The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Paddle Moves Done With Knives, Lighters Etc ? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4230 Posts

Profile of warren
I have performed The Amazing Jumping Arrow for years and have also been performing Turbo Stick for a while and was thinking of adding another paddle type trick.

Having had a look I would like to add something like colour changing knives to my repertoire, this then brings me to other similar effects such as Flash by Chad Long which although is a great effect it appears to have been made incorrectly meaning that it should have come with an all red drive to enable you to finish clean. I know that Chad later added these to his site however they are hard to come by now. You also have colour changing lighters and variations on that such as No Smoking by Jean-Luc Bertrand.

Personally when I try to do the paddle move with Bic lighters I find it a bit hit and miss due to a combination of the rounded edges on the lighters themselves and dry hands and so on to my question.

Is it easier to do the paddle move and variations of the paddle move with colour changing knives than it is with the lighters or would I encounter the same problems ?
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I think one of the best paddle tricks are Jumping Gems with 2 or 4 sticks ( Rick Hill or Michael Baker offer them) many to watch at youtube
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Also on your original questions if the prop is too wide , the move becomes difficult, Mogar knives are easy to handle, merrick too. Daryl's knives for instance, for me were very difficult to turn. I can not use the lighters and I sold long' sticks as well
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4230 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for your input pabloinus it's much appreciated Smile
marduk41162
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of marduk41162
For your consideration:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/628547017
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4230 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2019, marduk41162 wrote:
For your consideration:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/628547017

Thanks I appreciated your input but I'm not really a fan of the hotrod effect as good as it is.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
BIC Lighter? I do the Vanishing Logo with that. I also do business cards...really colorful ones work best.

Doug
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4230 Posts

Profile of warren
In the end I was able to pick up a 4 knife Mogar Stag set second hand for less than half price with the added bonus of no import tax to pay so happy days Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You cannot do better than Mogar, in my opinion.

Doug
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I am sure everyone has heard this ...

Basic Paddle effect ...
2 sides - 3 effects

Signal Paddle ...
4 virtual sides - which gives multiple colour change
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Halloween is coming. Randi Rain (sp?)--Raincloud Magic-- makes a clever paddle trick with a Vampire who vanishes after receiving a stake through his heart...

Julie
TheGladsomeBeast
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TheGladsomeBeast
I do some paddle moves with sharpies and get great responses. You can do some great sharpies routines with it.
Pauldelafontaine
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Pauldelafontaine
Quit Smoking (I believe its called) by David Stone
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
This month's (June 2021) Penguin magazine has a pair of popsicle sticks for an arrow effect -- it provides no technique on how to do the move with those wide and flat popsicle sticks. Any insights? Thanks!

Phil, perplexed.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
This month's (June 2021) Penguin magazine has a pair of popsicle sticks for an arrow effect -- it provides no technique on how to do the move with those wide and flat popsicle sticks. Any insights? Thanks!

Phil, perplexed.

Dear Phil perplexed,

I have always found doing the paddle move with a flat object works well when I allow the paddle to come to rest on the outer side of my curled second finger as I complete the first turn. This gives a kind of base or wall that seems to facilitate making the second return turn easier.

It's a knacky thing that I may not have explained as clearly as I would have liked, but let me assure you it does work.

Julie
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2021, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2021, docguitarman wrote:

Phil, perplexed.

Dear Phil perplexed,

I have always found doing the paddle move with a flat object works well when I allow the paddle to come to rest on the outer side of my curled second finger as I complete the first turn. This gives a kind of base or wall that seems to facilitate making the second return turn easier.

It's a knacky thing that I may not have explained as clearly as I would have liked, but let me assure you it does work.

Julie

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your reply. I'm not following your description. I was trying to hold the stick flat between my thumb and my 4 fingers held flat... just like the typical paddle hold. Can't turn it of course. I tried clipping it between my thumb and different combinations of my other fingers to facilitate the move but that was less than satisfactory. That's my problem, I can't turn it, period.

I think Penguin should have inserted a photo of how to hold popsicle sticks for the paddle move!!

Phil
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Phil,

Try holding it between your thumb and forefinger only...

Julie
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2021, Julie wrote:
Phil,

Try holding it between your thumb and forefinger only...

Julie

I've come up with this.

Using my right hand, I clip the stick in a shallow pinch between my index and second finger. The wide part is flat against the index and second finger. If I place my thumb on the edge I can rotate the stick slightly to the right and the wide part rests on tip of index. I place my thumb on the narrow side. The thumb can then rock the stick back and forth as it is retained by the index and second finger.

I'll post photos.

Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Starting position (get ready).

Click here to view attached image.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thumb on edge with stick in ready position.

Click here to view attached image.