The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Guy Hollingworth Reformation video (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Yuji
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
138 Posts

Profile of Yuji
I heard there is a video for teaching Reformation. But I don't know where to order it. Please help. Thanks.
Morganite
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Morganite
Hello,

You can't find it. It's sold out.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I have the Reformation Video, and I put it on CD with Daniel Garcia's TORN. What a CD!
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Saw it once on Ebay and the start bidding price is UK 195 Pounds. After that, I never saw that again.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
195 pounds...

Wow!

And reformation is a tv trick, so IMHO it ain't worth it. Smile

But it's fun to know the secret of it---from DRAWING ROOM DECEPTIONS, which I take many of you already have.

:worry:
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
IMHO it is NOT a TV trick!

It is a reputation maker for me.

I close with this effect and have won a few close-up contests with it in my act!

Spectator's jaws literally drop when they see this beauty in person! Worth the 195 pounds because it is VERY hard to learn from the book!
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I am curious as to why Mr. Biddle you think it is a TV trick? It can, has been, is being done in the real world. It is the most comprehensive piece-by-piece restoration ever created. It has become the bar for which all other T&R's are measured.

Can you give us a bit more insight as to your post?

Cheers,

jason
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
While the Hollingworth video may be out of print, there is a video by Chris Kenworthy called "Free Formation" which, except for some differences during the selection and signing, is essentially the same handling as Hollingworth's. More importantly, the video can be found at an affordable price.

So between Drawing Room Deceptions and this video, you ought to be able to learn the Reformation. So even though the version I perform can best be called "The Reformation", I still adopted a few of Kenworthy's little touches that I liked, such as the way he turns the card over to show the back of it is nice.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Why would something so good go out of print?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Quote:
IMHO it is NOT a TV trick!

It is a reputation maker for me.

I close with this effect and have won a few close-up contests with it in my act!

Spectator's jaws literally drop when they see this beauty in person! Worth the 195 pounds because it is VERY hard to learn from the book!

;)
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of toberman
MagicChris, it went out of print because Guy sold it as a limited release promising never to produce any more. You have to give him credit for keeping his word. I am sure he could have made lots of money re-releasing that tape.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I'm one of the original owners OF THIS MOST AWESOME video and I'm sooo glad he kept his promise!

: )
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
It seems like Guy, unlike so many others out there, actually treats his word as his bond. I'm seeing less and less of this as the years go by.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear!
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1103 Posts

Profile of Nash
My brother, GO BUY THE BOOK.

Instead of paying 195 pounds for a video, you only need to pay 45 (right?) for his book that includes explanation for Reformation, plus all the unique magic from Hollingworth.

GET THE BOOK. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-04-18 20:46, Geoff Weber wrote:
While the Hollingworth video may be out of print, there is a video by Chris Kenworthy called "Free Formation" which, except for some differences during the selection and signing, is essentially the same handling as Hollingworth's. More importantly, the video can be found at an affordable price.

So between Drawing Room Deceptions and this video, you ought to be able to learn the Reformation. So even though the version I perform can best be called "The Reformation", I still adopted a few of Kenworthy's little touches that I liked, such as the way he turns the card over to show the back of it is nice.

Geoff,

Thanks for the very useful piece of information regarding the Kenworthy video. It is nice to know that an alternate source for viewing and learning most of the Hollingworth handling on this effect is available.

This seems a win-win situation for all concerned:

1. The people wishing to learn and master the Hollingworth effect will be better able to realize their goal.

2. The Hollingworth book sales are stimulated knowing that there is an available video aid that will assist in the learning this hard-to-explain complicated handling.

3. The Kenworthy video sales are stimulated knowing that this video will assist in the learning of the Hollingworth effect.

4. The smug holders of the Hollingworth video can continue to hold onto their precious artificially induced valued videos and let these videos continue to ripen into cult and collector status.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
How similar is this Kenworthy effect to Hollingworths? I've seen numerous ones, like Ripped and Restored, Reparation, etc., but these didn't have the cleanliness of the Reformation.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-04-19 01:14, toberman wrote:
MagicChris, it went out of print because Guy sold it as a limited release promising never to produce any more. You have to give him credit for keeping his word. I am sure he could have made lots of money re-releasing that tape.

Wow, you got to give him credit for standing by his word! Go, GUY!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Guy Hollingworth has another video, "Routines", that has a performance of Reformation. I assume that you could use this video, along with the book, to come up with a nice presentation. Since I am not familiar with the video, I am making an assumption.

The video is available from Hocus Pocus.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Amosmc,

Wow! That is also great news. Now there is an actual alternate Guy Hollingworth video source for learning this routine. Hopefully, it follows the routine in the book. Is the Reformation effect on the "routines" video a "performance only" or is it an instructional video on this effect?

I'd also be interested to learn if his "Routines" video came before or after the "Reformation" video, and did the "Routines" Reformation have any (significant or otherwise) handling changes or improvements over the original handling on the "Reformation" tape or in his "Drawing Room Deceptions" book.

I'm guessing that the "Routines" video came out later because if the "Routines" video came out first. Then what would be the point or the motivation for then releasing a dedicated "Reformation" video?

Query: If the "Routines" video came out after the "Reformation" video and contains his "Reformation" video routine, did Guy violate his promise not to re-release the "Reformation" video?

Technically, probably not. However, if the material on the "Reformation" video is identical and is then compiled with additional material, from a practical standpoint, it might be argued by some less charitable than I that the Reformation video/material has been re-released.

Oh! The pain! Trying to figure out the answers to these convoluted questions. I'm going to go take two aspirins. Call me in the morning. I'm just glad that there is another Guy Hollingworth video source for this routine.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
vwc06
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of vwc06
The clip on Routines is performance-only.