I am suppose to meet up to pick up the new red eyed white buck.